Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Real Science for a change!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/21/2018 05:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/21/2018 05:01 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Drinking alcohol more important than exercise for living past 90, study says

When it comes to making it into your 90s, booze actually beats exercise, according to a long-term study led by University of California neurologist Claudia Kawas.

Cheers to life - seriously.

When it comes to making it into your 90s, booze actually beats exercise, according to a long-term study.

The research, led by University of California neurologist Claudia Kawas, tracked 1,700 nonagenarians enrolled in the 90+ Study that began in 2003 to explore impacts of daily habits on longevity.

Researchers discovered that subjects who drank about two glasses of beer or wine a day were 18 percent less likely to experience a premature death, the Independent reports.

Meanwhile, participants who exercised 15 to 45 minutes a day, cut the same risk by 11 percent.

"I have no explanation for it, but I do firmly believe that modest drinking improves longevity," Kawas stated over the weekend at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual conference in Austin, Texas.

Other factors were found to boost longevity, including weight. Participants who were slightly overweight - but not obese - cut their odds of an early death by 3 percent.

"It's not bad to be skinny when you're young but it's very bad to be skinny when you're old," Kawas noted in her address.

Subjects who kept busy with a daily hobby two hours a day were 21 percent less likely to die early, while those who drank two cups of coffee a day cut that risk by 10 percent.

Further study is needed to determine how habits impact longevity beyond people's genetic makeups.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 02/21/2018 06:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Yep, when you listen to an interview with those near 100, pretty much all of them mention light daily drinking. Whiskey seems to be the go-to elixir.

I started drinking red wine about five years ago for this very reason.

I was right.
 02/21/2018 06:10 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

People that can afford good alcohol and that have the restraint to have a real moderate intake (as opposed to drunky the desperate housewife that has 'a glass or two a day' when the glass holds half a bottle...) also have the means to afford good food and the palate to eat a healthy varied diet. 

I doubt the moderate alcohol boosts longevity but instead is correllated with good eating. People that drink good beer, wine, liquor tend to eat complete balanced meals as opposed to the "meat and potatoes" crowd.

This contrasts people that live off of Natty Light and McDonalds. 

02/21/2018 06:24 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Whiskey, unflavored vodka, and cabernet sauvignon are good choices because of their low/no sugar content.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .