Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Crowds in Bali
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/14/2022 09:37 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/14/2022 09:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnny tsunami

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

I've never been, but nothing about Bali these days seems more legendary than its crowds and trash/pollution problem. However, does anyone know if there are places there not too far off the beaten track where one can still find an occasional moment of peace, or a fun and empty B-grade reef or beachbreak? Cheers!

Edited: 05/15/2022 at 08:22 AM by johnny tsunami
 05/15/2022 08:18 PM

stlsrfn1

Joined Forum: 08/02/2016

Google Medewi, Bali
 05/16/2022 11:48 AM

johnny tsunami

Thanks!
 05/16/2022 06:08 PM

Coquina

Joined Forum: 06/05/2007

I went to Bali but it was about 15 years ago. Had a blast! Went with some friends from work and friends of theirs from England (who go there a lot). We stayed in Sanur, Denpasar area. Stayed away from Kuta other than to drive there one day. Kuta was an absolute s#!t place. I'd compare it to Miami Beach. I can't find the hotel online but it was real close to this Dampati place (which I remember because of all the teasing I endured since my name is Patty). http://banyuning.com/dampati/gallery.php
And we ate at this restaurant now called Le Pirate Restaurant a bunch. All the locals were unbelievably friendly especially when you were far from the congested tourist places.

Sanur had a couple of surf spot that I hit every day and they always had at least waist/chest high at the right tide for all the 10 days I was there. And never had more than a dozen surfers out. Sanur surf info

If you do get to go these are a few of the things I suggest doing that are tourist activities. A MUST DO is river rafting down this incredible river with stone carvings on the sides of the mountains. Mind blowing scenery. Drive to the top of the volcano for lunch or dinner. Get ready to be swarmed by villagers wanting to sell you cheap stuff. Which reminds me, bring stuff to trade the locals like shirts that say NASA or Cocoa Beach. Me friends suggested I do this and it was a lot of fun bartering for stuff. If you're a guy they will swap right off your back then and there. The locals away from the densely populated areas will barter with you. The monkey palace place was fun but crowded. Each individual zone of the island specialized in a specific talent. Like one little village mastered in carpentry items, stone carvings, and one in jewelry/clothes, etc. Eat at a real traditional local restaurant. The local food is amazing. We went to a coffee plantation that was very cool also.

We were warned to stay away from the scooters as its beyond crazy and people get squished all the time. Not the locals but the tourists. So we hired a car to drive us every day for just a tiny bit more than what it cost to rent one. And the dude knew his way around every where. Only bad thing was he had one cassette tape and it was of Kenny Rogers. I wanted to pitch that stupid tape but the driver was so proud he knew the words to all the songs LOL.

And if you go, please for the love of God, bring me back some Salak (Snake Fruit).
 05/17/2022 03:44 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

LOL at Kenny Rogers tape. Funny stuff. Reminds me of the time i went to Costa Rica back in cassette tapes time and only had Green Day Dookie on cassette. Wore that one out!
 05/17/2022 07:18 AM

Coquina

I'd prefer Green Day over Kenny Rogers anytime.
 05/17/2022 09:14 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Dookie had just came out and a WFIT DJ recommended it. It was the only tape we had in the car and portable tape player. Fortunately it turned out to be a great album. Agreed on Kenny Rogers. Bleh.
 05/17/2022 05:22 PM

Coquina

And when sung in a Balinese accent it doesn't improve the music any either. LOL
 05/17/2022 07:20 PM

johnny tsunami

Coquina - Appreciate the recs, especially the river rafting. And Sanur sounds like an interesting option as far as where to stay.
 05/18/2022 02:30 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

fwiw - Best surf story on this page in years. Well done!

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/18/2022 06:45 AM

Coquina

Other things worth mentioning: If you're renting a board from there bring wax and a leash. I couldn't find any there. The Denpasar neighborhood was great for having loads of stores, restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Most Resorts there have bikes to loan you. Those two surf breaks were within walking distance. We went scuba diving, but it was a bummer because of the amount of trash (mostly disposable plastic bags) floating under water. The coffee plantation also had those huge bats (like 1.5 ft tall with big teeth) all around in it, so cool! The small villages still have kids swimming/bathing in the roadside ditches and the family beds were little elevated platforms usually set away from the main living structure. Life was so different there. Makes you realize how spoiled Americans really are. I literally saw a family of 5 on one scooter (mom, pop and 3 little kids). When I returned home, I decided not to judge parents for trivial crap (on a worldly scale) like letting their kids ride a bike with no helmet. It's a shame more Americans don't travel overseas to gain a better perspective of life and what truly matters. Again, I hope you get to go and enjoy your trip.
 05/18/2022 09:36 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

I've got a 1991 photo of a family (4 or 5 people) on one motorcycle riding that bumpy-ass road in Costa Rica, somewhere between Quepos and Dominical, iirc. All smiling for my pic. Eye-opening for sure.
 05/18/2022 11:30 AM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Coquina

Other things worth mentioning: If you're renting a board from there bring wax and a leash. I couldn't find any there. The Denpasar neighborhood was great for having loads of stores, restaurants and shopping within walking distance. Most Resorts there have bikes to loan you. Those two surf breaks were within walking distance. We went scuba diving, but it was a bummer because of the amount of trash (mostly disposable plastic bags) floating under water. The coffee plantation also had those huge bats (like 1.5 ft tall with big teeth) all around in it, so cool! The small villages still have kids swimming/bathing in the roadside ditches and the family beds were little elevated platforms usually set away from the main living structure. Life was so different there. Makes you realize how spoiled Americans really are. I literally saw a family of 5 on one scooter (mom, pop and 3 little kids). When I returned home, I decided not to judge parents for trivial crap (on a worldly scale) like letting their kids ride a bike with no helmet. It's a shame more Americans don't travel overseas to gain a better perspective of life and what truly matters. Again, I hope you get to go and enjoy your trip.

Disposable plastic bags were outlawed in Bali, about 2 years ago, and according to a friend that was living there at the time ..... they vanished from use overnight. EVERYONE went to reusable bags, instantly!! With VERY little complaining.

WORD!!!!!

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 05/18/2022 11:40 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

ola ~

05/19/2022 03:22 PM

Coquina

That's awesome to hear because it was terrible back when I traveled there
 05/20/2022 09:17 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

And, it is still awful here thanks to Publix, Walmart, et al.
FORUMS : Surfing : Crowds in Bali

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .