Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: SUP vs. longboard
Topic Summary: Why SUP?
Created On: 01/14/2019 09:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/14/2019 09:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

I'm currently considering getting a SUP to keep up the fitness during flat spells.

I get the whole advantage of a SUP when it's flat, but when there's surf, wondering why people choose/prefer to ride a SUP over a traditional longboard.

(Note I'm not asking "shortboard vs. longboard").

I don't have any ocean experience on a SUP (only been flat water a few times). My observations, however, tell me that a SUP is at a disadvantage...harder to get through whitewater, harder to spin around towards shore, harder to bury a rail, harder to make direction changes, harder to transport, etc.

So why SUP over longboard?

01/14/2019 03:09 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

I don't SUP surf but I have friends that do and their reasons are as follows:
1) No jumping up from a prone position.
2) I can catch anything
3) I'm old and the paddling muscles ain't what they use to be...
4) Laying on a board bowing my back is not a favorite position..
5) I'm carrying a extra few muscles around my waist....
I'm an older guy too and know a couple of guys that gave up surfing due to health issues but years later got the stoke again on a SUP.
One buddy had back issues that pretty much denied him surfing in his 40's. Now, at 60, he is stoked to be out in the line up again and has gotten pretty decent on his SUP.
Its all about respect in the water.
If you don't still surf, you never really did.....
 01/14/2019 03:21 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

Rocket,

Love the analysis of the general disposition of our fellow SUPers. I'm all for getting anyone back out in the sea, but just don't lord over me with your weapon in a vein attempt to intimidate me. That's all I ask.
 01/14/2019 05:13 PM

freesurfs

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

right on, rc!

-------------------------
... positioning and selection
 01/15/2019 04:05 AM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

a lot of longboarders need to learn etiquette also

not longboarder against shortboarder -
- longboarder against longboarder

unless you like riding waves together

Edited: 01/15/2019 at 04:05 AM by GreenLantern
 01/15/2019 05:08 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

I do it because.... it's great to look like a sweeper clown Oh, and you can't beat that upper body workout
 01/15/2019 01:43 PM

UCF G

Joined Forum: 06/17/2004

I do both. SUPs are a great way to have fun and get long rides on mediocre waves. I typically take the SUP out on anything waist high or under and when the tide is too deep and the waves are crumbly. Paddling out and doing turns just take a little practice.

Although when the conditions are better, I'd rather go out on a long-board or short board.
 01/15/2019 04:20 PM

pompano

Joined Forum: 01/06/2005

I've swapped my longboard for some sweeper waves from my longboard shaper down the street. I was somewhat surprised to find out the physical conditions that enabled more water time with the SUP. my shoulders being toast and limiting my water time, I can totally understand the choice. etiquette is something for everyone, regardless of craft.
 01/16/2019 04:09 AM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

Well said pompano regarding respect. This being said has anyone wondered about how many awesome hydrofoil sups the Hightower development is going to get lmfao Respect for a sup? I chuckle. They(Brevard county) should create an all sup beach.
 01/18/2019 04:22 PM

SurfCaster

Joined Forum: 02/02/2007

Just got back from a two week trip to Maui. SUPs are everywhere....the ocean is spotless! Seriously, though, did my first sweeping session on my buddies SUP in knee hugh surf at Ukumehame and it was fun. The big thing out there now is foils...guys are riding them in small surf and killing it. They don't seem to even need a wave, just pump a few times in flat water and go!Foiling

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, captain, then it's safe to surf this beach!"

Edited: 01/18/2019 at 04:24 PM by SurfCaster
 01/18/2019 06:51 PM

Sector9surf

Joined Forum: 01/14/2010

I've only SUP surfed a few times, but with that said have probably fallen way harder on a SUP than I ever have on a longboard. SUP is much more work than it appears and I don't like standing the entire time. Other than that I've enjoyed it on short paddles and a few waves. Now SUP foiling looks like it could be fun.
 01/19/2019 08:32 AM

spindrift

Joined Forum: 10/28/2016

Lovely ladies sunning and doing yoga on the river: advantage SUP.
It IS a great long distance workout as a change from my kayaks. But harder than it looks for surfing.
But there's some mindblowing surfing being done around here on both though, just have fun!

spindrift

01/19/2019 01:22 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

SUPs are the best thing to ever happen to greedy longboarders.

Turnabout?

I was right.
 01/19/2019 05:08 PM

scombrid

I have an 8'6" Neilson quad SUP. It is really fun to surf. I can literally be paddling up the face of the wave, stomp on the tail and spin 180 and make the drop. It is fun on mush or steep stuff. But it is dog slow to paddle. It is low enough volume that I can punch it through whitewater on days up to about head high. It is too much volume to dive on big days and it really sucks to get caught inside on over head days. You can paddle your average log out faster. Not unusual for my take off on that board to be between the logs and the short boards. I only ride it because I'm a paddler before I'm a surfer and surf time needs to count as workout time so I paddle paddle paddle when I'm out so I can get a workout as opposed to sitting on my arse for extended periods waiting for sets. I see zero advantage to surfing a short SUP. Well, one advantage. If you don't come off the board then you don't need as much rubber on warm air cold water days. I think I actually have more fun on my 14' race boards in everything except for really dumpy low tide close outs. I think that it was the Saturday after Christmas. It was a screaming on shore wind all day Friday and into the night. Wind switched off shore first thing in the morning so it was left over wind swell. Occassionally about head high on the odd outside set but mostly disorganized wind slop with clean faces. Mid break was closing out pretty bad at low tide but got a lot better on incoming with the peaky surf. I had a dry hair paddle out on a 14' X 24" race board and had a ridiculous wave count. I logged 20 kilometers in 2 hours. One of my 14s is a RC. It is kind of wide at 26" and has a flatwater nose because he made it for paddling the lagoon. The sharp V nose transitions to a subtle double concave through the middle with a fatish rounded pin tail. It has just the right amount of rocker. It is really fun to surf. I am seriously considering seeing if he will shape me a 14'X23" version that has the nose raked back a bit but keeps most of the same characteristics otherwise.

01/20/2019 04:19 AM

freesurfs

Cole ... makes fair and accurate statement

... positioning and selection
 01/20/2019 04:55 AM

palerider

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Depends on conditions. Still enjoy shortboard
And longboard more. A lot guys use SUP
After surgeries or prolong injuries to
Stay in water and in shape.
So all in all whatever keeps you
doing the sport we love.
While Respect and equitte should
Always be shown.

Style is what you make it!

Edited: 01/20/2019 at 04:59 AM by palerider
 02/23/2019 03:01 PM

surfthecoochie

Joined Forum: 10/11/2006

Paddle Boarding is like Kayak riding or wind surf riding, skate boarding or skim boarding. It's not surfing.
 02/23/2019 06:44 PM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

Originally posted by: Cole SUPs are the best thing to ever happen to greedy longboarders. Turnabout?
In regard to greed, what separates a longboard from a paddleboard? the paddle. If you have a weapon and I don't I will assure you will not use that weapon against me. Carry on.
 02/23/2019 07:52 PM

dkaye

Joined Forum: 08/19/2007

say it to my face and not online and see what happens! LOL, internet tough guy FTW!

https://www.instagram.com/dj_kaye_/

02/25/2019 05:00 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: RioSirju

Originally posted by: Cole

SUPs are the best thing to ever happen to greedy longboarders.

Turnabout?

In regard to greed, what separates a longboard from a paddleboard? the paddle.

If you have a weapon and I don't I will assure you will not use that weapon against me.

Carry on.

Wave catching ability. SUP sit... well, stand outside of the LBers.

I saw a good battle between the LBers and a SUP guy at Paradise one good day. Greedfest gone bad.

I was right.
FORUMS : Surfing : SUP vs. longboard

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .