Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/10/2020 10:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - SurferMic - 02/10/2020 10:40 AM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - SurferMic - 02/10/2020 10:45 AM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - SurferMic - 03/02/2020 02:26 PM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - johnnyboy - 03/02/2020 04:40 PM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - garcia - 03/03/2020 03:41 AM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - SurferMic - 03/03/2020 05:25 AM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - garcia - 03/03/2020 08:18 AM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - garcia - 03/03/2020 08:20 AM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - SurferMic - 03/03/2020 09:27 AM  
 To the 2 indiv. who may care..Bob Weir & Wolf Bros 2/29   - johnnyboy - 03/04/2020 07:45 PM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/10/2020 10:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Bob Weir and the Wolf Bros (Jay Lane amazing dummer and Don Was a the famous studio bassist) are going to be at Bob Carr Sat 2/29 (Saturday show!!!)..... A recent review "While Weir will never be confused as one of the great lead guitarists in American music his herky jerky style and between-the-beats rhythms gave a jazzy propulsion to much of the night, though a thicker and edgier tone that did less to emulate Garcia's pristine style may have made for a fuller sound. Lane's drumming filled in the gaps to keep the rhythm aloft and on track, and Was buttressed the sound with tasteful but not showy playing, supporting Weir in the way you would expect from a producer with Was's credentials and ear. Lane contributed harmonizing vocals, though much of that duty was left to the crowd, many of whom (at least in our section) were standing and swaying the entire evening, a night of unfounded fears, surpassed expectations and community. A night in which Weir and his bandmates made Austin Grateful again" Setlist: Jack Straw... Only a River.. El Paso (Marty Robbins cover)... Queen Jane Approximately (Bob Dylan cover).. Little Red Rooster (Willie Dixon cover)... Shade of Grey.. West L.A. Fadeaway... Deal.. Blackbird (The Beatles cover)... Eyes of the World.. New Speedway Boogie.. I Need a Miracle.. Eternity.. The Other One.. Days Between... Turn On Your Love Light (Bobby Bland cover)...
 02/10/2020 10:45 AM

SurferMic

Edited: 02/25/2020 at 07:12 AM by SurferMic
 03/02/2020 02:26 PM

SurferMic

Well to the one or two who may care , Bob played his heart out playing the rythmn chords, and his herky jerky style of solos while taking on all of the vocals (backed by Jay Lane). At the age of 72? (pretty amazing) he was not on fire as age is creeping in but he put on a fine show...The clock is ticking away as the music falls into the history books...Jannus Landing was sold out wish I could have gone..Acoustics at Bob Carr was very good...Setlist: First Set Iko Iko, Ramble On Rose, Only a River, Deep Elem Blues, Little Red Rooster, The Maker, The Music Never Stopped, Easy Answers, Music Never Stopped (reprise) Second Set: Me and Bobby McGee, Scarlet Begonias, Other One, Dear Prudence, One More Saturday Night Encore: Knocking on Heaven's Door

Edited: 03/02/2020 at 02:29 PM by SurferMic
 03/02/2020 04:40 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I knew without asking you were into the blues.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

03/03/2020 03:41 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I was a huge Bob fan in the early-mid 70s (the GD's finest period in my, and many other Deadheads', opinion). His influence on the GD was phenomenal when he brought so many country hits to the band. His version of Me and Bobby McGee is my favorite version (way better than Janis's). In the late 70s, he decided he wanted to be a rock star and to air his "angst". He lost me then, but, the playlist you provided sounds like he went back a bit to his roots. Glad to hear that.
 03/03/2020 05:25 AM

SurferMic

Always was, always will be a Jerry fan, one of the top 5 musicians that ever walked the earth IMO...but at this point I will take whatever incarnation comes around...I actually really liked Ratdog, and the 50th anv. shows with Trey...not a fan of Mayer although he is very talented...So as Bob slowly morphs into the Lorax I will cont. to follow him as he will hang it up soon. If he could have plugged in Trey with the Wolf Brother's that would have been great...You of course have heard "Never miss a Sunday show"...well I could not make Sunday's show at Janus Landing but it had a great set list: Samson and Delilah, Loose Lucy , Tennessee Jed, Black-Throated Wind , Queen Jane Approximately, Friend of the Devil , Texas 1947 / Orange Blossom Special, Ashes and Glass, Don't Let Go, Ashes and Glass , Dark Star , Corrina , Standing on the Moon , Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad , Encore: RIPPLE....Must have been a great show! Listen here: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-weir/2020/jannus-live-st-petersburg-fl-7399aa6d.html

Edited: 03/03/2020 at 07:00 AM by SurferMic
 03/03/2020 08:18 AM

garcia

Dang, that sounds like an even better playlist. I remember hearing the reworked Loose Lucy in Miamuh and didn't even recognize it. I was not a huge fan of the original (on Mars Hotel), but, the reworked version was fantastic. When Jerry died, I kind of figured that period of my life was over; there was no going back or recapturing what was, so I have not seen or heard any of the "reincarnations". I'm sure they are good music, but, they are not the Dead. The last few shows I went to pretty much sucked (including Tampa just before Jerry passed) because of the crowd. More people making the scene than knowing and appreciating the music. Lots of over the edge drunks and lowlifes. When I want live, I now get my fix in Tampa at Skipper's Smokehouse with Uncle John's Band. I also have a bunch of bootleg CDs from shows that I really liked and attended (mostly in the early/mid 70s, some early 80s). I really liked that version of the band (esp with Keith Godcheaux on his baby grand and in spite of his screeching wife, Donna). After Keith, Brent never cut it for me and his songs sucked. In the mid 80s, Bob went on an epic angst songwriting binge (although props to him for keeping the band going), so the shows in the 80s were kind of a duty rather than a stoke.

If you want to see one of the best (if not the best) cover bands I've seen, catch Uncle John's Band. They play around, but, they have had a set gig for over 30 years at Skipper's and it is an epic venue - outside under the oaks. There is a mix of kids and old folks (like me), but, none of the drunken/f-edup a-holes that went with the band in the late 80s and early 90s. It is always a good time - great tribute band, great venue, and great vibe plus good food and cheap drinks. We make a point of going a few times a year.
 03/03/2020 08:20 AM

garcia

Oh, and two thumbs up to your thoughts on Jerry. I loved every band he was in. His guitar is pure.
 03/03/2020 09:27 AM

SurferMic

If you want , send me an external drive, my wife's friend worked at Phil's restaurant in CA, somehow he got a copy of every JGB show

Edited: 03/05/2020 at 05:33 AM by SurferMic
 03/04/2020 07:45 PM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Dude? Scarlet Bagonias reference?

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .