Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Sinking feeling: experts warn coastal towns should be 'abandoned' due to rising sea levels
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/24/2019 10:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/24/2019 10:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Sinking feeling: experts warn coastal towns should be 'abandoned' due to rising sea levels
Yahoo News UK David Harding,Yahoo News UK Fri, Aug 23 6:11 AM EDT

Many coastal towns should be abandoned because of rising sea levels, a group of experts has warned.

Environmental researchers at Harvard University say authorities around the world have to accept the inevitable.

They warn that the impact of climate change is going to mean coastal towns around the world disappearing.

And instead of wasting billions of pounds trying to save them, governments should make a "managed retreat" from many of the towns.

"We can do that the hard way, by fighting for every inch and losing lives and dollars in the meantime," AR Siders, an environmental fellow at Harvard University, said.

"Or we can do it willingly and thoughtfully and . . . re-think the way we live."

It may sound like a drastic warning, but the Harvard researchers insist that the relocation of coastal communities is no longer a question of if, but when and how for many.

"Retreat is happening," he told Science magazine.

"For retreat to work well, it needs to be part of a larger strategy, tailored to local circumstances, to long-term community goals."

The report backs up research released earlier this summer by Britain's Environment Agency.

In May, it warned that flooding caused by global warming could result in whole towns being moved away from the coast and rivers to keep people safe.

It made the warning as the government published its long-term strategy for managing the risk of flooding and erosion of the coastline.

The warnings could potentially impact on many people living on the coast or in flood plains in the UK and elsewhere.

It is estimated that around three million people live on the coast in the UK.

One study released last year estimated that more than five million British homes were at the risk of flooding because of their proximity to rivers, seas or other areas of extreme surface water.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 08/24/2019 11:21 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

relocation of coastal communities is no longer a question of if, but when and how for many......................Ah, so that is the question......................When..30 yrs?? 50 yrs for 1" -2" rise??.........When do you start relocation.... after a town is drowned??? the year before it is drowned???.... These Havard fellahs.... where do they live??? Are they relocating to higher ground???

08/24/2019 11:36 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

When insurance companies no longer offer 30 year mortgages?

I was right.
 08/24/2019 01:24 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Let's dismantle the EPA..

LOL

08/24/2019 04:43 PM

nukeh2o

Joined Forum: 03/18/2016

Yeah, silly dongsnatch: millions of acres of coastal real estate swallowed up and disappearing is just a hoot, huh? Yuk it up dork.
Cuz: you know better.
Cuz: unka donnie told you so.
Us coastal military facilities around the world are currently taking active measures to deal with comrade loofah"s "so called chinese climate change hoax".....so they can continue defending my beloved america from actual threats.
Like his Korean, Israeli, Arab, "RUSSIAN"!', Chinese fukbuddies.
The hell with our actual allies, right altbreits?
Sovereign island nations are buying access to higher ground when their land disappears underwater
etc etc etc.....
Wise. the fuck. up......
Deliberately stupid, willfully ignorant chumpfscum vermin represent the single most clear and danger to our world. Period.
duuuhhuuhuuh.......

It's a democratic hoax
 08/24/2019 05:53 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

I'm looking at some places in Chicago.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 08/24/2019 06:27 PM

theglide

Joined Forum: 08/06/2003

Us coastal military facilities around the world are currently taking active measures to deal with comrade loofah"s "so called chinese climate change hoax".....so they can continue defending my beloved america from actual threats.

Fact!
 08/24/2019 07:28 PM

dingpatch

Dear Nook, I am deeply sorry that you are unable to grasp the reality of most situations but, as it may be, I did not express any opinions in this post. I simply pasted a news article about what the esteemed researchers at Harvard suggest. It seems pretty clear to me that they are tacitly asserting that we are fooked in regard to rising of the seas. There really is not much, if anything at all, that we can do to stop it at this point. We can "talk" about it with our economic partners for another 30+ years but in the end there will be no change. But, , , , , given that it seems to be coming to a complete, world wide, disaster, we should consider military force to bring the rest of the world into line.

And, otherwise, as far as Cole's comment about 30 year mortgages goes, , , ,. You better believe that the Bank America types have already put together all the appropriate Power Points in regard to "best" and "worst" case scenarios when it comes to sea level. Their actuaries are busily working on establishing their "No Go" point. I'm thinking that it would be a money winning bet to say that your beach side property will be adjudged to have "no economic life" before you even know that such real estate things are happening. No home owners insurance, no equity, nothing, but you will still owe the whole nut. You will be dead before the Government gets around to "lending you a hand". It might just be me (what do I know) but I'd have to say that, as of now, you would have to be an idiot to get into a new 30 year mortgage for anything "beach side".

Dora Hates You
 08/25/2019 03:07 AM

Cole

I did not express any opinions in this post.

By forwarding information, it appears that you do.

I was right.
 08/25/2019 06:11 AM

dingpatch

Please, let's talk sensibly about this. Here is a link to one of the Harvard studies.

Some upsetting, but starkly real, excerpts:

>>. Of particular concern to human civilization is the fate of the world's coastal cities. Conservative estimates of sea level rise by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Changes (IPCC) project increases of more than half a foot to two feet by the year 2100. More up-to-date analyses by the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Program, which account for the effects of melting ice sheets around the globe, suggest that sea level will rise three feet to as much as five feet or more by 2100. Ninety years from now, in other words, vast densely populated coastal areas around the world will be underwater, including major cities - unless they prepare. <<

>> Kayden notes that the calculus over how many inches or feet, and by when must be coupled with the one certainty of politics: it moves slowly. "When you begin to align political terms of office, expenditures of money, and [questions such as] who wins, who loses, who pays," he says, "that constellation leads to a lot of thinking, but it doesn't lead to action. <<

>> Even a modest rise in sea level - the 12 inches expected by 2046 or sooner, for instance - combined with a powerful storm, a high tide, and the right winds, would make most of Boston briefly part of the Atlantic Ocean. Flooding from storm surges would be accelerated by modern conduits like sewers, subway tunnels, and turnpikes, and by square miles of impervious surfaces that don't soak up water but instead channel it into the heart of the city's infrastructure. <<

http://environment.harvard.edu/node/3272

Dora Hates You
 08/25/2019 06:19 AM

dingpatch

Here's a link to a list of "Abstracts" from Harvard. VERY interesting. Now, I know that many here may be upset to learn such things, particularly given the notion that none of these studies are politicaly motivated and otherwise do not reinforce what you may want to "wish for". Otherwise, yes, yes, yes, Al Gore is/was 100% correct and as such, Obama should have declared Marshal Law to get the situation corrected.

Try this link to start with, then "Find Similar Abstracts": http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016AGUFMGC21E1145T

Dora Hates You

Edited: 08/25/2019 at 03:23 PM by dingpatch
 08/25/2019 10:15 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

Sovereign island nations are buying access to higher ground when their land disappears underwater etc etc etc.....SO Numbfuck.....were you one of the asshats that were giving Trump shit about wanting to BUY GREENLAND???.....Seems like the TRUMP is trying to get ahead of the game but your shortsightedness is getting in your way........Wise. the fuck. up...... Deliberately stupid, willfully ignorant shortsighted vermin, like yourself represent the single most clear and danger to our world. Period. duuuhhuuhuuh.......

08/25/2019 10:32 AM

Greensleeves

Is nobodyelse asserting that twitler wanted to buy Greenland for environmental reasons? You know I haven't read up on the idiot in chief's motives on that one but I have a feeling it's got something to do with $ or chicks and nothing to do with climate change.
 08/25/2019 11:44 AM

nukeh2o

Here's a link to a list of "Abstracts" from Harvard. VERY interesting. Now, I know that many here may be upset to learn such things, particularly given the notion that none of these studies are politicaly motivated and otherwise do not reinforce what you may want to "wish for". Otherwise, yes, yes, yes, Al Gore is/was 100% correct and as such, Obama should have declared Marshal Law to get the situation corrected.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-...nph-abs_connect

A page of indexes of abstracts with no mention of anything about climate change or sea level rise.
Yessiree billybob, thats make it perfectly clear. As mud.
Now, you could post some links to someplace like NOAA or NASA. Or an actual oceanography and climate research institute like Wood's Hole or U.M. Rosentiel school of atmospheric and ocean science. Maybe those are too libtard and partisan for ya
Since they are quite firm in their conclusions that sea level rise and climate change are quite real. And caused by human actions
Nope: harvard....lol
Of course, then dumbodydense weighs in with his nickelbags worth.
Pacific islanders are facing an existential threat as their lands disappear under the ocean. Because of sea level rise. Period.
Chumpfs advisors brought up greenland to him as a joke. One he didnt quite get, apparently. (Yes, virginia: he really is that stupid).
One slight snag though. The people of greenland dont want to be sold off to yet another colonial power, they're already not real happy with being controlled by denmark. "We are not chattel"
Now, perhaps king loofa boy could declare "martial" law, issue an imperial edict. And send an invasion force to annex it. Maybe split it with his vladdie daddy
Kinda like the time his heroes stalin and hitler divided up eastern europe in the Molotov/Ribbentrop pact 80 years ago.
Commies and nazis working together. Kinda like chumpflandia today, huh?

It's a democratic hoax

Edited: 08/25/2019 at 02:00 PM by nukeh2o
 08/25/2019 11:44 AM

nukeh2o

Oh, yeah, and: duuuuhhhhhh.......

It's a democratic hoax

Edited: 08/25/2019 at 11:47 AM by nukeh2o
 08/25/2019 01:43 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Engineers will remedy the situation, it will be expensive but through the use of mechanical , water diversion techniques and structural addition/changes the additional water will be diverted ..again it will cost $$$ but due to the slow the relative slow rise, the "fixes" will be a step wise implementation ...not worried but also not saying sea level and global warming is false, Yes, there is an issue, and yes scientist and engineers will be able to save the coastal zones at a large cost.
 08/25/2019 02:06 PM

dingpatch

Hmmmm, , , , we're not arguing about wether or not the seas are rising, or what the cause is. This is about what we need to do about it.

And, I'm sorry that I did not pay attension to the source of the links. The "abstracts" as such are found at the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory/NASA ADS Physics Abstract Service.

Dora Hates You

Edited: 08/25/2019 at 02:07 PM by dingpatch
 08/25/2019 02:32 PM

nukeh2o

Now all we need is for herr fat macdonnie to declare hisself king of the chumperlands.
And we'll build dikes around the coasts of the U.S.....and: China will pay for it! After all: it's their climate change hoax, isn't it?
Yeah, that's it! And we'll bring in thousands of Dutch boys with big fingers to plug the leaks in it.
Should work just about as well as that border wall comrade chumpf has built, huh?
Maybe pigblo's trailer ranch in Mims will be waterfront after all.
Oh wait: president pence doesn't approve of dikes.......

It's a democratic hoax

Edited: 08/25/2019 at 03:30 PM by nukeh2o
 08/26/2019 04:58 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

"When insurance companies no longer offer 30 year mortgages?" Banks offer mortgages coleslaw!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
 08/26/2019 05:00 AM

crankit

Joined Forum: 07/30/2003

"I'm looking at some places in Chicago. " The south side would be perfect for you!

Romans 8;18-32 John 3;16-18
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .