Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The best surfers I ever saw:
Topic Summary: (and where I saw them)
Created On: 04/16/2022 01:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 The best surfers I ever saw:   - jdbman - 04/16/2022 01:06 PM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/16/2022 01:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

The best surfers I ever saw:
(and where I saw them)

1. Mike Tabeling
Lake Worth Pier around 1971, cold front waves scrapping off the bottom of the pier. Perfect with brisk off shore NW wind. Tabeling riding a Webber Pig board carving S-turns for 200 yards all the way to the beach and then running back to paddle out next to the pier.
2. Mike Purpus
Trestles, Calif. Around 1973, hurricane somewhere off Mex throwing in long wrapping lines with offshore winds. Purpus on a board with foot straps , getting way out in front of the break , then cutting back into the hook , going virtually upside down and hammering another hard bottom turn and repeat 3 or 4 times per wave.
3. Gary Propper
Sebastian Inlet Around 1970, very good SE swell with no wind pre dawn. GP riding a twin fin , taking off at the peak of first peak and side slipping way out on the face , prior to putting the fins to it and bottom turning to the top , only to side slip all the way down again.
4. The Matre d' from the Don HO show
Canoes South Shore Oahu May 2003, very nice clean head high swell, this guy is a very slightly built Hawaiian , he is riding a classic long board shape and is goofy foot and going left. He takes off way behind the peak, Hooey offs the crowd takes incredible bottom turns, trims, cuts back, cross steps, nose rides and paddles back out twice as fast as I can. The classic longboard surfer.
5. Jeff Crawford
Late 60s early 70s , this guy was amazing, Good clean head high day at Sebastian, takes off on first peak gets tubed , weights and unweights to the shoulder and does several rocket off the lips, goes down to third peak and does the same thing coming back the other way ( He switch footed !!! )

The Rest:
Hobgoods at RCs, Our guides from Punta Mango in El Salvador, Regis Jupinko at 2nd light, Doug Deal at Sunny Isles & Boardwalk, Doug Wright Haulover jetty, DCB Sharks pit, McCranels at Reef. Clay Bennett at Jax North Jetty.

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .