Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Klon klones and other pedal kits
Topic Summary: ..nerdy guitar stuff
Created On: 05/30/2022 08:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/30/2022 08:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Ok, so an original Klon Centaur sells for a stupid crazy price. I remember when they sold for around the $225 mark new and now they are running $5-8k.
The pedal isn't that complicated, nor does it add 8k of goodness to guitar tone.

If you are jonsing for Klon tones and don't want to spend crazy money for an original, and you are kinda handy with a soldering iron..check out the Stewmac Ghost Drive Kit.

I've built a few now and they are really good and true to the original Klon in tone and build. The StewMac kits are really good with all the right parts and high quality enclosure, pots, jacks, chips, etc. The kit runs 100 bones.

https://www.stewmac.com/kits-a...-ghost-drive-pedal-kit

If you just want the PCB and want to source all your own you can get it from here.
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/kliche/

Personally, i don't mess with pedals enough to make it worthwhile to source all the pieces...but it would be possible to build one for about 50 bucks if you want to do that...shipping costs from different vendors is the biggest ding.

I'm not a total Klon freak, but do like what they do and they work well with other pedals and the Ghost Drive is the truest clone i have tried.

>>>

Another cool pedal kit company is Aion. They have some really nice kits.
https://aionfx.com/project-type/kit/

If you are looking for an elusive Zen Drive or old Nobels ODR-1 or old Rat...well they have really good clones here.

I assembled an ODR-1 and compared it to an original from the 1990's and it was a tone twin of the original. The original goes for about $1-2k, the kit is less than a 100 bucks.

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV

Edited: 05/30/2022 at 12:00 PM by Bamboo
 05/31/2022 09:30 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Really cool Bamboo! My soldering skillz are crap but this would probably build some! I looked at the instructions and they look pretty straight forward!
 05/31/2022 03:49 PM

Bamboo

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

GS, it ain't rocket science...you could do it!
If you decide to assemble one and need help let me know.
Also, let us know how it turns out!

-------------------------
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD WAS MUSIC - KV
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .