Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Indo for Christmas
Topic Summary: ya, not surfing tho
Created On: 12/28/2021 06:21 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/28/2021 06:21 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

NGD for Christmas. I was looking for a travel/camping guitar and Mrs tom surprised me. Orangewood Oliver Jr., a 3/4 size, solid mahogany top, lam body, built in Indo. Cheap enough to be demolished camping if it happens but of surprisingly good quality and sound. Light on the bass as one would expect from such a small body but nice mellow sound, well set up (minor truss rod adjust), might give it heavier strings soon but all in, less than $200 with free shipping. What's not to like? https://orangewoodguitars.com/...cts/oliver-jr-mahogany

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 12/29/2021 02:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Let me know how it plays, I'm looking to get my son a ukulele and theirs look pretty sweet, especially for the price.

I was right.
 12/30/2021 06:02 PM

tom

Well, sound is tough to describe. The other small guitars I have are 00 sized Gibson and Larivee and of course they sound better. And they should, considering what they cost Does it sound good enough, I think so. I had a Taylor GS mini I liked, sold it, but it sounded pretty dang good. This guy does a nice comparison, the Taylor comes out on top, but again $$, the Taylor cost 3X the Orangewood. I think, at $200, it sounds pretty good. Not great, but not bad at all. Plug in your headphones: taylor-martin-orangewood comparison

12/31/2021 10:24 AM

Cole

True with the whole sound thing, I was interested in feel and quality. Is it well made is what I was after.

I was right.
 01/01/2022 04:20 AM

tom

Oh sorry! As far as construction it's actually really nice. Bound top and back. Nice fretwork. Little inlay on the 12th. Satin finish and fairly thin neck make it feel fast to me although the short scale is an adjustment, me not the guitar haha. Intonation was spot on, I just gave the truss a quarter turn to lower the strings a bit but otherwise the action was great as recieved. Color and finish work nice together so it has a sweet look. Sitting here in Withlacoochee state forest this AM, drinking coffee with sore fingers from a good session with it last night. All fun.

01/17/2022 06:55 AM

Cole

Perfect. Thanks Tom.

I was right.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .