Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Is the Kavanagh confirmation the end of Trump's usefulness?
Topic Summary: or just Trump's end?
Created On: 09/13/2018 12:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/13/2018 12:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Seems like the GOP is not going to have to defend the party of trump once he can't do anything for them anymore. The tax cuts and supreme court appointments are over and there's nothing on the horizon. I think they jettison him.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/14/2018 03:37 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Did he get confirmed?

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...
 09/14/2018 03:56 PM

Cole

I hope so! I'd love to have a SCOTUS judge with a gambling problem.

I was right.
 09/16/2018 08:37 AM

johnnyboy

Not yet and its hit some snags. Meanwhile, the latest Manafort news is adding to the clouds on the Trump horizon.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/16/2018 04:56 PM

goynleft

Joined Forum: 01/12/2010

The demon-Crat desperation is embarrassing to watch. No leadership, no message, no platform, nothing. Pure desperation and hysteria. The World is watching your tantrum. He will be confirmed. Trump is your president. < facts with verified sources.
 09/16/2018 06:13 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

You should resurrect some old threads about it- that was a winning move LOL

When America was "great"
 09/17/2018 04:52 AM

Cole

I hope so! I'd love to have a SCOTUS judge with a gambling/rapist problem.

I was right.
 09/17/2018 05:28 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

The people automatically assuming the rape accusations are purely a political move from the right are unfortunately every bit as bad as the people on the left that assume everything is automatically racist when it involved someone white.

'She had all this time to say something, why now?', and all this other nonsense. Sure, she could be full of shit but odds are that it is more likely was just a girl that was overpowered by a much larger and drunk guy that attempted to rape her. Shouldn't be shocking given that this pretty much happens on a daily basis on college campuses all around the country for pretty much ever. Why wait until now? Easy, seeing your attempted rapist on television about to be put into a position where he would have control over policy that affect, lives dredges up the past that she had probably tried to put behind her. Good on her, if she is legit, for having to relive some of those feelings to bring this issue with his character forward.
 09/17/2018 05:46 AM

Cole

Considering the poor parents of the kids killed in Newtown have had to endure years of abuse from the Right - death threats, one family has had to move seven times, I can completely understand her hesitation.

I was right.
 09/17/2018 08:32 AM

Greensleeves

Yes go to Fauxnews to see the hate directed at her already. She is truly brave to step forward.

GOP war on women tripped up... GOP blinking as moving forward with Kavanaugh will alienate women forever from their despicable and hateful party!

But more than that, Kavanaugh has no place on this Supreme Court. I myself have never attacked a woman or done anything to harm them. Seriously GOP dopes you can't come up with anyone better? How about nominating a woman?

Edited: 09/17/2018 at 08:33 AM by Greensleeves
 09/17/2018 09:04 AM

johnnyboy

I think that an attempted rape 35 years ago is worth knowing about, however, the criminal defense attorney in me has a problem with an accusation that is so old that it cannot be verified beyond the sworn testimonies of the accuser and the sworn denial of the accused. Kavanaugh has already been a federal Judge appointed for life for years and nothing has ever come up. I think this might slow down his confirmation but without more than conflicting sworn statements, this is a dead end.

09/17/2018 10:06 AM

Greensleeves

True johnnyboy. She passed a polygraph test on it

What does that mean?

Edited: 09/17/2018 at 10:08 AM by Greensleeves
 09/17/2018 11:30 AM

426Blue

Joined Forum: 11/18/2007

Doesn't surprise me one bit that these allegations never came up in the context of a background check for any appointment less than a supreme court appointment, because such appointments are not front page news. Why would these allegations come up in previous background checks, unless the FBI spoke with the accuser directly? I would guess that until now, Kavanaugh's accuser was not following his career, or had any knowledge of background checks on this guy. I would even guess that it would not occur to most non-lawyers that appointees to federal judgeships are subject to background checks, and the need for people in the know to speak up given judges' extraordinary power. Not to mention the volumes of problems with this appointee, without a rape / assault allegation, such as his hypocrisy and habit of letting his political and personal views influence his legal positions, (wildly different positions re: executive privilege depending on who's in office - see - Clinton - Lewinsky, O'Bama, and Trump), I would be surprised to learn that the accuser's allegations are not true. The accuser has zero motivation to make this up, and Kavenaugh has every motivation to lie about this. In fact, I can think of loads of reasons for the accuser to not speak up - she appears to have pretty good life without this. Hopefully: a) Kavenaugh comes to terms with this, admitting he did a terrible and not normal thing, even as a teenager - setting a good example for young people - this is not "boys will be boys" incident, like farting in your sibling's face; b) he gets removed from any consideration as a supreme court pick & gets removed from any federal judgeship; c) and the conservative right leaders grow some balls and morals - stop being afraid of Trump & stop trying to convince themselves that the ends justifies the means, which truly is the beginning of the end of a just and decent society.
 09/17/2018 11:34 AM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

[IMG][/IMG]

The embed code doesn't work anymore?

Edited: 09/17/2018 at 11:38 AM by 3rdworldlover
 09/17/2018 11:40 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Hmm... and the left seems to eat their own these days. "You aren't liberal/progressive enough!" .... Out come the pitchforks.
 09/17/2018 12:23 PM

tom

Left, right, whatever. Bleah. ^^^^What Blue said.^^^^

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/17/2018 01:11 PM

Greensleeves

Agreed tom 426 thumbs up
 09/17/2018 01:21 PM

johnnyboy

You do have a point. Nobody would know that, but the motivation to lie or tell the truth exists whether there is proof or not. Being able to prove or disprove something requires evidence and after 35 years, that will be hard to produce for the accuser and the accused. That is why the criminal courts have statutes of limitations.

09/17/2018 06:14 PM

3rdworldlover

The most damning thing I've heard so far is that she gave her account to a therapist many years ago, well before he was in limelight. Confirmation postponed...
 09/17/2018 07:09 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

^^^^ Yep- I was a bit iffy with it myself until I heard that. Sounds like a done deal if she described this to a therapist (witness) in detail a long time ago and they are corroborating now.

When America was "great"

Edited: 09/17/2018 at 07:30 PM by fishkller
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .