Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: wireless surround sound system
Topic Summary: can anybody offer advice?
Created On: 11/27/2017 09:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/27/2017 09:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I want to get a new surround sound system for my house. I'd like to get the wireless speakers hopefully with indoor/outdoor options. I checked on line and it was a bit overwhelming because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at. Lot's of soundbars,
I guess that's the new thing. <$1,000 if possible.

Are they easy enough to install that a non-techie person can do it?

-------------------------
Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 11/27/2017 12:27 PM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Sonos speakers are really really good and versatile. You can use them many ways, not just for surround sound. However, their surround sound set up is quite pricey and they are not 100% wireless, you need to run power to them. I run a sound bar, not sonos, and I swear it's just as good as having surround sound speakers. Can hear all kinds of movie sounds all over the room.
 11/27/2017 01:03 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Thanks. Sonos is one of the name brands I've been looking at. May be a dumb question, but do they need constant power or do they have rechargeable batteries like a portable blue tooth speaker?

Some of the soundbars have great reviews and look a whole lot cheaper than an entire ss system.

11/27/2017 01:21 PM

HAPDigital

Sonos is always wired to power. I'd recommend getting a soundbar if you do not want wires everywhere. The one I have is now discontinued and the company no longer makes soundbars. I never had a problem with it though and it sounds amazing. Vizio makes some soundbars for a decent price that are well reviewed.
 11/28/2017 05:52 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

I decided to go with the Sonos system with sound bar, woofer and play 3 surround speakers. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I got a good enough deal to make it worth it.

thanks

11/28/2017 06:53 AM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: worksuxgetsponsered I decided to go with the Sonos system with sound bar, woofer and play 3 surround speakers. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I got a good enough deal to make it worth it. thanks
Woah! Nice. You'll be happy with those speakers. What's great is you can move them around the house for parties and such. I your wifi range is good can use quite a distance outside and they all sync perfectly no delays. They are now also compatible with alexa, xmas they'll have spotify through alexa>sonos. Right now you can only do spotify directly through sonos. Grats! Please report your experience. Makes me want to this is well.
 11/29/2017 04:59 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Not completely sold on wireless Speakers. Batteries (changing all time) power(treble, bass) expense . Wired whole house And went with high end yamaha system. Keep us informed on product approval And over all applications of your speakers. No to sound bar get real full system.

Style is what you make it!
 11/29/2017 05:29 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

ot completely sold on wireless Speakers. Batteries (changing all time) power(treble, bass) expense . Wired whole house And went with high end yamaha system. Keep us informed on product approval And over all applications of your speakers. No to sound bar get real full system.

I was originally concerned about sound quality loss with the wireless, but I gave it a try in the store and while its a limited test, they really did rock, plus all of the reviews were great on line and people I've talked to about them. We have hardwood floors and wiring the house would involve me having to crawl around the hot ass attic or pay someone to do it for me.

The soundbar is basically the receiver for the other components; woofer and surround speakers. Starting off with 2 Play 3's and they have great mid to high range.

11/29/2017 12:05 PM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: worksuxgetsponsered
ot completely sold on wireless Speakers. Batteries (changing all time) power(treble, bass) expense . Wired whole house And went with high end yamaha system. Keep us informed on product approval And over all applications of your speakers. No to sound bar get real full system.
I was originally concerned about sound quality loss with the wireless, but I gave it a try in the store and while its a limited test, they really did rock, plus all of the reviews were great on line and people I've talked to about them. We have hardwood floors and wiring the house would involve me having to crawl around the hot ass attic or pay someone to do it for me. The soundbar is basically the receiver for the other components; woofer and surround speakers. Starting off with 2 Play 3's and they have great mid to high range.
Sonos is some good stuff plus their firmware upgrades equal new fun every patch. You'll have fun with that set up. They're the future...
 12/01/2017 01:06 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Nothing beats a set of monster cables Ran to set of large speakers. it Works for large concert venues. Wiring no problem- if u can't run it in the attic Run it behind your base boards or take out small Pieces of drywall. Good luck!

Style is what you make it!
 12/01/2017 06:13 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

klipsch

Not really under $1000...

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 12/01/2017 12:37 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

Nice...

The budget was the only thing I failed on.

12/11/2017 05:42 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Got everything set up and I couldn't be happier with how it sounds. The wood floors really help too I think. I'll probably end up getting a couple more speakers for the master bedroom and the porch, just for when I play music. I can bluetooth pretty much any of my music straight to the system; spotify, Iheartradio, amazon music and even the music on my phone.

Tuning the speakers to the room was pretty cool. It used the speaker on my phone to listen as it calibrated itself. I've heard B&O and newer Harmon Kardon have similar functions, but I've never actually seen it done before. My HK system was ancient.

12/17/2017 01:10 PM

3rdworldlover

I just replaced my Bose Acoustimass 10 system with the Polk Omni SB1+

A little disappointed for music, can't feel the bass and mids missing. I felt the same about the Bose system, but I think it sounded better. I really hated the wire mess though.

I guess I can add more speakers.

The sound for movies is pretty awesome though.
 12/17/2017 05:47 PM

worksuxgetsponsered

It's been a while since I've had surround sound, due to technical difficulties (my incompetence). Now having it, the sounds freak me out and I have to keep looking outside. As far as music goes, we had a little celebratory party the other night and it sounded like a club. Rocco freaked the eff out and bailed for the closet.

Polk is usually pretty good. I'm a little surprised by that.

12/18/2017 10:30 AM

3rdworldlover

Dag Tom!
No replacement for displacement!

01/10/2018 08:51 AM

3rdworldlover

I returned the Polk system. Their software for the wi-fi speaker network isn't working well. I had their soundbar and two wireless speakers that can all be used together for 5.1 dolby. But, adding them as surrounds took about 20 mins. Then, all hell breaks loose taking them out of the "speaker group" to use them separately. The sound from their S6 speakers was very nice in my bedroom though.

I ordered a Pioneer receiver and found a deal on a complete Bowers and Wilkins speaker group on Craig's. The pioneer is wi-fit too, and can add network speakers later.
 12/04/2019 04:52 PM

N8crow

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Hey, looking for an update on the Sonos system. All is well I hope, with no issues. We're selling our Bose system, and giving Sonos a try. Just ordered the Playbase, the sub, and the amp to power the outdoor speakers. I hope to expand down the road, but it looks like only 1s, and play 5 now.

I'd like to find some play 3s at some point.

Feedback appreciated.

the older we get, the better we were
 12/05/2019 04:12 PM

HAPDigital

Originally posted by: N8crow

Hey, looking for an update on the Sonos system. All is well I hope, with no issues. We're selling our Bose system, and giving Sonos a try. Just ordered the Playbase, the sub, and the amp to power the outdoor speakers. I hope to expand down the road, but it looks like only 1s, and play 5 now.

I'd like to find some play 3s at some point.

Feedback appreciated.

Mine are still solid 2-3 years now. Amazon keeps updating to incorporate them more into automation all the time with spotify and other streaming services etc.
 12/06/2019 04:10 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Still loving it. Mrs. Worksux has a great collection of oldschool vinyl so Santa splurged on cyber Monday and added the Play 5 speaker and a turntable.

My only bitch is that we couldn't just add the turntable, we had to buy either the Play 5 or the connect amp to get the line in function. I already had the Play 3's, Subwoofer and soundbar and really didn't need anymore, but I couldn't help myself and went with the additional speaker.....

Edited: 12/06/2019 at 04:13 AM by worksuxgetsponsered
FORUMS : NPNR : wireless surround sound system

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .