Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Passing of a friend
Topic Summary: RIP
Created On: 11/04/2021 05:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/04/2021 05:50 PM  
 Passing of a friend   - Central Floridave - 11/05/2021 05:56 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/05/2021 07:10 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - jdbman - 11/05/2021 10:39 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - pumphouse - 11/05/2021 11:48 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - RustyTruck - 11/05/2021 12:08 PM  
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/09/2021 05:58 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - Cole - 11/09/2021 05:37 PM  
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/09/2021 07:29 PM  
 Passing of a friend   - dingpatch - 11/10/2021 08:24 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/15/2021 05:51 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - chopola - 11/15/2021 05:45 PM  
 Passing of a friend   - garcia - 11/16/2021 03:22 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/16/2021 07:54 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/18/2021 07:42 AM  
 Passing of a friend   - Cole - 11/19/2021 03:01 PM  
 Passing of a friend   - johnnyboy - 11/20/2021 02:53 PM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2021 05:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Saw Fred in the box today at a mere 61
Gone before his time three strokes and done
The first time off his feet in four decades
A hard life on his feet, a family and kids to raise

His liquor store was a meeting place, mixing biz and friends
His constant presence and good nature made me always stop in
Twenty years I've known him, his only problem was his kids
His brother says they killed him, and I wonder if they did

He finally make some money and spared his kids the slog
He gave them free time and money, working like a dog
He wasn't around to see them spoiled, less than honest and soft
He was working through their youth and they got a little lost

He wanted them to see his example and work as hard as him
But lazy money looks at him like some ancient has been
They made fun of him while he bought their lives
They laughed at his complaints and pride.

Today they cried and and said goodbye, they didn't see this coming
The first time in four decades he wasn't keeping the biz up and running
The tears were furious, they were real but were they really for Fred?
Whose going to finance their lifestyles now that Fred's dead?

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/05/2021 05:56 AM

Central Floridave

Boy, that's sad. RIP Fred. Didn't know you but through this I did somewhat.

11/05/2021 07:10 AM

johnnyboy

He had a terrible headache for a week but refused to go to the doctor because he wouldn't close the liquor store. By the time the last stroke hit, he was forced to go to the hospital but it was too late.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

11/05/2021 10:39 AM

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Nice ode to a friend, RIP Fred

So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 11/05/2021 11:48 AM

pumphouse

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

sorry John, RIP Fred

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
 11/05/2021 12:08 PM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

That's tragic, very young.

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 11/09/2021 05:58 AM

johnnyboy

The story of fred just keeps getting sadder
His son's drug use was that ugly side matter
He wasn't a smoker or something like that
He was shooting the hard stuff through his new tats

Let's get him treatment, sure but he wasn't insured
Let's get him arrested and make jail the cure
Let's do this lets do that but we did nothing but wait
His parents never imagined this is the route it would take

So this loose end stayed loose and hastened fred's death
Now a week later his son overdosed and took his last breath
I can't even imagine what his poor mother is going through
Two funerals in two weeks, the grief my end up killing her too

11/09/2021 05:37 PM

Cole

The great Greek Tragedies have nothing on this.

Unfortunately, he could have closed the liquor store. Alive in a van down by the river is always better than six feet under.

I was right.
 11/09/2021 07:29 PM

johnnyboy

He thought he had time. Of all of his headaches, he never imagined a week long headache was the thing that was going to kill him. He hated doctors and banks. That's how his son was able to rob him and that's why he didn't get to a doctor in time to save him. His brother told me that the son killed fred and fred killed the son. I can't even imagine the pain for the survivors.

11/10/2021 08:24 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

So sad !!! RIP

Dora Hates You
 11/15/2021 05:51 AM

johnnyboy

And now I have been asked to eulogize the son. This will not be easy.

11/15/2021 05:45 PM

chopola

Joined Forum: 09/04/2004

Im sorry to ask, but is this Fred the artist? I didnt know hw had a liquor store, or a son.
 11/16/2021 03:22 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

If you are asking about Fred Cheney of Sat Bch, the answer is, "No". Fred passed away about a year ago.
 11/16/2021 07:54 AM

johnnyboy

Not the same guy. This guy owned a liquor in Palm Beach County. It was fixture. He knew everything about wine and spirits and kept up with all the latest trends even. He got there at 7:30, did inventory and ordering until 9:30, opened til 9:30 at night and then went home at ten. He did this for four decades. Never stopped working, never took his eye off the store and adapted his life to make friends within the store rather than not have any.

11/18/2021 07:42 AM

johnnyboy

It was surreal to see the kid in the coffin that I saw at his father's funeral a mere ten days ago. It turns his cocaine had fentanyl in it. His phone was sitting there with all that evidence of who sold him his last fix doing nothing until the mother got the phone out of police custody and into the DEA with a friend. He, being far more motivated than the local police, decided to do more than feign tears and offer thoughts and prayers. The mother announced at the funeral's onset that the guy who sold her son the laced cocaine had been texting the DEA all week on her son's phone and had no idea he died. He was arrested just prior to the service. The mother and remaining relatives were wailing. They were yelling out "why God" and "how could this happen," but I never once wondered why. I had six of my clients die in one year. Fentanyl is a fast worker. I was leaving my house this morning and saw the headline in the paper in my driveway. 100,000 drug deaths in the last year. Astounding.

It was clear some of the vocal wailers were mad. Its a bit cliche to explain the steps of grief to them like there is any comfort in classifying their misery and progress with it. This was no ordinary funeral either, everyone there had been there ten days prior for Fred's send off. The priest was actually very good. He took the anger head on, told them anger is real and cannot be decided away. He told the mother and sister, Don't ask God why, ask where is God in this. A family friend followed up with his own story of losing his son a day after the boy's 21'st birthday. He said he asked why for so long that eventually, in good health and young, he suffered a series of heartattacks. It was not until he started asking where that he was able to leave his grief and remember the joy in the time he had with him. I spoke about how we all will die and no one knows when. The father and son ran out of time like we all probably will. The father was going to retire, the son was going to get clean. Life is short and hard to see while youre in it. The prodigal son returned home and not in the way his family wanted but life is short and he ran out of time to get clean, get honest, leave the friends that are worse than enemies and start over. I was surprised how much his corpse looked his dad's. The two could not have been more different. In the end, we are all the same.

11/19/2021 03:01 PM

Cole

You are a strong person Johnny, the loss combined with two open caskets within two weeks is a hell of a hammer blow. Sadness is a real soul stealer and loss is the saddest thing of all. I think you lose part of yourself when grief hits a certain level and I'm not sure you ever get it back. Talking about it helps me; it spreads the weight over a larger surface and become easier to deal with. Keep posting here if it helps.

I was right.
 11/20/2021 02:53 PM

johnnyboy

We are all the same in death. It's hard to ask where.

FORUMS : NPNR : Passing of a friend

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .