Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: sandbar formation
Topic Summary: ormond summer 2019 2020
Created On: 08/10/2023 04:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/10/2023 04:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

heavymetalhettel

Joined Forum: 12/31/2014

In Brevard I think you guys have the same problem to a certain extent that we have along Volusia beaches, (inlets are a different animal). We live and die by that longshore slough that forms and separates the beach from the sandbar where the waves break. That deep ditch goes away here and there, at only a few spots and a few times a year, usually more likely summer season. In Volusia, it's pretty reliable that those good sandbars that erase that slough, will start doing it by June of July, sometimes, even creating really good sand points. The late hurricanes and beach erosion that we experienced last year no drought have thrown a different element into the pattern, but our sandbars through Daytona Beach Shores to Ormond by the sea are still not good. That longshore ditch is wide and persistent still, throughout the area, making surfing when it's small very tide -dependent. It's almost impossible to find a good high tide sandbar when it's small, throughout the area, and even Ponce outside sandbar is not connecting to the inside. Who can tele how that slough fills in? Does the sand graduate from the outer sandbar towards the shore or from the beach outward or both? and what is the mechanism that speeds it up? To many sublties to predict for me
 08/10/2023 04:12 AM

heavymetalhettel

Joined Forum: 12/31/2014

and why aren't my attachments showing up??
 08/10/2023 05:25 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

The dynamic you're describing is a function of wave energy and annual tide. Basically, during higher wave energy (winter), sand moves from beach face to bar. During low energy (summer) the reverse occurs. The annual tide is highest in the summer/fall, lowest in winter spring. I think the best bars form up during the period sand is moving fastest. And I think that's why our "secret spot" is great for a while then disappears. That and of course when some nitwit posts it on the internet and ruins it... (eddditted for typological errars )

-------------------------
add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway

Edited: 08/10/2023 at 05:26 AM by tom
 08/10/2023 03:23 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

I think in addition to OPs general question he is also asking why hasn't the sandbar returned yet after last year's hurricanes?

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"
 08/10/2023 07:49 PM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

An excellent question. Also, why is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything, only 42?

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 08/11/2023 03:44 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

blues music &
FORUMS : Surfing : sandbar formation

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146529 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .