Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: BlightHouse becomes Speculum
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2016 05:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2016 05:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Seems likely, , , , I need to call them and have a talk on Monday, , , ,

This past week I sent them an email about changing my service and internet. We currently have BlightHouse's "Premier" TV with the standard 25Mbps internet (internet provider is officially Earthlink). The email asked about changing to Speculum's standard "TV Select" programming and Speculum's standard internet (60Mbps). Speculum's "TV Select" is 125 channels, BlightHouse's "Premier" is 150 or 175 channels. Specifically told them that we did not want "Phone" or DVR. We currently pay $129 a month, which includes a couple "boxes", etc., and all fees and taxes. Speculums replied that the new monthly charge would be $144!! Well, OK, "better" internet, but "less" TV. All for a monthly increase of only $15! A 12% increase!!??

Oh, and, , , , what is "strange" about all of the above is that IF I was a NEW customer, , , , I could get 175+ channels, 60Mbps internet, DVR, phone (land line), plus HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and NFL Network for $110 a month, before fees and taxes, "for 12 months"!~ ???????

More to follow.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You

Edited: 12/10/2016 at 07:24 PM by dingpatch
 12/11/2016 04:08 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Good luck.  AT&T is flogging DirectTV, which they bought.  They are promoting it as a lower-cost alternative for those who whould otherwise drop cable TV.  Or something like that.

Indian River County has a choice of AT&T with "fast" internet that seems like old dial-up and Comcast that I've clocked at 89 Mbps.  I'm cutting cable to basic service and finally getting rid of the landline.  Ting?

12/11/2016 05:56 AM

dingpatch

Speculum is pushing their phone service. "Unlimited Calling". Blah, blah. Canada & Mexico. Blah, blah.

And, whenever I have talked to Blighthouse they find it hard to believe that I can live without DVR service. "SELL DVR" must be in 36 point Bold on their call script.

Dora Hates You
 12/11/2016 06:10 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

If you want to retain a landline for any reason, Ooma is not a bad choice. Once you buy their box, you pay nothing except your local monthly utility tax ($3-$4). A little bit more if you want HD voice and some extra features. Cell coverage is not great at my house, so I keep the landline for work telecons from home. Running it over the BlightHouse 60 Mbps connection.

What sucks is how much good TV you can get online if you have a decent internet connection, but BH prices the internet ridiculously high if you're not buying something else (TV, phone) with it.
 12/11/2016 09:07 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Don't have DVR? wow. dark ages!!!

12/11/2016 09:17 AM

SunriseSurfer

DVR? What's that?

No home phone here and my channels are OTA.
There are so many programs I never saw ...
... or don't remember seeing

Already got two phone calls from BlightHouse/Speculum ...
.... one this morning, yes Sunday morning at 10am.

Told them I couldn't talk, that I was heading into church
to pray for cheaper rates.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013

Edited: 12/11/2016 at 09:29 AM by SunriseSurfer
 12/11/2016 10:49 AM

dingpatch

Mrs. Dingpatch watches the Food Network and occasionally the Cooking Channel and Hallmark and/or Lifetime. We'll generally watch the news/weather; News 13, ABC, CNN. Nothing much more. The last "TV Show" we watched was Married With Children; before it was syndicated! We have no interest in HBO, etc.: we have watched Rocky III for the last time in our lives. Redbox meets our needs.

Dora Hates You
 12/11/2016 10:10 PM

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

Note that if you get Ooma (which I have found to be a great option for many years), you won't actually be getting a land line, per se.

At least not the kind of dedicated POTS land line that we used to think of where you had dedicated copper to the Telco.

Ooma is dependent on both your internet and your power being up. Either one goes out and Ooma is totally kaput.
 12/12/2016 03:20 AM

SunriseSurfer

Today on WOOT

Ooma Telo VoIP Home Phone System + Linx Wireless Accessory (Latest Version)
$69.99

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 12/12/2016 04:47 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Dumb house sucks. Price fixing Monopoly!! Get an out door antenna And fire stick, hulu, etc.

Style is what you make it!
 12/12/2016 05:05 AM

jcortez13

The real question is; since the merger is with Time Warner as well can you get live surf events that they get in Hawaii?
 12/12/2016 07:09 AM

dingpatch

Do you want any lube with that speculum?

Just got off the phone, the guy was straightforward and honest, , , , he perfectly understood my viewpoint. BUT, , , ,

He did some checking and then told me that he was going to have to disappoint me even more than I already am! The previous email quote of $144 "missed" a "few" small "details"!!! The actual, correct, price as an existing customer would be $151 per month, for "basic" TV and "basic" internet, nothing else!!!!!!!!!!!! He said that he was very sorry to have to tell me that and that, , , , Speculum had eliminated the "old" Brighthouse "save" pricing specials that previously offered "deals" to existing customers in order to keep them. He is "keeping his fingers crossed" that they re-introduce the "save" pricing pretty soon. The Charter folks are pushing "new" service as if there is not any other current service providers and sort-of-like that "Cable TV" is something brand new in the States!

So, if, you are a "new" customer and you sign up for TV, internet and phone at $30 each per month for the first 12 months, before taxes, bend over and grab your ankles in that 13th month because you are going to get the speculum.

Dora Hates You
 12/12/2016 08:43 AM

dingpatch

So, , , , OK how about Cutting the Cord? I have an Apple TV 4th edition. So, I don't need another "box". Who has experience with streaming services like Sling, etc.? I do have a good HDTV antenna, but it don't get the Food Network. Mrs. Dingpatch would get a major Case of The Ass if I don't get Food Network!

Dora Hates You
 12/13/2016 08:51 AM

HBrandNSB

Joined Forum: 03/16/2004

Haven't had cable in years. I use an Amazon FireTV box because I was already a Prime subscriber so now I get their video streaming too along with free shipping. Then I have Netflix and Sling subscriptions. Both have apps on the Amazon FireTV. SlingTV I cancel after college football season. Its super easy to cancel Sling or restart service. Just go online and sign in and hit cancel or subscribe. No calling anyone. I think Sling has Food Network. You'd have to check.
I also have an OTA antenna in the attic for the local channels. Haven't missed cable one bit.
 12/13/2016 11:51 AM

purefunk

Joined Forum: 09/11/2003

Suckhouse used to be decent but with increased bandwidth demand, it has inhibited their dated infrastructure IMO.  They did a node split in my neighborhood (IHB) because their node couldnt handle the BW of 400 houses.  Ever since then, my streaming sucks.  Video is constantly out of sync and ahead of the audio.  I am waiting on AT&T fiber and then switching.  Even the cable tv has gone to crap with several channels having out of sync audio/video. 

Several suckwagons from Suckhouse(now Shitcom) have been to my house to try and place blame on me.  I had to use two tvs, two routers, two modems and two streaming devices to PROVE to them it was their issues.  Absolute waste of my time.  I go to my other house, no issues (thanks comcast).  I swear the name of the game is find a reason to say its the customer then leave.

In any case, before you cut cord, make sure your streaming works properly.  Mine used to be perfect, then they made changes and its now crap. 

I now download a movie to my harddrive and then watch it on my tv, versus streaming it through itunes or amazon prime. f

Oh and my bill keeps going up, so there's that.

If you want to hit a home run, you have to swing the bat.

Edited: 12/13/2016 at 06:10 PM by purefunk
 12/14/2016 05:59 AM

phreshmango

Joined Forum: 12/05/2005

Just switched to Spectrum from DirecTV (10 year customer). Really liked DirecTV and the programming but was out of contract and figured I could give them a try and bundle tv/internet. Had ATT Uverse Internet before and it was terrible so would never recommend that. BHouse internet is far better and stable. Not sure that this is the best deal but this is what I got: 4 DVR receivers, 1 HD receiver, HBO, Cine, Showtime and the other 175 channels i think for $185/mo. and no charge for installation. The only let down is that Spectrum doesn't offer whole-home DVR service. Each room has an independent DVR (2 shows at once each). So far so good just trying to learn this dang remote!
 12/14/2016 08:36 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Dingpatch...Digital Antena, Internet provider (about 50$/month) and HDMI cable should be all you need....Free TV, including major stations out of Orlando and Stream the Food Network shows from PC to TV through HDMI (If TV has HDMI input).  I added Netflicks for some more options and lack of commercials.

Great way to watch Surf Contest on the big screen....HDMI from PC -> TV.

12/14/2016 09:12 AM

phreshmango

Joined Forum: 12/05/2005

KODI on an Amazon Firestick and a good internet connection is all you need if you are looking to cut cable. I heard that the cable companies are moving to cloud based DVR service in the future.
 12/15/2016 06:37 AM

dingpatch

Checked AT&T. Pricing is not "too" bad but, they have a 1TB monthly data cap. So, , , , how many hour long TV shows is that?

Dora Hates You
 12/15/2016 03:38 PM

dingpatch

The internets say that "HD Video" (720?) uses an average of 3GB per hour.

Dora Hates You
FORUMS : NPNR : BlightHouse becomes Speculum

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .