Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BEER!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/29/2018 12:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/29/2018 12:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Sparky

Joined Forum: 02/09/2005

Man is it just me. But since all these IPA's or micro breweries hit the market beer prices have gone nuts. It seems like wine is cheap now. Any suggestions for a guy who has maybe had one glass of wine in his life? I think I gotta start drinking wine.

Beer is going the way of coffee. It's not that I can't afford it but damn 5 bucks for a beer anymore. Maybe I am just a cheap bastard.

03/29/2018 01:24 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: Sparky

Man is it just me. But since all these IPA's or micro breweries hit the market beer prices have gone nuts. It seems like wine is cheap now. Any suggestions for a guy who has maybe had one glass of wine in his life? I think I gotta start drinking wine.

Beer is going the way of coffee. It's not that I can't afford it but damn 5 bucks for a beer anymore. Maybe I am just a cheap bastard.

Haha dilly dilly! Draft craft at bars and resturants is pretty obsurd, i get the beers are costly to make and spoil faster etc etc but it does get pricey quick.

I stick to mexican restaurants if I want some brews, most have dos equis for around $2 at least one night a week lol

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 03/29/2018 06:59 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

you would think that the flood of craft beer we are seeing the prices would drop but they haven't. Oh well. Take my money. We live in the golden era of craft beer.
 03/30/2018 03:44 AM

Zeus

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I agree.  The price of beer is getting out of hand, whereas there seems to be a surplus of wine on the market, resulting lower competitive pricing.  This is even true considering Florida taxes wine at 5X what it does beer. 

Right now one can get a bottle of a fairly decent wine for a buck or two more than a mass produced 6 pack and feel classier drinking it.  I've been finding some very good Argentinian Malbecs for about $10 and enjoying them more while drinking and pissing less overall.  Maybe that's becasue the prospect of having just one beer is absurd, but just one glass of wine quite reasonable. 

03/30/2018 05:28 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 03/30/2018 06:10 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

Prices sure have gone up. Not long ago I was paying $135 for a 1/2bbl (15.5 gallon) keg of Sierra Nevada, for instance. Prices now are $165 or so. A lot of the smaller, new brewers just don't have the economies of scale to keep prices down. Many of these upstarts are funded with personal debt and money scraped together however they could get it, so bringing in revenue to repay debt is a necessity.

On the restaurant/beer bar side, most every restaurant prices things out between 3 and 4x cost of ingredients. When it comes to some of the new beer bars out there, they go with the assumption that More Taps is Better. And that means they're buying mostly 5 gallon kegs rather than 15 gallon kegs. The cost to the bar of slim kegs can be 50% more than that of half barrels when you look at it ounce-per-ounce. So, if you have a bar with lots of slims kegs and high overheads, you're gonna see high prices. But every place has a different business model. I've seen a local place that is selling, for instance, Playalinda Robonaut Red Ale for $5 per 8oz pour. Coasters has it on tap for $5.25 for a 16oz pour.

03/30/2018 02:47 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

by God's awful plan, I've had to cut back on my beer consumption.  So now I revel in those few beers I get when I'm out, as I rarely have any at the house anymore.  It is now mostly a glass or two of wine with dinner.  I'm still a hardcore Coaster's supporter as they help out local groups like Surfrider.  Yeah, I have been to a couple of the new joints and freaked when I saw 12 oz pours for $8 bucks. I will gladly pay a little extra for Pareidolia beer as Pete is another surfer and surf supporter and damn good brewer, even if he is in Sebastian.

I remember when we had a hops shortage years back that kicked the prices up and they apparently have not looked back from that.

04/02/2018 07:12 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Thanks for the business perspective Dave, next time I am in town definitely have to come through and check your place out sounds awesome!

side note sierra nevada "hazy little thing" is pretty good!

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .