Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AutoTune and PitchCorrection Rant
Topic Summary: Fil from Wings of Pegasus autotune analysis of Simon and Garfunkel that was autotuned
Created On: 12/17/2021 01:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/17/2021 01:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I remember when the Antares autotune rack unit became available in the late 1990's, not cheap by the way. I was playing with bands at that time and one of the guitar/vocalists bought one and we took about a week to figure it out. He was a great singer but there were times when he was tired and it is hard being a weekend warrior, so we used it for his vocals in some venues. Then Cher's song Believe came out and it was an "awwwww shit" moment. Pretty much stopped using it live at that point.

BUTTT...the music corps going back and pitch correcting old songs that are already great is bulllllllShittttt....

Fil makes some great points about current expectations of pitch correction and how there is a whole generation of singers who can't perform without it. Also, the consumer's ear has gotten used to it and a merely beautiful voice is now not enough.

Fil has a whole series on autotuning and pitch correction and analyzes some really famous bands with modern techniques and it is revealing.
Very cool if the subject interests you.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 12/17/2021 at 04:18 PM by Bamboo
 12/18/2021 06:42 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I think it probably helps a touring band but it does feel like cheating.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

12/18/2021 01:43 PM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I hate it when guitarist tune their strings when they go out. Just joking. I'll watch that video on Sunday.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .