Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Good Stingray sting info
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/30/2022 04:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Good Stingray sting info   - dingpatch - 06/30/2022 04:52 AM  
 Good Stingray sting info   - johnnyboy - 06/30/2022 10:58 AM  
 Good Stingray sting info   - Cole - 06/30/2022 11:15 AM  
 Good Stingray sting info   - LIV2SURFDT - 06/30/2022 11:57 AM  
 Good Stingray sting info   - Greensleeves - 06/30/2022 01:47 PM  
 Good Stingray sting info   - waterlizard25 - 07/14/2022 07:57 AM  
 Good Stingray sting info   - RustyTruck - 07/15/2022 11:33 AM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/30/2022 04:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

A Jammer on Jamboards.com learned the hard way, , , , ,

I thought i would start a new thread to follow up on my other stingray thread. I have had some complications with my wound and would have done some things differently if I had more knowledge. I will post here what I learned from now 4 doctors visits over 12 days due to my deep wound puncture from the stingray. I will say my first wound I got was a small nick and healed quickly and did not need a lot of the care below. But if you get one deep keep reading. Maybe this will be useful if you are in an area where you need to make some decisions on your own.

Doctor appt 1 on June 10 initial exam of wound
Doctor appt 2 on June 17 infected wound inspection
Doctor appt 3 on June 19 infected wound inspection follow up
Doctor appt 4 on June 22 infected wound inspection follow up 2

Honestly there is a lot of conflicting information online about the healing process. Most of it points to a quick recovery. There is not a lot of info about more severe hits, infection, and a non quick recovery.

So after 2 different doctors and multiple nurses here is what I would suggest one do ( this is what i will do next time)

1. Get up to date on your tetanus shot. Mine was 9 years old. I had to get a booster the day this happened.

2. Clean the wound first, before the hot water. Flush the wound and try to get out any debris. Then put something like Betadine on it.

3. Know where your foot artery is. If you are hit there and you are bleeding bad go straight to the hospital. ( real hospital, not urgent care)

4. Soak the wound in very hot water for 60-90 minutes until you get some relief.

5. Go to doctor where they can do an x-ray or ultrasound to check for debris in wound.

6. Take a preventative antibiotic. ( I was not told to do this from first doctor, second doctor could not believe I was not prescribed Doxycicline as a preventative )

7. Don't go in the water until the wound is closed ( i went surfing on day 5 when I thought I was healed... bad idea) My doctor said today 4 days of a solid scab with no oozing before I go surfing. Apparently a puncture wound heals from the inside out. So if there is any oozing it could be a hole going all the way to internal structures... you don't want bacteria going deep. The barb can do serious internal tissue damage as it comes out.

8. You read a lot online about it getting infected days later. That is what happened to me. Red swollen and hot thats an infection. Go to the doctor.

9. I was told the 2 most common infections are vibrio and staph. Which apparently require 2 different antibiotics. So be prepared to take more than 1 antibiotic, and or expect an antibiotic shot.

10. It takes 2-3 days to see results from the antibiotics and the infection might get worse in those days ( mine did). My pain was in multiple areas on the foot not just the wound site, I was told this is common from both infection and internal tissue injuries where the trauma spreads out.

11. When the doctor says if the infection gets to the next level go to a hospital where you can get an IV drip antibiotic. The next level I was told is fever, body chills, nausea, dark red spreading in lines from the wound area.

12. Take all your antibiotics ( and watch out for sun sensitivity from the meds)

13. Take a probiotic to counteract for your guts. Take benadryl for itching, take advil for pain. Ice for initial swelling. Heat later to aid in healing.

14. When you are mobile and healing wrap your foot with an ace bandage to create compression. It feels good and helps keep the wound from tearing and reopening and helps with swelling.

15. In my case it will probably take 2.5- 3 weeks to heal to where i can get in the water.

15. Overall take it serious. I did not. I have had multiple injuries over the years and not done much and they have just healed fine with no treatment. I am not prone to infection. You are not in the clear until the pain and swelling are done and the wound is fully closed and the scab is shrinking. Rest it as much as you can and stay off it and elevate it. I tried getting back to normal routine too quickly and paid the price. I think i heard so many stories of "just put it in hot water and drink some beer you will be good in 48 hours".... not true if it gets you good.

Be well

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .