Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Boca Grande
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/07/2022 04:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Boca Grande   - jdbman - 06/07/2022 04:04 AM  
 Boca Grande   - RustyTruck - 06/08/2022 07:41 AM  
 Boca Grande   - surfsail - 07/09/2022 03:26 PM  
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/07/2022 04:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

My grandson Owen has caught fishing fever. He calls me up and says: " Hey Pops I want to catch a tarpon" Easier said then done. I get my Mako 171 prepped and ready. ( I replaced the trailer lights) Out of the ramp in Bokellia at odark thirty. Out through Shell Cut, head across to Bull Bay. Dead flat calm. A large school of greenies appears. I sabiki up a large baitwell full.

Motor out to Boca Grande pass. Its just a little past the peak of the season. Still plenty of boats out. We get in the drift. They are on the surface and on the bottom. I give Owen a Terramar rod with a Stradic 5000, 40 # braid and 40# fluorocarbon leader. Palm size, very healthy greenie, back hooked.

Around 20 minutes of drifting and resetting. We got 2 hits, I presume sharks . After about an hour, Owen gets a substantial hit. I fire up the boat and start maneuvering. He gets a jump and the hook comes out.....fuck. Rebait, back in the drift. No action. I decide to motor on the ocean side down to Captiva. Re rig with a DOA bait buster. Looking to sight cast if we see any along the way. Just off Caya Costa about a mile from Captiva pass I see the action on the surface. Owen gets up on the deck and he starts throwing at a school .

Not able to get a hook up. Undaunted we head to Captiva pass. Put the 5 O circle hook and stab a greenie. We again see them. However after an hour, no hook ups. Its around 1030 am. Owen says: "Cheeseburger in Paradise time." Head over to Cabbage Key. Great lunch.

Next its off to the Bokellia bar. Start throwing topwaters. Water has got lots of crappy weeds. We get 2 bluefish and 2 small trout. Enough. Driving home I hit a large downpour. Car wash and boat wash.

Tarpon continue to be elusive for me. However, Owen's last words to me were: when are we going again?

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 06/08/2022 07:41 AM

RustyTruck

Joined Forum: 08/02/2004

Sounds like a good time

Capitalism is based on the ridiculous notion that you can enjoy limitless growth in a closed, finite system.

In biology, such behavior of cells is called "cancer".
 07/09/2022 03:26 PM

surfsail

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

About 15 years ago went to Keys for vaca around July 4th with a friend who had a boat. Took wife with us and went fishing off the west (?) end of the bridge (pretty close to Robbie's in Islamorada) and in minutes had a good sized one on the line..

Wifey had a blast.. First 'real fish' catch..

Only found out after that they feed the tarpon at Robbies.. 'Like shooting fish in barrel'... just saying...

There are NO white people at all in the Bible... take all the time you need with that...
Please stop feeding the trolls - they will go away if you do...

FORUMS : Fishing : Boca Grande

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .