Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Watch an inlet grow
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/16/2023 10:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/16/2023 10:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

A bit complicated, but you need Google Earth PRO. Go to Smith Point Park on Long Island. There's a big inlet with a big tidal delta on the lagoon side (just a bit like at Sebastian) to the west of the beach park. Go to "view" above the screen > Historical Imagery, and go back to 2012. In April, no inlet. November, a cute little inlet. Quickly turned into a pretty big inlet.
 07/17/2023 07:41 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

That is fun! In the 3/2012, you can see deep water up the edge of the island, probably a previous inlet that location. Serious overwash in the 11/2012! Almost healed, in 10/2017, nice bar. Good surf 9/2019! Generally, south side eroding, north side accreting, inlet moving south, crowfoot delta formation lagoon side, all in keeping with expectations of coastal geology. Must have a limited sand supply to keep it from closing entirely (?). Nice show and good find.

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 07/18/2023 05:54 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

What with the story on the arrest of an accused mass murderer, I checked for Gilgo, then slid over to Smith Point, where I recalled that the inlet might have been recent. Yup. I think the new inlet had shown some benefit to water quality in the lagoon.
    Vero Beach has a part-time inlet at one of its city parks. There's been talk of building some kind of long culvert under the park to let water move between lagoon and ocean. Seems unlikely to happen. South end of Cocoa Beach, of course.
    It would have been interesting to evaluate moving Sebastian Inlet for the new bridge.
FORUMS : NPNR : Watch an inlet grow

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .