Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Community Fruit Trees
Topic Summary: What a phenomenal concept
Created On: 07/06/2019 04:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2019 04:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

palmtreeg

Joined Forum: 04/27/2010

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/07/06/how-to-grow-and-forage-without-owning-land.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20190706Z1&et_cid=DM298457&et_rid=656059122

Imagine the government subsidizing this education and community fruit trees instead of food stamps (40% of which is spent on soda- it's true, the power of coke and Pepsi lobbyists, not to mention the Dia

-------------------------
Brevard Surf Report
 07/06/2019 04:55 AM

palmtreeg

Betes industry)...imagine the amount of $$$ saved for we the taxpayer...

Anyway, I want to be like this guy, by 1) growing my own foods and 2) looking into this community fruit tree concept, especially as our homeless community continues to grow as well

Anyone having success providing over 80% of your home's produce with home gardening ?

What are the top three fruit trees you would suggest for growing a reliable, quality, good tasting crop beachside Brevard?

Brevard Surf Report
 07/08/2019 10:08 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Well there are a lot of reasons poor people buy shitty food, some is ignorance and marketing, but most low income areas are "food deserts". Hard to find a "Fresh Market" in the hood, and without a car...

I don't accept this as a replacement for nutritional assistance for the poor, but I think it's a great idea for everyone regardless of income. We grow most of our kitchen/cooking herbs in a 4x6 raised bed, and enough Tomatoes and Kale to supply 80% during the season. But it takes diligence to stay ahead of bugs and do it organically.

I think a better solution would be collective organic farms which would be supported financially or via labor (or ideally some mix of the two) by the participants, but managed with scientific expertise.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 07/08/2019 02:47 PM

palmtreeg

Thanks RT!!

You're solution makes complete sense, I like it

Damn, you're killing it on the Kale and Tomatoes, the guy in the video mentioned Everglades tomatoes, what kind are you growing?

Fruit wise on my end, covered on the star fruit, bananas, coconuts, dragon fruit, kumquat, limes, and lemons...

Trying to decide what variety of avocado and mango, as I want to add those in the mix...

BTW, I hope you surfed this am

Brevard Surf Report
 07/09/2019 05:27 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

long time back I lived in a orange grove that converted 1/2 of the "grove" to a subdivision (Brandon Groves..good times , great neighborhood)...BUT we were kids, the oranges on the trees in the entire neighborhood and outlying farm were nothing but giant baseballs that we plucked and threw at everything , including each other. Yes, no respect but we were just kids...Fast Forward, I planted lemon tree and papaya trees at an apartment complex, same thing ..kids looked at the fruit as projectiles in different stages of ripeness...cut the trees down, tired of seeing fruit splattered around...sadly , kids will be kids...This could be an issue with community trees..... For veggies, too hot in summer for everything but bananas and peepers. Winter, spring, fall we get all our leafy greens from Kale (Curly is the best Dino not so good), swiss chard (really good) lettuce, strawberries, tomatoes, peepers. broccoli and a ton of herbs, green onions is the best producer, but basil, etc. does well...80% easily..Lemon tree always has fruit, Lime tree as well, Mangos no good this year. Papaya always fruiting hard to keep up. NO LUCK with Avocados...guess I am too close to the beach..also way too many coconuts, brought a bunch of nuts back from the keys years ago now it is out of control, must have 15 or more mature coco palms..lot's of work ahead.

Edited: 07/09/2019 at 05:58 AM by SurferMic
 07/09/2019 09:37 AM

RustyTruck

Originally posted by: palmtreeg

Thanks RT!![IMG][/IMG]

You're solution makes complete sense, I like it[IMG][/IMG]

Damn, you're killing it on the Kale and Tomatoes, the guy in the video mentioned Everglades tomatoes, what kind are you growing?

Fruit wise on my end, covered on the star fruit, bananas, coconuts, dragon fruit, kumquat, limes, and lemons...

Trying to decide what variety of avocado and mango, as I want to add those in the mix...

BTW, I hope you surfed this am [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks, I didn't get in the water unfortunately, but the bills will get paid!

Last year I got a lot of Early Girls until caterpillars got ahead of me. This year Better Boy produced a lot for me, but I'm still learning organic and "pick 'em off" pest control. Kale seemed to do great with minimal work, I wish I liked it more. We're still getting some Kale now, but a few months ago we had tons and Swiss Chard also in the 4x6 plot. I don't really have a taste for that one either but I think it's healthy. Broccoli and cabbage did well for us in the community garden too.

If I have surplus next year I'll post it here for anyone who wants some.
Besides eating it and knowing it's "clean", my favorite part is giving it away.

Downside on the tomatoes is you can't go back to Publix. Those are terrible.

Our herbs are sage, basil, thyme (lemon and German), parsley, rosemary, green onions, and culantro. We had great results from the raised bed filled with Green Earth Compost http://www.facebook.com/lovelivingsoil/

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

Edited: 07/09/2019 at 09:38 AM by RustyTruck
 07/09/2019 11:48 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

totally organic here, I just give up 15% of the crop to the insects and try to pull of caterpillars off when I see them...it seems cherry tomatoes are less bothered by insects. Dino Kale can survive summers but it is not that tasty, gets bitter as the season goes on, same with cabbage...one thing that thrives in all seasons is rosemary and parsley... Now this should go without saying but remember to NOT USE pressure treated wood for raised beds....arsenic leaching, seems like a no brainer, but I have seen it done w/ Pressure treated lumber and thought "not a good idea"....that stuff is real bad for you.
 07/11/2019 08:02 AM

RustyTruck

Mine uses pressure treated 4x4s at the corners, but not for the 2x4 frame. It's lined then with galvanized steel. I think the new stuff used for pressure treating isn't arsenic based, but I also used a water sealer.

09/05/2019 08:15 AM

somebodyelse

Joined Forum: 06/29/2006

My biggest produce for several years has been sweet potatoes.......... I have had three different varietals in 55 gal plastic barrels..........Now the back yard has vines growing all over it and 1/3 of my harvest is volunteers......... The potaters in barrels are beautifully shaped and dirt free (mulch) the volunteers look like mutants and are chewed up a bit but they are freebies so....

09/09/2019 03:32 PM

Joined Forum: 01/26/2005

I planted a bunch of fruit trees (60+) in my condo grounds. Some people really appreciated it, others complained. When I moved to Hawaii, the decorative and functional raised garden beds were removed and replaced with grass. You can bring a human to a fruit tree, but you can't make them thank.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
 10/07/2019 10:27 AM

surftech

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Longevity spinach seems to grow like a weed all year. Eat it raw, juiced, or steamed. Not slimy like Malabar spinach. I have a ton if anyone wants some. Super easy to propagate. Sweet potatoes are trying to take over. Basil took over my pepper bed and is three feet tall. Bees love it so I let it go to seed. Bele spinach is great if you can find it. Also Katuk grows well.
 10/10/2019 02:18 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Originally posted by: palmtreeg Betes industry)...imagine the amount of $$$ saved for we the taxpayer... Anyway, I want to be like this guy, by 1) growing my own foods and 2) looking into this community fruit tree concept, especially as our homeless community continues to grow as well Anyone having success providing over 80% of your home's produce with home gardening ? What are the top three fruit trees you would suggest for growing a reliable, quality, good tasting crop beachside Brevard?
I have about an acre set aside for fruit trees and vegetables with about a half acre for each. I am still learning the ropes. The fruit trees and bushes are all doing nicely. I have over a dozen different things in the fruit section. Papayas, mangoes, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, peaches, cherries, persimmons, avocados, black sapote, dragonfruit, fig, guava, loquat, mulberry, starfruit, pineapple and a few more. Whenever, the trees/bushes start really producing, I will have to open a roadside stand. Just started experimenting with the vegetable garden this year. I planted without irrigation or any easy way to water, so I looked at it as an experiment to learn some lessons. It is organic, so bugs and weeds were a bitch. Unless you can devote a few hours every day to dealing with those elements, you can't keep up. Black-eyed peas and okra did great. Grew enough of those to last me all year. Watermelon, spinach and pumpkin did pretty good. Friends got a lot of those. Corn, squash, lima beans, peppers were complete busts. Will be getting the irrigation system in and will start my compost pile soon. Will see what winter crops work. If i ever get it down, I should have far more than 80% of my needs. Maybe give the excess to food banks until I open up my stand.

I :heart; Q
Statistics
146493 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .