Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Just pissing and moaning, , , , ,
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/25/2020 02:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/25/2020 02:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

LED light "tubes" as replacements for Fluorescent.

So,I have 24 inch 20W T12s in the kitchen; one over the sink and one over the stove.

So, last week the tube over the sink went tits-up and I swapped out the one over the stove. Went to Walmart to get a new one for the stove; NO GOTS! Wally World does not carry 24 inch fluorescent tubes anymore. Even on-line they are only sold by "partners".

OK, got a LED tube. Got it home and WTF?? There was a list of compatible ballast manufacturers and their associated "approved" ballast model numbers; it looked like the device/manufacturer remote codes you get with a "universal" remote. WTF? 99.99% of "Joe Home Owners" probably do not have a clue as to what a ballast is, etc.

Well, OK. Put the LED tube into the fixture above the stove. Looked good, nice and bright, etc. Left it on and came back about an hour later. Burned out! the 5-or-so inches on each end was dark brown. Crap.

Went back to Wally World and got another one. Put the fluoro from the sink into the stove fixture, it worked like a champ. Then, put the new LED in the fixture over the sink. Fuck! It was good and bright BUT, , , , it was just not flickering, it was rapidly, brightly, flashing like a Disco light. Fuck that! I swapped the tubes and the sink is fine but the stove came on, dimmed out, and died before my very eyes. The ends are just as brown as you-know-what.

So, , , , don't be surprised with your results.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You

Edited: 11/25/2020 at 02:32 PM by dingpatch
 11/25/2020 03:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Guess I got lucky. I bought 3 of the 10W 24" T8/T12 replacements from Wally (IHB) last summer, and put them into a desk with ballasts that are probably 15-20 years old. They've worked like a champ. "Great Value" brand. About the same hum as I had w/ fluorescents in.

I've also replaced some of the standard, incandescent bulbs w/ LED bulbs from Wally (Great Value again). They work fine too. They were advertised as dimmable, but they hum like mf'ers if you even dim them a fraction below 100%. Brand name LED bulbs (GE/Philips) did not.

There could very well be quality-control issues with the cheap Chinese pop-outs.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .