Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Dead and Co. Pre-Sale Amway & Sunrise today
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/22/2017 12:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/07/2017 08:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

Not sure he really crapped on them. If you read his post he only said he didn't like the 20 min jam (which I, as a Dead Head, admit can be an acquired taste and varied in quality from night to night; my wife hated them). Also, the band in 1968 played waaaaaay different music than that which most people now love. The band only really came into their own in the early '70s (which is why that period is considered the Dead's best by most long term fans). For my part, I have seen a lot of shows with a few stinkers among them (not many, but a few). I like to think that makes me a knowledgeable and discerning Dead Head, not somebody who is "crapping on them".
 12/07/2017 09:25 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I've never seen the GD, but I imagine Phish is a close 2nd. Phish was extremely entertaining back when I saw them in the 90s. Would I go see them again or the dead? Eh...probably not.

Too much money and it seems the jam bands are now about maximizing profits. But, more power to ya. Glad to see that live rock ain't dead yet! (almost though)

You guys can hammer me as I'm going to see Katy Perry in Orlando for the 2nd time next week. She puts on a fantastic show.

Rock On!
 12/07/2017 01:18 PM

bus

Joined Forum: 10/01/2007

12-29-1968? is theis the night Howard?

Lovelight, Dark Star > St.Stephen > The Eleven > Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Feedback > We Bid You Goodnight

Shit, most who had seen them by then would have said they got a damn good show.

And to be fair, after the first song it's more like a 30ish minute jam that goes to the end of their very short set.

https://archive.org/details/gd68-12-29.sbd.cotsman.5425.sbeok.shnf 

^Listen ^

12/07/2017 01:28 PM

bus

Originally posted by: Central Floridave  You guys can hammer me as I'm going to see Katy Perry in Orlando for the 2nd time next week. She puts on a fantastic show. Rock On!

Key word there, see. 

And phish really isnt a 2nd as much as they are a 1st as well. Just a different brand of apple.  

the 1970's GD is probably my favorite era, that and trhe late 80's early 1990's of when I got to go to shows. That being said the primal energy of their live sound from 68 through early 1970 is a good listen. 

Read up on their early PA work ( even before the Wall of Sound). They probably did more for live sound than any other early 'rock band'. 

I'd bet a lot of the technology that their sound guys put forth is being utilized for Katy Perry's soundtrack next week.

12/08/2017 05:48 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Hey now, don't get me wrong, the GD was great, that is for me until their endless "Jam". I just never got into "Jams", by anybody. After a show I once told Duane that it was all good but that the "jam" was a bit much for me.

Now, at Gulfstream, it was during the daytime that I saw the GD (Saturday?), the Main Stage closing act that night was Steppenwolf. I've been looking for a good source for the performance schedule.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 12/09/2017 07:25 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Shows have been rescheduled for:

2/26 - Lauderdale
2/27 - Oville

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 12/13/2017 11:03 AM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

"Thank you everyone for the well wishes. Had surgery yesterday and woke up to see some amazingly kind and loving tweets. I'm so sorry that we couldn't finish out the last few dates of the tour. This band and these shows mean the world to me. Love you all dearly"
Dec 6

"I'm a warm, pilled-out froggy, whizzing my golf cart around the internet, doffing my wool cap to everyone I pass. beep beep hellllloo electric guitars let me get a look at you"
Dec 7

John Mayer tweets

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
 01/25/2018 06:42 AM

bus

Originally posted by: SurferMic I'm going...I'll try to snag a show poster for you Bus, I do not do paypall but I'll take you on your word.  One day it will end...for good.  Mayer is Ok, really good guitarist but I just do not like his voice...would rather see Trey on stage..The "Treyful" Dead 50 yr ann. run was better IMO,  2nd night in Santa Clara was really good.  Looking forward to the show!

If youre still going I'd love to get a poster. Send me a PM with your postal address and I'll send you either a check or money order etc. Posters have been running about $40 or so.

01/25/2018 06:44 AM

bus

Looks like they are doing another Summer run. We're doing Raliegh, Blossom and possible Darien Lake. 

Depends on what Phish Summer shows we do...Raleigh for sure on that one... 

01/25/2018 06:59 AM

bus

Originally posted by: spindrift Bob was, and is, underappreciated as a guitarist, singer, and writer. Go back and listen to the long jams. And bob more than held his own in those, just not as out front as jerry. Watch their acoustic jams together, jerry considered bob his equal. I worked a show with bob on ratdog. The piano player was johnny johnson, chuck berrys guy. Another completely underated co player. Bob shredded on leads y'all. A true american resource. Look up netflix video: "the other one" about bob

Was this at the Embassy? That was a great show. One of the encore songs  was ''Misty" !

01/26/2018 05:00 PM

Central Floridave

Bob Weir Receives Music For Life Award & Performs At 2018 NAMM Show

http://www.jambase.com/article...erforms-2018-namm-show
 01/28/2018 07:59 PM

bus

Thanks for that link Dave

02/07/2018 05:31 PM

Central Floridave

John Perry Barlow: 1947 - 2018
http://www.relix.com/news/deta...perry_barlow_19472018

John Perry Barlow, poet, activist and longtime lyricist for the Grateful Dead, has passed away at the age of 70.
 02/07/2018 06:05 PM

bus

Dave,

Thanks for posting that. I was about to post about Barlow but you already had. 

More than a lyricist....

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/02/john-perry-barlow-internet-pioneer-1947-2018 

"There he goes now here she starts..." who got his soul?

Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .