Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 1st boat, looking for someone to fish with
Topic Summary: Or advice
Created On: 10/20/2018 12:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/20/2018 12:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

woundupintx

Joined Forum: 10/11/2013

I recently purchased my first boat, a 18' panga marine. I haven't had a chance to fish much around here yet other than at the beach and haven't had the best luck so far. I live near Eau Gallie in Indialantic and have fished some between mathers and south of 192 and a few times around the inlet inshore. I've tried live shrimp, mullet once and a ton of artificials. Other than a few small trout, hammerheads, catfish and a few other trash fish that's all I've got so far. I haven't had the luxury of fishing with a trolling motor yet, as I just got an I-pilot, so hopefully once I get that installed it will up my catching percentages...been kinda tough fishing inshore without a trolling motor. Wanting to get out offshore a little bit too when weather and seas cooperate as well and don't have much experience at all offshore. Anyways, if anyone's got any advice or ever wants to come along I'm always looking for someone to fish with. I got the gas, ice drinks and everything. If you wanna chip in that's cool but I don't mind. Just looking for advice and someone to fish with. Look forward to meeting y'all and seeing ya on the water!
 10/22/2018 09:55 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

"Match the hatch" I'm sure the mullet run we had up here is probably still pretty thick down by you guys, so alot of fish will be preying on them...... so as far as lures go, my favs are usually soft plastic paddle tails (SLAYER, Zman, DOA).... either on a jighead, or on a weighted weedless hook when fishing the grass lines, skinny water, and oyster bars (all usually what I do). ZMAN shrimp is a good one to fish weedless along the grass lines, especially when Im fishing the higher / flood tides...... as far as hard baits, topwaters are my favorite at first and last light. I usually use the Mirrolure "Top Dog Jr.". Their Mirrodine swimmers are pretty good for trout.
 10/22/2018 10:00 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

And make sure to fish around bait pods in the river. Something is always hanging by them waiting for an easy meal.

-------------------------
I was right.
 10/22/2018 08:51 PM

woundupintx

Thanks for the input! At work now and not sure when I'll get back home yet. Can't wait to put that I-pilot to work. When the temps cool off over the next few months how should I be changing my fishing strategies inshore? Shallower or deeper?
 10/25/2018 07:59 AM

Plan B

This site is helpful too. I don't think solunar tables are the gospel, but they definitely have an effect in my experience. (especially on "New" moons) tide/moon tables

Edited: 10/25/2018 at 08:00 AM by Plan B
 10/28/2018 06:03 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

Do you guys use live or dead bait also? Been catching nothing but catfish in the river in Cocoa Beach. Tried live shrimp and ended up not even getting a bite. We are new to fishing also and haven't had any luck. They should seriously make a fishing lure/rig guide and how to fish them.
 10/29/2018 07:41 AM

Plan B

Unfortunately, in the past year or 2 I've only been fishing a fraction of the amount I used to (that'll change again soon) but inshore I use artificials 95% of the time (mostly because I like the challenge and ongoing activity... plus I mostly fish from my kayak, so dealing with bait is an extra PIA) but if I was to use bait, live for sure (I only use dead bait for surf fishing, or when fish are really lazy (drum in cold or hot water, etc) to avoid the trash fish. "Gulp minnows" would be a good lure to start with (theyre almost like bait anyway )

Edited: 10/29/2018 at 07:41 AM by Plan B
 10/29/2018 12:41 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

^ good advice from Plan B...you could also do an Inlet Drift, get a few blue crabs and drill a small hole on one side of the shell; get a bottom fishing rod with heavy weight line, steel leader, etc. Drop the crab over and spend the next 30-45 mins fighting large fish. . Or fish the inside inlet out of the channel for fish you can actually eat (Mangrove snapper) but that is usually a summer time event. Never had too much fun on the river, Jacks, are fun to catch but I do not eat them (or anything else out of the river). The inlet drift you cannot do solo, always need someone at the helm...Good Luck... . Not sure if I'd take an 18' Panga offshore but if you have all the safety gear, and back ups to those , ditch bag, raft with even more radio backup(s), a Sea Tow membership and TRIM TABS you can get out to the fishing grounds but it will be a rough ride...Maybe just target the Bethel Buoy to start?

Edited: 10/29/2018 at 01:14 PM by SurferMic
 10/29/2018 01:19 PM

Plan B

If you pick-and-choose your days, I'd definitely take out a 18 Panga. I used to take an old 17 Whaler within 10 miles+ chasing kings and such. Granted mostly spring-summer when its flat.... chase tarpon, kings and cobes. And in May if you're really lucky a wahoo or sail
 11/01/2018 06:46 AM

rjbeavis

Joined Forum: 04/21/2006

Your boat will be able to handle a lot offshore. I have been fishing out of my pangamarine 18 skiff for 10 years. I fish up and down the whole coast. I have been on the water my whole life so I take all the precautions and watch the weather when i plan on going out in the ocean. I have fished my boat as far as 35 miles out. Since you don't have any offshore experience, I would recommend when you start going offshore, maybe your first couple of times go out of canaveral inlet or fort pierce inlet. Make sure the seas are no more than 2 feet. Sebastian inlet can be a bitch and if you have no experience, it could get bad fast. It may be fine going out but coming back if the waves are against the current, situations like that can make it sporty. Read up on the hulltruth about safety equipment to carry and things like that. Fishing inshore in the boat is a no problem either. I have fished the inshore areas around sebastian several times and the boat can go all over in those areas. Get a top spot map of whatever area you plan to fish so you can learn the area and a gps to know where you are with a marine chip to give you bottom contours.
 11/01/2018 09:25 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

i would start at port canaveral much easier than sebastian as no ripping current and standing waves!

Fish the north jetty both inside and outside for snook reds and flounder.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 11/01/2018 09:27 PM

woundupintx

Really appreciate all the input and advice. I've fished Sebastian inlet a few times but haven't gone east of the bridge or had much luck...I'm tempted though. I see guys in smaller boats than mine fishing just outside of the inlet. I have yet to try out of canaveral. What type of baits do you suggest for the north side of the jetty, live or artificials? I guess I'd be trying both to see what works. I'll have to research the seatow membership. How much is a yearly membership? Say I had issues and needed them, how does that work? I'll try and look it up too and thanks again for all the input

Edited: 11/01/2018 at 09:28 PM by woundupintx
 11/02/2018 06:17 AM

Plan B

Seatow (or BoatUS) ... basically AAA for your boat. No brainer if you plan to use your boat alot: SEATOW..... I saw this too coupons code basically if you break down.... they'll tow you in. Unfortunately I've been on boats that have used them multiple times. 30 mile trip in without any beer sucked though EDIT: pretty good advice beavis...uhuhuhuh....

Edited: 11/02/2018 at 09:42 AM by Plan B
 11/05/2018 08:41 AM

Plan B

Great moon phase for fishing this week! Hope I can get out of work.... people are making it difficult for me though
 11/07/2018 08:06 AM

woundupintx

I've seen some really good reports. It's killing me, I'm stuck at work in the Gulf of Mexico! I did stumble across this video, which I know this guy has a lot of experience at the inlet, but if he can do it in a Sundance skiff with no anchor or trolling motor alone, I don't see why I can't in my 19' panga with an I-pilot. I get it can get sketchy when it's low tide with swell, but given the right conditions looked pretty easy to me... Sebastian inlet YouTube video
 11/20/2018 12:36 PM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

if you are going to drift the inlet try on an incoming tide

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 11/28/2018 02:51 AM

woundupintx

Where would be best to start a drift, right outside the inlet? I'd fished the inlet west of the bridge but haven't had much luck. I see a lot of people fishing just outside the inlet and was thinking with the spot lock on the I-pilot it shouldn't be an issue staying in one spot. Are there certain tides I need to watch for even when there's not much swell? I still plan on going out of canaveral first but am stuck at work out of town at the moment

Edited: 11/28/2018 at 02:53 AM by woundupintx
 11/30/2018 07:49 AM

Plan B

This is a good site..... solunar tables are definitely not a lock, as lots of other variables come into play, but I've noticed over the years they definitely help: Tides 4 Fishing https://tides4fishing.com/us/florida-east-coast/sebastian-inlet DOH... looks like I already posted that. ha

Edited: 11/30/2018 at 07:51 AM by Plan B
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .