Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Inflatable Surf SUP?
Topic Summary: for those times I can't bring my goto board...
Created On: 05/27/2016 06:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/27/2016 06:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SurferEd

Joined Forum: 08/19/2003

After having one board ruined by leaving it on my roof all day, I find myself looking for something I can stuff in the trunk for work trips where I might get a chance to surf a bit. I've only ever seen one guy out on the Florida east coast with an inflatable and he wasn't too happy with it. Youtube videos of famous guys riding on perfect days aren't helping, as those guys could probably surf a piece of plywood as well.. Anybody here happy with their inflatable? Last resort is getting one from Sam's and trying it myself...but I have a feeling the one they sell wouldn't make a decent surfing stick...I could be wrong.

-------------------------
www.EdsEcoAdventures.com
 06/06/2016 06:16 AM

EJE

Joined Forum: 09/17/2015

I love them and highly recommend.    I've made it to the podium on sup races and surf contests on my 12.6 inflatable.  Tossed it in my trunk and drove to Key West to race it around the Island.   Checked it in as luggage on flight to California and surfed shoulder high waves in Malibu, Venice beach and Santa Monica.   Wiped out surfing on many a wave with my young kids on the nose when an othewise epoxy board would have injured them.   I'm actually planning on selling my 12.6 inflatable and 14 ft carbon raceboard and replacing them with one 14 ft inflatable.  Send me a pm if you would like  try out my 12.6 inflatable 

08/03/2016 07:31 AM

hurricane

Joined Forum: 05/12/2004

What do you look for that makes a good inflatable?
 08/04/2016 09:10 AM

EJE

Joined Forum: 09/17/2015

Rigidness is the most important.  

08/14/2016 06:25 AM

SurferEd

Thanks guys....I ended up getting the Sam's Club (California board) version to take on a trip up to the mountains. I figured there was a decent chance I'd never get to use it and didn't want a board on the roof for the whole trip. I used it on several lakes, even did a bit of fishing from it. I have an electric pump...but even with that, it was a good workout getting it to 14lbs. I later used it at the beach a few times when it was flat. I don't love the feel of standing on it, and that thing in a backpack is a bit deal to carry...but it does have it's uses. I'm gonna have to try to surf it someday...but more likely I will save it for trips where I think it's a longshot for me to get on the water. for surfing my goto board is a Brusurf Surf Shred 9'6"...

www.EdsEcoAdventures.com
 12/09/2016 09:42 AM

supguide

Joined Forum: 12/09/2016

Originally posted by: hurricane What do you look for that makes a good inflatable?

The strength of the seams is also really critical.  I can't tell you how many iSUP's I've had pop a stitch after a few years of use

See you out on the water!

-Todd
Stand up paddle board reviews 

12/11/2016 05:33 PM

PaddlingParadise

Joined Forum: 01/16/2013

Check out https://halagear.com/ or www.BICSUP.COM for two of the better inflatables out there.  They have come a long way, but still not great in the surf YET!

www.paddlingparadise.com        

12/11/2016 05:35 PM

PaddlingParadise

Ed, 

If you want to come by Paddling Paradise in Melbourne, we are on the water and you can try out some of the inflatables we have. I usually don't recommend them for surf. 

www.paddlingparadise.com        

12/11/2016 05:52 PM

PaddlingParadise

http://www.bicsport.com/sup/boards/product/id-92-performer.html

Almost bullet proof

www.paddlingparadise.com        

03/07/2017 12:31 PM

SurferEd

Thanks...I ended up buying a cheap one from Sam's just for when I had to travel for work. Those days are over, although I still take it along for trips up north, lake stuff. I can see them for those that absolutely have no way to have a regular size board, e.g., you live in a high rise condo with no storage, or you drive a convertible. I've had it now almost a year and have used it maybe 3 times, and I'm out on paddleboards at least 3 times a week. Anybody want a deal on used one, see me... Thanks! Ed

www.EdsEcoAdventures.com
 04/27/2017 02:24 PM

hsilio

Joined Forum: 09/15/2003

Seeing as this is an old post, I hesitated to write, but for the sake of those looking for information in the future I will add my ยข.02 I purchased from Paddling Paradise a pair(one for me and one for a pal) of ULI(ultra light inflatable)surfing SUPS due to my living arrangement at the time made it impossible to have "real" SUP. I researched and found ULI had the best design due to the "wikirail". Inflatable SUPS have a serious flaw for surfing, the rails do not have an edge, which makes for some control issues, but this brand does not have that issue. The folks at ULI were able to create a glued on edge that really holds on a wave face. I want to say I have had my inflatable ULI SUP for five or more years and have had zero complaints or problems. I surf anywhere from shoulder to knee high with it and on pretty hollow reef breaks. ULI also makes a few models of inflatable surfboards as well. Hope it helps.
 05/09/2017 06:41 AM

SurferEd

I'd like to add one more bit of info I have gathered over the last two years. I recently took the inflatable I have on a fishing trip down on Pine Island and found that it was basically like fishing for snook on an air mattress. Paddled fine, but I spent most of my fishing wading the flats anyway, so I was happy...what would really change things would be the purchase of one of those expensive inflators that you can get where you set the psi and sit back on watch it do all the work. My air mattress inflator (the Walmart kind) will only get the board to about 8-9 psi and you have to do the rest by hand...I know, we are here to exercise, but if I only had this board, I would have that special inflator as well....

www.EdsEcoAdventures.com
 06/27/2017 07:57 AM

SupSpanish

Joined Forum: 06/27/2017

Inflatable SUP make everyone happy unless you want to surf hardcore waves and do sharp turns, or want to plug an hydrofoil.

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .