Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: OLDTIMERS: Do you remember. . . ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/12/2009 03:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/25/2010 09:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

Gulf station--AKA "Wolf's beach"--Wolfgang lived in the neighborhood behind it.

Wolf, Henry Wallen, Billy lived right on the corner always rode a big board, Bill Mattley, 20 or so Carroll brothers...

-------------------------
 02/25/2010 10:39 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Most of the guys being mentioned were a bit older than me. (I was in 9th grade when crankit graduated from SHS.) So, I'm not the authority, that's for sure. Just hitting my recollections. Other names - Larry Mann )(his mom collected lunch money at SP Elem), Walt Santee (his sister, Karen, babysat for me and my younger brothers), Harry Clark, Joe Nanny, Pat Kyle, Jack Kirschenbaum, and a bunch more that escape me now.
 03/26/2010 01:53 PM

rhymn001

Joined Forum: 03/26/2010

Bernard's Surf Restaurants crab bisque soup was the best I have ever had, and their skirt steak.

Alma's for a great pizza and Italian food & Ramon's for a great Caesar salad.  Lums in Satelite Bch. after surfing.

Running the AP's at P.A.F.B. ragged on dirt bikes--

Don mon Grassio aka Chris Springer practicing his stagger wearing that sombrero (may he rest in peace).  What a hoot he was!

"the good ole days"

03/28/2010 04:40 AM

artman

Joined Forum: 03/10/2009

Nice! Alot of  history there, its cool to see that there are lifetime locals still involved in surfing. This only goes back to the 80s but does anybody remember " The Morning Sun " restaurant ? It was located in the corner of the plaza that MTB and Bunkys are located. That was the only place that would show surf movies while you dined and was sure to get you amped for the morning sesh .

03/28/2010 04:54 AM

BalsaBill

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Originally posted by: artman

Nice! Alot of  history there, its cool to see that there are lifetime locals still involved in surfing. This only goes back to the 80s but does anybody remember " The Morning Sun " restaurant ? It was located in the corner of the plaza that MTB and Bunkys are located. That was the only place that would show surf movies while you dined and was sure to get you amped for the morning sesh .

And they had a great fritata.

Wooden Boards for Iron Men
 03/30/2010 07:07 AM

eibla

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

Wet "T" Shirt contests at Moe Kirschenbaum's Missile Lounge (I think that was the name) across from Bernard's Surf.

Jeff Crawford, Greg Loehr and Mark Rhodes on the Oceanside Surf Shop Team.

20 cent tolls on Pineda and 528 causeways. (Always paid the grumpy Indian toll taker in pennies, he HATED that!)

The Booby Trap Lounge! (No Comment)

George Panton's "Desperation" (aka "Inspiration) Surf Shop in South Cocoa Bech next to the 7-11.

Speaking of "Inspiration" Surfboards. My younger son "rescued" one from a trash pile some weeks back and brought it to me to make it rideable. Though it's in one piece it's beat to hell and brown and above my repair skills. I haven't measured it but it's a single fin semi gun shape, 3 stringers around 7'0". Definitely an early '70's shape. Small "Inspiration" decal on the deck near the nose.

The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness -
John Kenneth Galbraith

03/30/2010 08:39 AM

artman

Remember " Clines' bait and tackle "?  The owner had a huge gun collection strewn about the place in no particular order literally piled up in some cases. I'd say maybe 600 + guns maybe more, everything from muskets to machine guns. I tried to do an internet search to be more acurate but found nothing. Those who have been there would agree that it was cool to browse around in there while picking up bait.

03/30/2010 06:55 PM

Fairweathersurfer

Joined Forum: 09/19/2009

Old man Cline got ripped off years ago. He had way more than 600 guns, and would get really pissed if you tried to buy any of them. Had an old red Doberman (that roamed the store)who would have followed a burglar home. I heard that his survivors did sell the remainder of the gun collection for a pretty penny.

03/30/2010 07:14 PM

shifty

Joined Forum: 08/01/2008

hey   howlin wolf  doug d eal and me  gettin him in the mood   and the lead guitar player  came over  and asked us to back off and howlin  said they dont let me do it like I use to...david fester    johnny winter coming over to satellite motel ..and lori ...that was the satillite motel

surf to you drop God Bless

03/30/2010 08:39 PM

artman

Then there was" Bills bait and tackle" which was a bar/resturaunt , i'm not sure they even sold bait but they had the best homestyle meals there and the owner would cash everyones paychecks for them on Fridays- good time to collect money for the tabs he would let people run through the week. Another place that was pretty cool was " Fuzzys' second hand store on the corner of Highland and EauGallie Blvd. He had everything from baseball gloves to old fishing gear piled high and hanging from the ceiling. I bought my first surfboard there for about $ 15.00 ( had more holes than a spaghetti colander) i think i spent more than that on " Dupont clear cement " to patch them, i had only been exposed to surfing once by then and didn't know better - hell, i didn't even know they had surf magazines by then.

Edited: 04/03/2010 at 06:34 AM by artman
 04/07/2017 06:34 PM

Jamiller

Joined Forum: 04/07/2017

Yes.  I remember operation stretch at Freedom 7 and I have the original pictures that were published in the Today Paper from those days.  My family was one of the original Cocoa Beach families back in the day of the Apollo moon landings. Our couch (Stetson?) had us kids go out to the islands and camp for the night and go through all of that outdoors survival stuff.  I remember it well and have the original newspaper when it was covered in the paper.  Call me if you are interested.  518-306-6216.

04/11/2017 08:19 AM

IHBPatrick

Joined Forum: 05/14/2009

Anyone remember Catri's original Surfboard Hawaii shop in Satellite Beach? It was in the NW corner of the building where Ricky Carroll had his shop. IT was maybe 20' by 20'. Shagg had a sewing machine in there and made custom fit lined corduroy baggies, for $8.00. My mom flipped when I bought a pair. It was there a short while, maybe a year, before they moved it to Indialantic.

Standard attire for us were pocket tee shirts from J. C. Penney's back then. Saw my first silk screened Surfboards Hawaii tee there. All of $2.00 bucks, with the extra large logo script on the back.

Bought my first custom board there. Oh, did we think we were hot shit back then, or what!?

04/11/2017 08:40 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

The shaping room at Shaggs, watch him shape our boards and burn one!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 04/12/2017 06:30 AM

Ripper65

Joined Forum: 12/08/2003

Hess Station in I.H.B.(mid 70's).........Salty Dog......late 70's/early 80's in I.H.B.

Well then...........DO IT!!!
 04/12/2017 07:57 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: LBLarry The convenience store / sub shop just past Oceanside SS ... what the heck was the name of it? Was it Patrick Deli? The Mexican Rest across the street from ^^ .... Gringo's (I think) ... Do remember that they served great breakfast and we had a friend that cooked there. We would order pancakes and he would load up eggs, bacon and sausage between the layers. The Rest across from the Glass Bank (it has been a 10000 dif ones) was a Pizza place in the mid 70's. Can not remember the name (I am detecting a theme here) ... I do remember that the owners had an INSANELY hot daughter!
Pizza Joes!! My Dad would take me there after I got in trouble at school per my Moms advice. He'd drink beers and I'd get a slice of pizza "tell your Mom we had a talk" I'll never forget that. The surf swing at the end of Dempsy dr. The half pipe in the islands across from Dempsy park that I almost broke my neck on. Pine trees all over the beaches. My cousin was married at Gatsbys and I was the ring bearer. TONS of memories. Great thread.
 04/12/2017 06:35 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

hah, I surf by the old Hess station frequently.  My wife is SHS '73 and her sister is '71 and grew up off Desoto/Marco Way.  My buddy Billy ('71) reminds me of a jewish baker he used to work at around there also.  

FORUMS : NPNR : OLDTIMERS: Do you remember. . . ?

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146498 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .