Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rainbow eucalyptus
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/11/2018 08:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/11/2018 08:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

Anyone growing one in their yard? Looking for feedback, considering putting one in my yard.
 04/13/2018 02:28 PM

arenalbroms

Joined Forum: 04/08/2013

Had one  grew great and started getting trunk colors    winter down to the 30's and died  even in the garage   Not cold tolerant at all   Shame its beautiful 

04/19/2018 06:09 AM

IHB1979

Joined Forum: 04/11/2013

I germinated one from seed in 2013 and planted shortly after. It's about 50' away from my house and although when I initially planted it I was worried about the tree falling on the house. After two hurricanes I understand how this tree handles wind. Once gusts reach the 70-80mph speed the tree sheds it's leaves and branches. It's grown to over 40+' and has over a 12" trunk. It has slowed a bit because of the two hurricanes. After hurricane Matthew and Irma, I was left with a colorful telephone pole in my yard, but the tree recovered from both storms.

The tree handled the couple hours around 32F earlier this winter without any trouble and has handled temps in the mid-high 30s in it's lifetime.

I think the tree loves our sandy soil and high water table beachside. I notice in South Florida this tree develops roots above the soil line due to the limestone near the surface. Have not seen that here.

Nice photo of trunk:

Before Irma:

After Irma:

04/19/2018 06:11 PM

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Been growing and selling them for years in Melbourne Beach.. have alot of experience with them.

IHB's photo just after the hurricane is typical if it gets a full hurricane hit like we did with Irma. Leaves strip off, some branches break, but generally the trunk stands straight, unless it was planted in a location where it couldnt root properly and had to grow shallow root system, in which case, like any tree in that situation, it could lean or be toppled.

Mine did the same thing after Matthew and by mid summer looked pretty much like nothing had happened, then Irma came and started the process over again.

It's about halfway back to being releafed after the recent rains, and showing some nice color right now.

Re: cold temps, mine have gone through every low temp we've had since 2004 without any real issues.

Younger sapling trees are more tender, so if its going below freezing, its advisable to protect them.

A 5 foot sapling will become a 10-12 foot tree by November if planted out in early spring, watered well and fertilized regularly. Generally In our area, thats about all thats required to get them big enough to deal with our winters.

They are easy to grow here, the one thing you have to stay on top of is making sure they are getting plenty of water at all times until they have rooted all the way down into the local water table.

I sell Rainbow Eucalyptus at Exotica Tropicals.com :

http://www.exoticatropicals.co...stock-for-sale/

Edited: 04/19/2018 at 06:35 PM by paddleout
 04/20/2018 04:44 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Cool looking tree!
 04/20/2018 05:38 AM

DHodges34

They are great, I had one at our house in St. Cloud and it got to 40' in just a few years and no problems with cold temps. Beautiful trees
 04/20/2018 10:08 AM

scombrid

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Grew a seedling in containers up to 25 gallon and then put it in the ground in 2015. Mathew broke the top out of it when huge limp broke out of an oak in the neighbors yard and hit it. It made a new top.  

We are in Rockledge almost Cocoa Village. We had three 33-35 degree nigthts in a row one week in January and then a flash freeze the next week when it dropped from 70F at sunset to 29F by daybreak. Advection freezes like that can be pretty tough. Our Angel's Trumpets, Bananas, Papayas, Bridal Bouquet Plumeria were all hit pretty hard but not killed. Our Rainbow Eucalyptis looks fine. The only trouble we have is that it is shaded from equinox to equinox by oaks to its south. Then it gets full sun for most of the summer once the sun angle is high enough. It gets directly light from 11-3 right now and will peak at direct sun from 9-4 about solstice time. They really do best in full sun. The leaves get pretty sparse until the sun and rains of summer return.

-------------------------

04/24/2018 11:34 AM

dbird27

Joined Forum: 08/31/2010

I bought one from paddle out about 5-7 years ago, can't quite remember.  It's abot 40 ft now and the trunk is about 20+ inches thick; it looks really cool.  I live in Orlando and during the freeze all of the leaves fell off and the limbs looked like they were burnt.  Now, it's like it ignited the tree and there are more levaes than ever.  Lost a couple of limbs in the hurricane this year but nothing too bad.  Also, the first year or so the tree really didn't grow.  Then I dug out around it and threw some manure around the tree and it absolutley took off.  Did that the next two summers and it really seemed to help things out. 

04/27/2018 08:01 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

well I want one if it would work for my yard beachside

how far from house, road, pavers, etc should it be planted? How big will it actually get here beachside?

04/27/2018 10:23 AM

foam ball

Joined Forum: 06/01/2005

Yep same here wondering how invasive the root structure is.
 04/27/2018 12:29 PM

IHB1979

Joined Forum: 04/11/2013

They can get very big. I took this photo in 2012 of one at Leu Gardens in Orlando. The tree was planted out in 2000 as a 3' sapling. 12 years of growth, pretty amazing.

Seeing this tree in person kept me from aquiring one for a couple years because of the size. I couldn't imagine my house underneath it.

My tree raced to about 40' tall in a couple years and then slowed. Two hurricanes slowed it down too. Great question about the roots, although we are in sand, I see a lot of trees pushing up sidewalks in my neighborhood. If you have the space, plant it as far away as possible from your house.

If you get one, this tree doesn't like to remain in a pot. Plant it out.

05/01/2018 09:13 AM

paddleout

I have some 3 gallon Rainbow Eucalyptus in stock now in Melbourne Beach. Limited Quantity.

If interested, send email to me at ExoticaTropicals@gmail.com

re: height, Rainbows typically want to be a little bit taller than anything else around them.. so if planted in an area with a high canopy (like Leu Gardens, etc)

They will grow tall to get on top.
If they are out in the open, they won't need to get as tall.

Typically here beachside, the top of the canopy is around 30-40 feet. That's where mine have seemed to have topped out.

The occasional hurricane keeps everything trimmed down to that level.
 05/24/2018 04:06 AM

RiddleMe

still want one of these

waiting for work to finish at house first 

05/30/2018 04:40 AM

RiddleMe

work done 

need one of these

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .