Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Mangrove Snapper
Topic Summary: on top water plug
Created On: 06/18/2020 04:57 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/18/2020 04:57 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

One of my favorite lures is a Sebile bonga minnow 72. My favorite place to fish is out of Bokellia in Charlotte Harbor. I have a 2000 Mako 171 with a 115 Evinrude etec.

Went out yesterday at odark thirty. Headed over to Bull Bay, Turtle Bay area. Its pretty much catch and release for all inshore species in this area. Its working. Snook and trout are more prevalent and bigger. Reds are still not back in numbers or size.

After multiple hook ups and releases on 18-23 inch trout and 2: 20 inch snook, I headed over to the Bokellia side near Jug creek. Its around 1130. The water is crystal clear over the grass and oyster bar. I'm throwing the top water. SNAP....Mangrove snapper in 2 feet of water. First one was just under 10". Started catching them one after the other and throwing them in the live well. Got around 8. Selected the best 5 ( limit).
Very nice fillets...Egg wash....saltine crackers crushed up and fried in a shallow cast iron pan. Fresh made cole slaw and French fries in the air oven. Wife and father in law were very pleased.

Also, as I was heading across the bay I spotted a large school of greenies. I sabikied up several. When I got back to the ramp , another boat was heading out. They were heading to the pass for Tarpon. I gave them the greenies, they were very thankful and stoked.

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 06/18/2020 05:14 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Nope, never had a mangrove on a top water. Sounds like a blast and oh so delicious. I have to say they are just about my favorite eating fish.

Sebile makes some of my favorite lures too, but I've been finding a ton of them on super sale, I wonder if there is something up with the company?

I was right.
 06/18/2020 05:30 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Ha. That's pretty sick. In regards to Sebiles... yeah, I've seen em for sale too. Strike Zone had a bunch of decent looking ones at the last tent sale I went to. They went into the shoebox full of lures I gave my brother for Xmas.... hopefully they produced some Stripers by now (been off of work for awhile in NY due to Covid)
 06/18/2020 08:30 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Mangrove snappers on artificial is fun. Used to kill mangos at the dragon point back in the day when the river was a bit more active. Right at the tip of the rock ledge there. The Eau gallie cswy used to have some good ones too.
 06/19/2020 03:27 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Strike Zone had a bunch of decent looking ones at the last tent sale I went to.

Yep, got 4 for tarpon.

Ollie's of all places had the lure below for $6. I have a box full. lol

http://www.sebile.com/sebile-h...c-swimmer/1405307.html

I was right.
 06/22/2020 06:43 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

nice! never got one on topwater but have had them crush live mullet on top

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
FORUMS : Fishing : Mangrove Snapper

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .