Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: This should take care of any nursing shortage that we have.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/27/2021 02:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/27/2021 02:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

NY nurses on the way.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 09/27/2021 02:09 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I do not understand how or why someone who works in a hospital, especially during a pandemic, would refuse to get vaccinated for the virus causing the pandemic. This measure that forces them to either quit or get vaccinated probably saves countless lives starting with their own.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/27/2021 02:25 PM

tpapablo

Originally posted by: johnnyboy I do not understand how or why someone who works in a hospital, especially during a pandemic, would refuse to get vaccinated for the virus causing the pandemic. This measure that forces them to either quit or get vaccinated probably saves countless lives starting with their own.
Could be that they know something that you don't. But it won't save their lives. I would expect that many of them will ditch NY and move to Fl where they can do their jobs in peace. Needless to say, they will die of covid in Fl, like everyone else in the state.

09/27/2021 03:07 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Should a worker who can prove immunity by an antibody test be allowed an exemption from the vaccine requirement? If not, why not?
 09/27/2021 04:15 PM

Cole

New York Governor calls in National Guard to staff hospitals...

Do you ever post anything honest?

From the NYT: Correction: Sept. 27, 2021

An earlier version of this item referred incorrectly to when Gov. Kathy Hochul discussed measures New York State might take to deal with shortages of health care workers that might arise because of the state's vaccine mandate. The governor mentioned the possibility of recruiting workers from countries like the Philippines or Ireland on Thursday, and mentioned plans to use National Guard troops if necessary in a statement on Saturday; she did not speak of both measures on Friday.

They are not needed, the numbers are now up to 90%.

I was right.
 09/27/2021 05:35 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: johnnyboy I do not understand how or why someone who works in a hospital, especially during a pandemic, would refuse to get vaccinated for the virus causing the pandemic. .
you don't understand a lot. yet, here you are - again!
 09/28/2021 04:18 AM

Lunchmeat

Joined Forum: 08/02/2003

Step by step we march towards Totalitarianism as your anger
and focus remain directed in the past.

If it’s legal will do it, if it’s not legal, we’ll figure out how to change the law-Joe Biden
 09/28/2021 04:55 AM

follydude

Originally posted by: Lunchmeat

Whatever, lunchbag.

09/28/2021 05:10 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

I do not understand how or why someone who works in a hospital, especially during a pandemic, would refuse to get vaccinated for the virus causing the pandemic.

Probably because they understand the need for long term trials in a new vaccine, especially a new type of vaccine that has never been successful in previous attempts.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 09/28/2021 05:12 AM

Lunchmeat

Originally posted by: follydude

Originally posted by: Lunchmeat

Whatever, lunchbag.

Truth hurts I know.
Imagine this if you will, peoples tax dollars are going to pay the salaries of the very person that they are forced to get a vaccination from or they themselves cannot earn a salary.

If it’s legal will do it, if it’s not legal, we’ll figure out how to change the law-Joe Biden

Edited: 09/28/2021 at 05:17 AM by Lunchmeat
 09/28/2021 05:15 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Good riddance to them.

But don't assume that every person working in a healthcare facility who is refusing the vax is a nurse or other caregiver, that's a false assumption that the right is trying to get you not to notice.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 09/28/2021 05:22 AM

Lunchmeat

Originally posted by: RustyTruck

Good riddance to them.

But don't assume that every person working in a healthcare facility who is refusing the vax is a nurse or other caregiver, that's a false assumption that the right is trying to get you not to notice.

Incredible logic! You're assuming that they are not? Every person that works in healthcare establishment is vital to the functioning of that healthcare establishment whatever their job may be. You guys act like you have absolute knowledge in every facet of every topic. Complete overreach of government power.

09/28/2021 05:42 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

LOL....because if the orderly doesn't show up people will die for sure.

I don't understand peoples obsession with forcing it on someone that doesn't want it. If you are vaccinated, you're 100% protected from the 'dumb person" that chose not to get stuck, right? So what does it matter to you?

On the other hand, when you schmucks turn into zombies I'll be locked, loaded and ready to rock.

09/28/2021 05:59 AM

Lunchmeat

Yes even the lowly orderly according to you, is vital in the entire establishment running efficiently. You don't think cleaning and sanitation is vital to a healthcare establishment during a pandemic? That's like saying a dishwasher isn't vital to a restaurant.

09/28/2021 05:59 AM

3rdworldlover

I doubt this will have a significant effect on turnover, compared to the unvaccinated idiots that are overwhelming hospitals and causing burnout and turnover to hit a record high of almost 50%
 09/28/2021 06:00 AM

Cole

The technology for this vaccine has been in the works for 30 years and has been being perfected since one of the original Sars began infecting people in 2002. The long term trials have been going on for decades.

I was right.
 09/28/2021 06:12 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Originally posted by: Cole

The technology for this vaccine has been in the works for 30 years and has been being perfected since one of the original Sars began infecting people in 2002. The long term trials have been going on for decades.

They've been attempting it since the 90's. NEVER been successful and NO LONG term trials. If I'm incorrect, please provide a link to actual data.

On a side note Dexter's research (from The Offspring) for his PhD was on mRNA vaccines for HIV and other immune deficiencies. (not real successful).

Edited: 09/28/2021 at 06:24 AM by worksuxgetsponsered
 09/28/2021 06:20 AM

tpapablo

We Floridians won't have to worry about understaffed hospitals and such. This is what good government looks like, kids.

09/28/2021 06:55 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Not all the medical field turnover is burnout. Obviously there is higher demand now, and a lot of nurses have taken traveling-nurse contractor positions where they're paid 2x-4x their previous salary to help out in a hot spot. So, some market-specific corrections there. If hospitals start increasing the pay of their full-timers, some of that turnover will disappear.

Although the mRNA research has been going on for decades, if you look at a lot of the pre-COVID press releases (particularly regarding a certain unicorn called "Moderna") discussing mRNA research, one of the big challenges they faced was delivering mRNA to the right cells without nasty side effects. Although Moderna and Pfizer/BionTech have obviously developed a workable solution for delivery, that aspect of it doesn't have quite as much history as the mRNA itself.

Another piece of that background is that they considered vaccines to be the "low-hanging fruit" compared to oral medications. In particular, they considered vaccines to be a one-and-done solution (now technically two-and-done), which minimized a patient's long-term exposure to other non-mRNA ingredients in the med. They definitely acknowledge that some people have allergies to some of the ingredients.

I know a couple unvaccinated medical professionals who both got the Delta variant this summer. The younger one got through it easily, while the older one spent some quality time in the hospital.

For me, it was never a question to get the vaccine as soon as I could (last April) despite having already had a mild case of COVID and a positive antibody test. Given my age, a couple "iffy" conditions, and the older relatives I could potentially expose to the virus, the insane benefit:cost ratio made it a no-brainer.

Given that ratio, it would be a lot more comforting to me to know that if I had to go the hospital for something unrelated to COVID, I could get in without having to call 19 hospitals first to check for availability.

But, back to my original question: Should a worker with demonstrated immunity (via antibodies from prior exposure to COVID) be able to get an exemption from the vaccine requirement?

Edited: 09/28/2021 at 06:58 AM by CurtisEflush
 09/28/2021 07:21 AM

Lunchmeat

Yes

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .