Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I am a Success Story and I have beaten The Odds!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/04/2022 12:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/04/2022 12:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I am a Success Story and I have beaten The Odds!

I flew to Nashville last week for my One Year check-up. Started Thursday morning with around 20 vials of blood taken for labs. And then started the rest of morning with an EKG, a Pulmonary Function Test and finished the day with a Bone Density Scan. Started Friday at 11:00 with my 19th Bone Marrow Biopsy! My Long Term Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) Care Nurse Practitioner (NP) did the biopsy and then we had a short, good, talk before my Doctor came in (he is the Director of the Vandy/VA Stem Cell Transplant group). Did I tell you that my Team was the first to become a National Center of Excellence for SCT and, , , , , my Team is ranked Number One in the USA !!?? (I just can't tell enough people about it)!! My Doc came in and asked how I was doing and then told me that I looked good and then, , , , , , he said; "You are a Success Story and you have beat the odds". THAT is want you want to hear from one of the World's leading stem cell Doctors!!!!!!! Last year, before I started the transplant process I was given only a 30% chance of not relapsing by last week!!! He went on to explain more about himself, and his standing in the stem cell community. And then, to top it all of, he again told me that my Long Term NP had been with him for 15 years and had worked with him to establish the Long Term Care program, and such. She was standing next to me. And THEN, he says that he would say that she is Number One but, that he has been told by his peers in places like MD Anderson and Mayo Clinic that she is Number One in the WORLD for what she does!!!!!! OMG!!! It is so, so, hard not to get teary eyed when I think of the level of care I have been afforded.

All of the foregoing was pretty darn good to hear but, , , , , EVERYTHING hung of the results of last Friday's Bone Marrow Biopsy. Which just came in!!! I just got off the phone with my NP and she told me that given the blood cancer I had and considering everything I've been through, , , , , , the biopsy results are Outstanding and, , , , , I am cancer FREE!!!!!!!

I am not trying to be crude about it but, , , , , , FUCK CANCER !

More to follow after I decompress. It has been a very long 32 months.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 08/04/2022 03:51 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Awesome! Must feel great!
 08/04/2022 07:39 PM

Burry

WAY TO FUCKING GO!!!! DING

BurrysBreak

Inflation caused The BIG BANG...look it up!
 08/05/2022 02:42 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Winner.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 08/05/2022 03:23 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

whoooHooo, Congrats!

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 08/05/2022 06:31 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

And possibly a forerunner for future patients who might get easier treatments thanks to successes like yours. Cancer treatments improved slowly, at best, for many years. President Nixon promoted a War on Cancer that wasn't very useful. Today, there's all sorts of sophisticated stuff going on.
    You were likely one of Vanderbilt/VA's most patient patients. Thanks for your regular reporting.
 08/05/2022 07:06 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Way to hang in there Ding. That was a long road, even from where I'm sitting.
 08/05/2022 07:32 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: tom

Winner.

In the biggest of effing ways!

WOOT!

I was right.
 08/05/2022 10:15 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Well done, and yes, fuck cancer.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 08/05/2022 11:06 AM

dingpatch

The "30%" chance of NOT relapsing before my One Year was based on my "demographics" and not "me" me.

As I understood it, my case/results will be shared with all the other major Stem Cell players like MD Anderson, Sloan Kettering, Mayo, John Hopkins, etc. They all "talk" with each other all the time.

In 2018 while I was in Nashville for my first SCT I was talking with the Director of Stem Cell Transplants at Vandy at the time, she was my Attending Physician. She told me that what she and her Team "thought they knew" last week was already "stale".

Dora Hates You

Edited: 08/05/2022 at 11:09 AM by dingpatch
 08/05/2022 02:04 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

so, was it the ding, or a patch that did it? oncology expurts, wanna know?
 08/05/2022 06:19 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

WHO HOO! Congrats!

Stay vigilant and keep on top of it!! You are your best advocate...

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...

Edited: 08/05/2022 at 06:22 PM by surfsail

08/06/2022 07:23 AM

johnnyboy

The world is a better place with you still in it. Your call fight is the stuff of legends.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

08/06/2022 09:18 AM

LIV2SURFDT

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

Outstanding. Cheers!
 08/06/2022 11:27 AM

dingpatch

Oh and, , , , , , , , , , , My Team says that I can get this fucking chemo port out of my chest !!!!!! I've had it since August 2017 !!!!!!!

And, , , , , , , I just may be able to get back on a Surfing Board !!!

Dora Hates You
 08/06/2022 11:29 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Way to go, Ding, super stoked to hear all this.

There are a lot of amazing new DNA-based tests for early cancer detection and recurrence monitoring, in various stages of application/approval by the FDA.

The local oncologists are rather hesitant / skeptical / conservative about them, and insurance won't reimburse any that aren't FDA-approved. But some are affordable enough to do out of your own pocket. One that's available, but not yet approved, is this one that can detect 50 different types of cancer (not perfect, and not always earlier than imaging can detect them) with a simple $950 blood test.

If you have a serious cancer, get the heck out of Brevard. Moffitt, Shands, Mayo, and maybe Cleveland Clinic are all top-notch options within reasonable driving distance for CFL. Second and third opinions can be crucial. Lake Nona VA as well for vets, apparently. A lot of it depends on the type of cancer -- more experience at some centers than others. It's very specialized.
 08/06/2022 12:15 PM

dingpatch

The VA is on top of it. They will fly me to wherever they want me to go.

Otherwise, I am the Vanderbilt/VA's patient for the rest of my life for any "blood" cancers. I will have a video call with my Nurse Practitioner every 8 weeks and will also get COMPLETE blood labs done every 8 weeks (2 vials are overnighted to the Stem Cell lab at Vandy). The VA Medical Center at Vanderbilt is the #1 medical center in the VA and, the national group that rates hospitals has given the Lake Nona VA a 5 Star rating !!

Dora Hates You
 08/09/2022 10:50 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Oh and, , , , , , , , , , , My Team says that I can get this fucking chemo port out of my chest !!!!!! I've had it since August 2017 !!!!!!!

And, , , , , , , I just may be able to get back on a Surfing Board !!!

Congrats! I will keep you in my prayers. A year ago I spent 9 days in ICU. They put a tube in my chest. I was out when they put it in. It woke me up when they yanked it out. They must have known because, a second before, they said, What's that? And before I could say, What, they yanked the tube out. It was twice as long as I thought it was, but felt 3 times as long as it actually was.
 08/09/2022 12:14 PM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Yeww Ding! Stoked for you and the family. Cant wait to see more custom fins posted!
 08/09/2022 01:38 PM

dingpatch

No more fins for me. Too tedious for me now.

Dora Hates You
FORUMS : NPNR : I am a Success Story and I have beaten The Odds!

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .