Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: They're Doing it Again
Topic Summary: And pulling out all the stops
Created On: 04/23/2019 10:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/23/2019 10:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zeus

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

The 2020 Democratic candidates are all promising voters free stuff again like there's no limit to US tax dollars that they can buy votes with. They all pretty much propose to reward those who have a proven lack of personal responsibility in order to gain the support of the simple minded voter. Free health care, free college, free housing and free debt relief with no personal accountability what so ever. Just vote for me! Problem is when it sounds to good to be true it probably is, especially when its coming out of a lying liberal politician's mouth. Aren't they really nurturing dependency?
 04/23/2019 10:40 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Trump promised infrastructure spending and to replace the ACA with "affordable health care". Those freebies happen yet?

-------------------------

04/23/2019 10:41 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

[cough] 2 trillion dollar tax cut [cough]

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".

Edited: 04/23/2019 at 10:41 AM by RustyTruck
 04/23/2019 10:44 AM

scombrid

On the free college front. I went to state school for undergrad. I paid for it with a summer job as a biotech. State school used to be affordable because it was heavily subsidized. You can't pay for state school with a summer job anymore. I guess we should just make the poor man go to work while the rich man goes to college while half this forum has another toke.

04/23/2019 10:45 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: Zeus proven lack of personal responsibility
Bankruptcies, failed marriages, buying kids' way into college. Yeah, lots of personal responsibility up there on the top end.

04/23/2019 10:47 AM

wtf

Joined Forum: 11/23/2005

Originally posted by: scombrid

Trump promised infrastructure spending and to replace the ACA with "affordable health care". Those freebies happen yet?

And a wall that MX will pay for. Still waiting...

Oh, but we can give away a trillion dollar tax cut to those that need it least.

There is no bound to the stupidity of dotards...

QOP = Terrorists
FK = Gay
 04/23/2019 10:49 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: RustyTruck [cough] 2 trillion dollar tax cut [cough]
Yeah, what was the tax structure like when the Interstate Highway system, the ICW, etc... were all built? How about when all the southern land grant universities were so cheap? Hell, when I went to state school in Virginia I almost went to Auburn or Texas A&M instead because the out of state tuition in Alabama and Texas was so cheap and those schools had good natural resource colleges like VPISU. I reckon I gots mine so all the kids coming up today should just stop eating avocado toast and pay their way through >20k per year school with whatever hourly wage they can get.

Edited: 04/23/2019 at 10:50 AM by scombrid
 04/23/2019 11:10 AM

RustyTruck

I have a kid in (public) university and it's not the tuition that's a killer, it's the cost of housing.

When I was at FSU a couple of guys could rent a house on the cheap. Not anymore, that's prime slumlord real estate now.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

04/23/2019 11:20 AM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

Originally posted by: Zeus

The 2020 Democratic candidates are all promising voters free stuff again like there's no limit to US tax dollars that they can buy votes with. They all pretty much propose to reward those who have a proven lack of personal responsibility in order to gain the support of the simple minded voter. Free health care, free college, free housing and free debt relief with no personal accountability what so ever. Just vote for me! Problem is when it sounds to good to be true it probably is, especially when its coming out of a lying liberal politician's mouth. Aren't they really nurturing dependency?

You left off reparations, the green new deal, and having the ability to abort children up until they are enrolled in kindergarten.

Hardly any of the candidates have anything new to say. They all just keep pushing each other further to the left, in an effort to differentiate themselves and then the rest of them come out with their me-too positions.

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 04/23/2019 12:01 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The pendulum will swing left for sure. Not that far left but this swing to the right has definitely foreshadowed the swing to the left.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

04/23/2019 12:19 PM

3rdworldlover

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Everything is far left of this nonsense
 04/23/2019 12:20 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: scombrid I reckon I gots mine so all the kids coming up today should just stop eating avocado toast and pay their way through >20k per year school with whatever hourly wage they can get.
avocado toast? too expensive. was ramen noodles. hoarded those flavor packets like they were crack. lucky days were white bread and tuna. took 10 years of doing without to pay off, but the struggle is part of who i am. part of growing experience. agree that college gotten out of hand with expenses. better to reign those in instead. might be more interested in this if i get reimbursed first, any plan for that?
 04/23/2019 12:25 PM

RustyTruck

Most all of the developed world has some form of national healthcare system and college education for its people.

But in the USA? It's impossible! We can't afford it! Madness!

LOL

04/23/2019 12:46 PM

Sniper

Joined Forum: 09/24/2003

Originally posted by: scombrid

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

[cough] 2 trillion dollar tax cut [cough]

Yeah, what was the tax structure like when the Interstate Highway system, the ICW, etc... were all built? How about when all the southern land grant universities were so cheap? Hell, when I went to state school in Virginia I almost went to Auburn or Texas A&M instead because the out of state tuition in Alabama and Texas was so cheap and those schools had good natural resource colleges like VPISU. I reckon I gots mine so all the kids coming up today should just stop eating avocado toast and pay their way through >20k per year school with whatever hourly wage they can get.

Why no pressure on colleges to keep costs down?

"The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," - George Bernard Shaw

“Don’t underestimate Joe’s ability to f—k things up.” - Barack Obama

“End of quote. Repeat the line.” - wise words from Joe Biden
 04/23/2019 12:52 PM

RiddleMe

Originally posted by: RustyTruck We can't afford it! Madness!
afford it sure. willingness a diff story. difficult sell to those that did it the hard way. selfish, sure. fair, nope.
 04/23/2019 12:53 PM

scombrid

Originally posted by: Sniper Why no pressure on colleges to keep costs down?
Two things going on. Subsidies have been cut. Student loans have distorted the market. Yeah, costs need to be reigned in too.

04/23/2019 12:54 PM

scombrid

Originally posted by: scombrid Yeah, what was the tax structure like when the Interstate Highway system, the ICW, etc... were all built?

04/23/2019 02:42 PM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: RiddleMe

Originally posted by: RustyTruck
We can't afford it! Madness!

afford it sure. willingness a diff story. difficult sell to those that did it the hard way. selfish, sure. fair, nope.

The decent person suffers, and says "no one should have to suffer like this".
The asshole suffers, and says "everyone should suffer like i did".

Which side you boys on?

04/23/2019 04:26 PM

RiddleMe

most kids dont understand the value of college. guaranteeing it is a waste. i would propose a 1:1 of service for education instead. doesnt have to be military, but can be. could be a multitude of programs. maybe even programs to help rebuild crumbling infrastructure. give idiots kids a chance to grow up. open their eyes to the life of labor they face without college. make them value it more. i could buy into that
 04/23/2019 05:02 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: Zeus

We are getting nothing out of your president and it's costing us a fortune. The people you voted for did nothing except a massive tax break from corporations and the wealthy in the two years they had total control. A success for the American? Not really...

Did you notice how most of those in the House who voted for the tax break bailed when if came to reelection? I wonder why?

I was right.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .