Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf Tumors
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/24/2017 08:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/24/2017 08:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

I finally lost a lot of weight two years ago, and last year the left and right spots of my rib cage that contact my board when paddling started to hurt. I then noticed that I had a bump under my skin that felt textured and would roll around when moved with my finger tips. They've since gotten bigger and actually hurta after surfing for the first time in a while (for example, yesterday after having been without waves for quite some time). I looked them up and apparently they are called Lipomas, but addressed as "surf tumors" within the surfing community. My left one is the size of a golf ball when I pull it out and see the round bump bulging from the skin, and the one on the right is barely noticeable. Has anyone ever gotten them or had them removed?

Edited: 02/25/2017 at 07:05 PM by Julianuribe23
 02/24/2017 08:36 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

I used to have them on the tops of my feet and little bit on my knees from knee paddling, they went away after a while.

I would think it is like a cyst but worth getting looked at to be sure.

-------------------------
I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 02/24/2017 08:38 AM

miker

Joined Forum: 04/05/2010

Not related to surfing specifically. Supericial generally, though sometimes can be entangled in other tissues. It is just a fatty and benign tumor. If it bothers you, removing one can generally be done in your doctors office in just a few minutes. Small incision just through the skin and a couple of stitches.

IF it is a lipoma ...sounds like it is from your description.

02/24/2017 08:55 AM

Wedgefield

Joined Forum: 12/18/2003

I want a PaddleAir Ergo just for this reason. My rib does same, one side worse than other.
 02/24/2017 07:09 PM

Julianuribe23

I honestly really wanna get them removed. Any idea how long the healing time is?

02/24/2017 07:22 PM

Mr. Long

Joined Forum: 12/17/2006

I have them all over. Completely benign, and only removed of they bother you. Had two removed from the left side because they were getting squashed against the surfboard. Had two more removed from my thigh because they hurt sitting on the toilet. Lol Had another one removed from my right arm because it was pinching the ulner nerve. It's simple office surgery. Incision, pop out the lipoma, snip it off, dissolving sutures. If you don't want an ugly scar, take it easy for a few weeks so it heals nicely.

Little Penquin: A winner is someone who doesn't knock me off my surfboard; Tank's definitely not a winner.

Little Penquin: He's a dirty trash can full of poop.

--Surf's Up
 02/25/2017 08:12 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Surf knots

Knots

Dora Hates You
 02/25/2017 09:00 AM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

Another thread here. Surf Doc says,

I've cut out plenty of them. If they are growing they will be prone to possible injury/bleeding etc. Have it removed.

But get a professional opinion for sure.

Edited: 02/25/2017 at 05:32 PM by RegularJoe
 02/25/2017 11:33 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

I got one removed a few years ago when it was starting to get so big that it was hurting when I surfed. like others said though, totally benign so only need to remove if it bothers you

02/25/2017 12:03 PM

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

If you want to prevent them from coming back, you probably need to change your diet. Minimize sugar, milk based products, and wheat. Cook most of your own meals. Cook veggies in every meal. Making a sausage - cook onions, green peppers with it, no bun. Eating a burger, eat it without the bun and add some veggies sides like cooking up a sweet potato, asparagus, broccoli, corn etc. Making fish => eat pure fish, not something with batter or seasoning crap on it, cook it with olive oil or coconut oil, add your own spices when you cook it (so you know exactly whats in it). cook up some veggies with it. Get more fibrous foods in your diet. Apples, Sweet Potaoes, Yuca (with onions), celery, carrots. Don't drink soda (very hard habit to break for some). To get rid of your current ones without any surgery, you might try castor oil applied directly to the area. It needs to be heated to absorb through the skin. Its a thick oil that will stain your clothes, so wear an old tshirt or something, but just rub it in good while its hot, then wipe the rest off. You can heat it in the microwave for just like 10 seconds. Make sure its warm to the touch, not hot, then rub it in.
 02/25/2017 05:45 PM

Cloudsurfer

Joined Forum: 03/09/2010

Had one removed from my left side years ago. Not that big of a ptoblem. Doc just said it was afleshy lump/tumor.

02/25/2017 10:47 PM

LBLarry

Joined Forum: 05/25/2004

Originally posted by: Julianuribe23

I finally lost a lot of weight two years ago, and last year the left and right spots of my rib cage that contact my board when paddling started to hurt. I then noticed that I had a bump under my skin that felt textured and would roll around when moved with my finger tips. They've since gotten bigger and actually hurta after surfing for the first time in a while (for example, yesterday after having been without waves for quite some time). I looked them up and apparently they are called Lipomas, but addressed as "surf tumors" within the surfing community. My left one is the size of a golf ball when I pull it out and see the round bump bulging from the skin, and the one on the right is barely noticeable. Has anyone ever gotten them or had them removed?

aaahhhhh .... aren't you a: "UCF alumni majoring in Health Sciences Pre-clinical and minoring in healthcare administration." ??

Just say'en

"Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do." - Bertrand Russell

"Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.

If I do not answer you .... nothing personal, I just have you on ignore.
 02/26/2017 02:08 AM

Julianuribe23

Originally posted by: LBLarry
Originally posted by: Julianuribe23 I finally lost a lot of weight two years ago, and last year the left and right spots of my rib cage that contact my board when paddling started to hurt. I then noticed that I had a bump under my skin that felt textured and would roll around when moved with my finger tips. They've since gotten bigger and actually hurta after surfing for the first time in a while (for example, yesterday after having been without waves for quite some time). I looked them up and apparently they are called Lipomas, but addressed as "surf tumors" within the surfing community. My left one is the size of a golf ball when I pull it out and see the round bump bulging from the skin, and the one on the right is barely noticeable. Has anyone ever gotten them or had them removed?

aaahhhhh .... aren't you a: "UCF alumni majoring in Health Sciences Pre-clinical and minoring in healthcare administration." ?? Just say'en
.  Still no dermatologist

02/26/2017 06:32 AM

artman

Joined Forum: 03/10/2009

I had one years ago and asked my doc about it and also added that my ribs were always sore after surfing to the point where I wore a vest in the Summer to relieve the discomfort, he told me it was my body's way of trying to protect the area.

I was worried that it was a tumor, I had fairly flat abs at the time except for this fatty oval that I could brush my finger across and it would jiggle, my ribs would be so sore I could hardly lift my upper body while paddling, was describing it to someone just yesterday. It went away since I can't get out as often as I did while living beachside but if I had it now I would get the rash guard with the rib padding for sure...
 02/26/2017 08:20 AM

Julianuribe23

Originally posted by: artman I had one years ago and asked my doc about it and also added that my ribs were always sore after surfing to the point where I wore a vest in the Summer to relieve the discomfort, he told me it was my body's way of trying to protect the area. I was worried that it was a tumor, I had fairly flat abs at the time except for this fatty oval that I could brush my finger across and it would jiggle, my ribs would be so sore I could hardly lift my upper body while paddling, was describing it to someone just yesterday. It went away since I can't get out as often as I did while living beachside but if I had it now I would get the rash guard with the rib padding for sure...
I always knew it was just some sort of scar tissue to protect the area. I just don't like having it there, it looks and feels unappealing 

02/27/2017 08:20 AM

stokedpanda

Joined Forum: 09/04/2015

Originally posted by: TunnelVision

no bun. Eating a burger, eat it without the bun

^^this just in buns cause cysts^^.

I troll 2L.com to be a better person in real life
 02/27/2017 08:49 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

aren't some of these calcium build up/ bone growth? Especially around sternum and knees?

02/27/2017 08:51 AM

tingo

Joined Forum: 09/22/2004

I have them to. They are called lipomas.

I have one right where you have one.

recovery time is time it takes for three to four stitched to heal.

Doc pulled what looked like chewed steak fat out of me... 

02/27/2017 09:06 AM

UCFJWH

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

I have them and I hate them!!! For me they are enormous, look like a second set of boobs. I went to a Dermatologist and he said that There was scar tissue at the base of my ribs and there are fat cells surrounding it. They tried that cool sculpting Lipo and it did nothing. Seemed like a minimally invasive way of addressing them.

Please! If you have had a procedure to remove them, please email me at UCFJWH@gmail.com. I would like to hear about your experience and what kind of doctor you went to. Also, the recovery time. My fear has always been the hard scar tissue in there and how cutting that away from my ribs would go.

Thank you all for chiming in on this. I HATE them. I want to post a photo, they are really gross.
 05/14/2021 06:42 PM

Julianuribe23

I still have them and now super serious about having them removed lol. Would you guys say my primary care doctor could do it? If not, will take suggestions on local doctors
FORUMS : Surfing : Surf Tumors

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .