Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: salt spray?
Topic Summary: nuked tender plants in rockledge
Created On: 09/12/2017 08:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/12/2017 08:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Could just be wind burn but all of our tender plants are severely brown. Bleeding Heart Vine, Blueberries, Plum Tree, all the herbs and tender perenials, pagoda plant, and the list goes on. The brunfelsia looks like someone poured liquid nitrogen on it. Sea grapes, mango, grumichama, and the magnolia are the only things that look happy. Powderpuff and goldfinger are burned too. We are five house up the hill from the lagoon. Fetch was still off the water after the rain quit and the wind was still high. I think we got salted.

Will the stuff like blueberries and plum drop the damaged leaves and start over?

I think I can write off the cotton and herbs.

Never thought I would need a beach side scape of sea grapes on salt plants over here on the frosty side of the river.

-------------------------

09/13/2017 04:19 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

I'm a good distance inland and was surprised at the browning of leaves most exposed to wind in my yard.  It could just be getting hit by all that wind, but I was wondering whether salt spray had moved so far inland.  Need to go toward the barrier island and see how much worse it gets, and how much better going inland.  

For things like decidious trees, leaves are cheap and easy to replace.  They do have procedures for recycling nutrients when dropping leaves.  Palms are particularly big on that--you don't want to trim green or yellow palm leaves.  Let 'em die. 

09/14/2017 05:46 AM

bradlat

Joined Forum: 08/23/2004

I am about 7 blocks from the beach and my two mango trees have a bunch of leaves browning from what I assume to be salt spray. What is the best way to handle the Mango trees? Trim the branches? Let them be?
 09/14/2017 02:00 PM

scombrid

I think woody plants the are established will drop the damaged leaves and move on.

I hate to beg for rain after getting 12 inches or more on Sunday but everything in oir lanscape is turning brown from the turf areas to fire crackes plant and foxtail fern to gingers hiding in the ahade garden. Really worried about the spathoglottis, epidendron, dendrobeum, and nun's orchids that we have in the ground out back. Salt is bad and the defoliation of the browned out oaks is going to be a sunlight shock on top.

09/14/2017 02:54 PM

scombrid

Long range forecast looks like fall style NE winds for the duration. Hope this isnt like last year when Mathew marked the end of the wet season and the atart of a flash drought that lasted until mid summer 2017 here in Rockledge. Garden was just recovering from the 9 weeks of no rain in June and July 2016 followed by the driest November through June on record. I think maybe I will just have sea grapes and sand spurs and call it good.

09/16/2017 04:14 PM

boardheads

Joined Forum: 10/23/2003

Even our wall of sea grapes are brown. Our azaleas, plumeria, other plants and hedges look like brown skeletons. 7 royal palms down, 3 with twisted cracked open trunks. One palm even twisted it's trunk in half around the only palm left standing. Eerie looking, like a torando hit and twisted them. Giant lilies look so sad and twisted. Least damaged was the sea lavendar garden.
What do we do, wait it out? Already rinsed them all off.

Bored without my board...

BoardHeads2.com
FLSurfCams.com
 09/18/2017 11:02 AM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I don't believe it was salt. Simply wind burned from the dry bottom side of Irma.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 09/18/2017 12:15 PM

scombrid

The browning intensity is a gradient from sea to inland and sensitive plants that were sheltered from the wind got burned too in areas close to the water.

09/21/2017 10:06 AM

Being 1000 ft from the beach, I'm very familiar with salt spray. But, we also see very similar results in the drier winter winds. I grow lots of different things, and my different zones are planted based on their protection from salt and wind. There was a Florida Today article that also said it wasn't due to salt but dry and harsh winds. Eh, it really doesn't matter as for one reason or another it looks like crap. Thanks to the little rain we got his week, I'm already seeing fresh green sprouts. Hope your stuff greens back up soon too!

09/22/2017 06:50 AM

IHB1979

Joined Forum: 04/11/2013

I agree, what is done is done. What's interesting is seeing a lot of images on Palmtalk of folks in SW and SE Florida, they did not have the browning. Those areas had much higher sustained winds. SE Florida would have similar conditions as we did being on the east side of the storm. I remember N. Yorio telling me that we live in an area that has an abnormally large amount of salt coming off the ocean.

Maybe like most things, it's probably somewhere in the middle, a lot of wind and salt.

09/22/2017 06:54 AM

scombrid

We are less than 200m from the lagoon and I'm pretty sure that the fog/mist on the dry back side at 1-2 in the morning was salty given the wind direction and the waves that were breaking across Rockledge Drive.

Regular dry wind damage is apparent far inland but we got something like I'm used to seeing within a block or two of the ocean.

09/22/2017 08:38 AM

Good Points Guys...I guess I did see a salty film on the glass at work on mainland...We are definitely living in Corrosion County. There are few saltier places on earth!

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .