Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Anyone growing Mamey Sapote in zone 10a?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/23/2021 09:15 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/23/2021 09:15 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jahcocoa

Joined Forum: 07/28/2015

Is anyone growing Mamey sapote in 10a central Florida? I'm on a barrier island cocoa beach just wondering how these do here? Any variety recommendations or tips for growing these and where to get the trees?
 04/26/2021 05:55 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

You just missed last weekend's Brevard Rare fruit sale. I got a couple jaboticaba, avocado, and a new fruit for me the achacha. Its possible to grow tropicals this far North. I'm not sure about the mamey.
 04/27/2021 04:04 PM

Dangermouse01

Joined Forum: 01/24/2011

I have either a "Lorito" or Viejo" (been a while since I looked at the tag) growing in a large plastic tub in my yard.
Probably had it about 6 years, it has set fruits the last 2 years, but either dropped them all or they got knocked off.
Couple of cold snaps have set it back, and I probably neglected it to much.
I recently relocated it in the yard, so it is more visible, and gets better attention, I also have the tub sitting in a small kiddie wading pool so it gets watered better.
Heard it takes over a year from flower to fruit harvest (13 to 24 months according to UF/IFAS), so that could extend thru 2 seasons of cold.

Every once in a while I see trees for sale at Home Depot. Rockledge Gardens might have it, Green's Nursery in Apopka has them on their availability list.
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .