Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: banana and indian river?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/15/2017 06:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/15/2017 06:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tertle

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

how the rivers looking after irma? had plans to fish down in vero this weekend with the kayak but think i'm gonna wait till things get back to "semi-normal"
 09/15/2017 03:02 PM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Murky but lots of bait in big pods, find the bait........
 09/15/2017 05:54 PM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Pyrodinium bloom is heavy in Rockledge area so the bioluminescence is impressive. Worried it might grow to higher densities though. 

Before the storm there were slot reds at the end of my street at daybreak and really big tarpon out along the channel. One morning the tarpon had bait pushed up on the shore and were crushing it. Today I saw a few big ones roll near bait balls so they are still hanging around middle IRL. No grass in my neighborhood. Hasn't been for awhile.

District is dumping water from Stick Marsh out C54. Their press release says it is to avoid sending more north into the flooded Poinsett, Geneva, Sanford areas than they have to. There's nine years of muck built up on the bottom of C54 since the Fay discharges in 2008. That water is pretty rank headed down the Sebastian.

I question the wisdom of their decision. Runs counter to what their hydrologists said in 2004.

Anyway. Hopefully the water they are sending down C54 is a drop in the bucket compared to the local run off from the storm down Turkey Creek, Eau Gallie, etc..... and it ends soon. That said, there are probably some fishing opportunities to be had where that water is running down in the transition zones between water masses. You can find a lot of bait and stuff crushing the bait on the edge of the dirty water. 

-------------------------

Edited: 09/15/2017 at 06:06 PM by scombrid
 09/15/2017 06:09 PM

cheaterfiveo

Just got out of sitories , there is so much water the trees are under water, and water is to top of dikes. No more room for water there
 09/16/2017 02:19 PM

scombrid

Yep Three Forks is full. Can still move water through it when it is full. It is currently 2' lower than Stick Marsh.

09/17/2017 06:55 PM

cheaterfiveo

I suppose yet tell that to the folks up north whose houses are flooding. It seems like it was too much water in a short time. Water is flowing today from sitories east to the outflow at TM Goodwin, overflowing the weir at c 40 and flowing from c 54. Busting those dikes would really suck. No matter how you slice it it has to be relieved
 09/18/2017 10:01 AM

scombrid

I would be nice to reclaim more of the flood plain west of Lake Washington and west of C40/St. Johns Marsh.

I don't guess there's any hope of those folks selling that land back.

09/18/2017 08:00 PM

cheaterfiveo

All of the land to Nova rd is underwater, rode all the way to the bridge, those pastures are flooded, that was an inordinate amount in a short span
 09/19/2017 06:09 AM

scombrid

The bottomland along Taylor Creek is not what I was referencing.

09/21/2017 05:14 AM

tertle

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

i was out a perkins a week or two before irma came through. water was pretty clear, mullet were swimming under/around me. tarpon were blowing them up right in front of me. even had a couple mullet wiz right by my head they were in such a panic. need to start bringing a rod in the line up and make a couple casts while i'm waiting between sets unfortunately now the water is stained up pretty good (inshore).
 09/22/2017 06:31 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The monitoring station just off of 192 on the St Johns is completely under water, the kissimmee River looks like a massive lake and the big lake is at capacity.

In times past, the cooling of the water seemed to keep the algae at bay, unfortunately, that's no longer the case. It's going to be nasty for awhile.

I was right.
 09/22/2017 09:08 AM

scombrid

I just checked the Stick Marsh gauge. It isn't even 6" above the schedule seasonal flood control low and is actually below the scheduled winter high right now. Level in Stick Marsh is falling as they continue to dump >2000 cfs out C54. I'm hoping that they'll close C54 soon and start sending water north again as things down stream of the upper basin project stabilize.

Blue Cypress has turned the corner and stopped rising. Water going out S96C is finally exceeding inputs from the creek.

Jane Green Detention Area (Bull Creek WMA) has a ton of water in it and that is where about 1/2 the flow in the St. Johns at 192 is coming from right now.

The marshes are very happy though. There's a widespread low grade fish kill in the river but not terrible considering the oxygen demand from flooded soils, tannins, etc... The marsh plants are loving the water and the ditch minnows and grass shrimp are going to reach plague abundance which is a boon to the bigger fish and all the fish eating birds when the water recedes. The white pelicans should like what they see when they show up after last year's drought conditions.

The flooding can be problematic for the folks that happen to be in its way, but the St. Johns marshes need this. Most years the soils are over-dried and oxidizing which causes a big discharge of disolved organic carbon when the rains do come (that DOM is the primary cause of the low oxygen fish kills). The over-dried soils are also what is allowing the willows and paragrass and such to over-run so much of the marsh.

I just hope that the tap doesn't get shut off like it did after Mathew last year and sent the St. Johns back into drought mode.

Look at the historical data from the 192 gauge going back to the 1940s and see how the river functioned before the flood control project really got cranked up in the late 1950s. The current water elevation is barely passing the annual high from the olden days.

We can't ever get the old hydrology back because it would flood too many people but the St. Johns does ultimately benefit a lot from these high water events and it would be nice to hold onto the water a little bit longer so the duration of annual drying of the marsh soils would be a little shorter.

09/22/2017 10:31 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

" plague abundance  "

I may need to borrow that phrase, thanks!

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 09/22/2017 10:54 AM

scombrid

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/pests-diseases/freshwater-pests/species/gambusia

Sadly, I didn't invent "plague fish". People where our gambusia aren't native have found them to be rather invasive.

09/22/2017 05:29 PM

cheaterfiveo

Lake Washingington crossover, now an underwater structure. Fished Stickmarsh last night, water flowing in from Fellsmere Reservoir, Blue Cyress pipe and all gates from Garcia, fishing is all time but at least a 4 to 5 knot current running through to c 40 and c54. Probably not as high as last January but lostsa water running over weir at Malabar, like scom said hope they hold some back for the spawn. It will be epic this season
 09/27/2017 06:02 PM

cheaterfiveo

Houses at Sarno extension/ Lake Washington still under water. What a mess
 09/28/2017 04:03 AM

Cole

Parts of Polk County are still under water and the Kissimmee River is still four feet higher than the high water mark during a rainy summer. Mosquitoes at the Kissimmee Prairie Preserve are at the ridiculous levels I've read about in settlers journals from the 1800's. My legs were black with the vicious little bastards in the middle of the day.

The outflow into the gulf and Atlantic is going to be nasty, the water in the Kissimmee is anything but clean.

I was right.
 09/29/2017 10:01 AM

scombrid

Originally posted by: cheaterfiveo Houses at Sarno extension/ Lake Washington still under water. What a mess

Some of this falls under self inflicted wound territory given the river's history of flooding. Gage heights 2 feet higher than the current level at SR 192 were common before the river straightening, ditch digging, levee building etc... was really ramped up in the 1950s. The baseline level was close to what is now our average annual maximum and the annual difference from high to low was smaller. The whole system just stayed wetter and drained more slowly.

The river is about 5 feet above the land that Heritage High School is on. I wonder how many people in Palm Bay realize that their fate is in the hands of the Army Corps and SJRWMD and the ability of C1 to convey water meant for the St. Johns down into Turkey Creek?

Astor drives me a little crazy. Flood stage is 2.8 feet and that is with the gauge zero point below sea level so that the 2.8 foot flood level is like 2 feet above sea level. I have trouble calling it a "flood warning" when the properties getting flooded are 200km from the river mouth and are getting flooded by water maxed at 3.5-4 feet above sea level. There's plenty of high ground in Volusia and Lake County so building that low should be entirely at the risk of the builder without flood insurance subsidy or the need of some kind of emergency declaration by authorities.

Butt, it might be a flood of historic proportions if we get a big rain on top of the water that is here. Bull Creek WMA already has a lot of water (Jane Green Detention area is the biggest volumetric storage in the St. Johns system). If the river hits 19 feet at 192 then they'll close the gates at Jane Green and really flood Bull Creek.

I ran around between 50 and 46 yesterday. We definitely have enough water already. Not really keen on seeing the Kissimmee Basin or the St. Johns go any higher.

09/30/2017 08:22 AM

Cole

Brevard got a solid dump of rain last night and it was concentrated on the St Johns. Those up-down stream aren't out of the water yet.

I was right.
 10/01/2017 08:14 AM

scombrid

Radar estimates 4-6 inches over an area from 95 to the county line from about Fellsmere to Vierra. 

There is a convergent band dumping on southern Brevard again this morning and the river is backing up from downstream because of the northeast wind and heavy rain from Flagler on north.

FORUMS : Fishing : banana and indian river?

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .