Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Riding Different Types Of Wave Craft
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/24/2019 04:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/24/2019 04:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dahui321

Joined Forum: 08/29/2014

Ok I assume we are all out in the ocean to enjoy wave ridding. It doesn't matter what you ride. Sup, Long board, short board, boogie, foil. wind, kite, skim, (sorry if I missed any) its all about fun. Get over what the guy next to you is ridding. If you are unhappy with him or her's wave count or attitude, you have a choice, surf somewhere else. This is Fl. land of same ole sand bars for miles. For anyone say that alternate wave craft isn't surfing should take a look at the roots of surfing. Pretty sure Polynesians/ Peruvians started on Stand ups and piapos and aliea's. regardless, historical pictures show everyone surfing together enjoying what they love. SURFING

Edited: 02/24/2019 at 04:40 AM by Dahui321
 02/24/2019 08:36 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

cool, but regardless of what you ride, etiquette still applies. it is easier to hog waves on a sup or log. they are also far more dangerous in the hands of a kook, as are foils. with great board size comes great responsibility. every wave isnt yours just because you see them first, paddle 50 yards down the beach where others were waiting, and get on them way outside of where smaller craft have a chance. this is why supers get so much stink eye, cause for every 1 that is cool, there are 5 others who are jerks
 02/25/2019 08:07 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Polynesians and Peruvians had and have the goods to ride. The sad fact is that around here body surfing, body boarding, knee boarding, and various other pursuits that rely on barrels and power are a shadow of what they can be in real waves.

Riddleme is right about etiquette of course.

There is one water craft I do not miss. It is so much nicer surfing in Cocoa Beach without jetskis that were prevalent back in the early 90s. Those things were foul and dangerous back when people dropped them off at Coconuts.
 02/25/2019 10:36 AM

Dahui321

I have been surfing for 51 years and never heard of etiquette in line up until I moved to Florida. Somebody please explain proper Florida surfing etiquette now that I've been living here 24 years. Growing up in Cali and 13 years in the outer islands, as well as extensive travel, I always thought it was about respect and common sense. Those who surf better than you, or are older, or live there, get the waves they want period. No matter where you go. If you do not like it tell them you don't or fall in the pecking order line or surf somewhere else. As far a dangerous surfers, here again tell them to move or get out and surf somewhere else. You can't expect someone to act or do what you believe is proper in the water. That's why we are out there. You can surf what you want how you want. You think The Duke, Da Bull, Dora, Slater, Had etiquette. I know I am going to take a beating here, but you can't expect etiquette in a world that does not put that in their daily lives. Like driving, or waiting in line. Surfing will never be about etiquette. It will always be about respect and common sense. I always respect those who deserve it no matter what they ride. And sorry but I don't give a shit about some guy who paddles out and drops anchor on his brand new Evo and is getting pissed because I'm surfing circles around him, all the while thinking that I'm not using proper etiquette Have at it!!!!

Edited: 02/25/2019 at 10:39 AM by Dahui321
 02/25/2019 10:52 AM

RiddleMe

cool buddy, but if you want to be a jerk and take every wave for 150 yards in each direction on your sup because you can, someone is eventually going to shove that paddle up your arse.
 02/25/2019 11:03 AM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Etiquette is respect and common sense.

-------------------------
I :heart; Q
 02/25/2019 05:36 PM

Cole

Most local SUPers lack wave riding skill; stuff them and you end up dead. The one I mentioned at Paradise would fade so deep, the a-frame couldn't be split. A wave for two became a wave for one.

Etiquette:

Split the peak

The rider has priority. Don't paddle for the shoulder.

Don't blow the takeoff on a solid set.

Closest to the peak owns the wave.

Don't act like you paddle slower than the girl paddling next to you.

You get one accidental cutoff.

If you paddle hard for the wave, you go.

Deep fading permitted for snakes.

I was right.

Edited: 02/25/2019 at 05:36 PM by Cole
 02/26/2019 01:38 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I was coming in one day and a British lady on the beach asked, "It looks wonderful out there, are you all members of the same club?" I laughed and said "no, surfers don't like each other". "Why not?" I'll print this thread out for next time...

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 02/26/2019 03:38 AM

Dahui321

Surfing is the most selfish thing an individual can do next to masterbation. I have surfed with the heaviest locals in the heaviest places never had a problem. Funny I mentioned Etiquette to an old Hawaiian Kanaka friend Chava Greenly on the phone yesterday, I could here him choke on his plate lunch, He died laughing. How well does Cole's rule list work in PR? Hawaii? Maybe Costa cuz its been over run by Floridians searching for another beach break. Never see em at Salsa, where that list doesn't fly either. Only a Floridian would have a problem with me in the line up, to lazy to paddle, to lazy to surf the bar 75 yards away. I am going to continue just the way I have for all these years. You don't have to like it, thats the beauty. Just over a bunch of guys who have been no where stating how SUP er's, long boarders, boogies, anyone but themselves suck, and are greedy, and should not be considered surfers. Oh and for the "riddler" please come surf with me bra. Live behind the Crown surfing by myself. I'm sure your one of those 200 jokers that are surfing in a pack 100 yards away because there is a shower and parking lot.. Love to meet ya.

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 03:44 AM by Dahui321
 02/26/2019 04:08 AM

RiddleMe

Originally posted by: Cole Don't act like you paddle slower than the girl paddling next to you.
woah. that sort of talk belongs on nsr. besides, know several ladies that can paddle circles around most dudes
 02/26/2019 04:17 AM

RiddleMe

Originally posted by: Dahui321 Oh and for the "riddler" please come surf with me bra. Live behind the Crown surfing by myself. I'm sure your one of those 200 jokers that are surfing in a pack 100 yards away because there is a shower and parking lot.. Love to meet ya.
i surf across the street from my hood at perkins. everyone is pretty cool their, neighbor atmosphere, and very limited parking for outsiders. the break even manages to not suck once in a while. you probably wouldnt fit in here judging by how personal you are taking comments basically saying not to be an asshole in the water

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 04:19 AM by RiddleMe
 02/26/2019 05:34 AM

RioSirju

Joined Forum: 04/15/2011

Yeah DaHui321 I also surf Perkins. I wonder if you started this thread cause you miss having someone to surf with? edit: digression.

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 05:54 AM by RioSirju
 02/26/2019 07:22 AM

surfmcc32

Joined Forum: 11/11/2009

Doesn't seem fair that you can say we can't have etiquette, but you can impose your own rules? Etiquette is literally just some basic rules to ensure basic respect and safety in the water. You said those older than you get whatever waves they want? So you can impose rules but etiquette is stupid? I hope you can see the hypocrisy in this.
 02/26/2019 08:25 AM

bluestreak

Joined Forum: 03/30/2009

Originally posted by: Cole

Most local SUPers lack wave riding skill; stuff them and you end up dead. The one I mentioned at Paradise would fade so deep, the a-frame couldn't be split. A wave for two became a wave for one.

Etiquette:

Split the peak

The rider has priority. Don't paddle for the shoulder.

Don't blow the takeoff on a solid set.

Closest to the peak owns the wave.

Don't act like you paddle slower than the girl paddling next to you.

You get one accidental cutoff.

If you paddle hard for the wave, you go.

Deep fading permitted for snakes.
No ill will intended here. Your observations are not entirely correct sir, of course how would you know, you have not tried it probably. Also realize we are probably talking about some pretty small surf here to begin with. I hope that other SUP'rs would agree with most of these statements below,

There are a few very skilled SUP'rs out where I go but you are probably right, most are
beginners or are not surfers. I have had to resort to it, not entirely though, just on
small days. I like to think I'm more than just a beginner now. So knowing that, some of
your list, even for surfers at the same skill level, is not always achievable.

Having surfed for 30 years or so I will try to relate. You are paddling on one side at a
time, that is a problem, at least as I see it. It takes a certain level of skill to direct and
keep the board on a narrow track. Crowds are not your friend here and before you say
it, no I generally am not going walk too far down the beach after already having walked
to my access at the end of my street that I have lived and surfed at for over 20 years.

I have been doing it for almost a year now, have improved immensely and can actually
surf the wave, imagine that, taking board size into account of course.

I don't know what fading is so can't debate that. Rider priority, of course, goes without
saying. Not blowing the takeoff on solid sets and paddling your A$$ off, I have to
laugh, believe me when I tell you this kills me a hell of a LOT more than I think you.

It's just not always possible to change track quickly enough without upsetting the
forward motion of these boards. A surf board can drop in sliding sideways a bit until the
fins start tracking and paddling it the fins don't really come into play. When a SUP fin
is not tracking that is a problem.

In my case, on my SUP, if I have priority and you aren't right next to me, then take
your strokes and take that wave if I don't call you off. Just don't inhibit my ability to
catch the wave. I can ride both directions well enough but have a terrible time
dropping in backside at this point in my learning, I would hate to have someone miss a
wave I did not catch, going either direction.

There are jerks and the ignorant everywhere, some of them are SUP'rs some of them
are riding surf boards.

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 09:37 AM by bluestreak
 02/26/2019 08:55 AM

Greensleeves

Lums dee dum. A funny photo since there are about 30 people out.

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 08:57 AM by Greensleeves

Perkins Wave.jpg
Perkins Wave.jpg  (76 KB)
 02/26/2019 09:05 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 07:29 PM by SurferMic
 02/26/2019 09:17 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Dont Mess With Da Hui

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 09:17 AM by Plan B
 02/26/2019 12:22 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Edited: 02/26/2019 at 07:29 PM by SurferMic
 02/26/2019 01:10 PM

SoMlbBch007

Joined Forum: 08/24/2012

Originally posted by: Dahui321 Surfing is the most selfish thing an individual can do next to masterbation. I have surfed with the heaviest locals in the heaviest places never had a problem. Funny I mentioned Etiquette to an old Hawaiian Kanaka friend Chava Greenly on the phone yesterday, I could here him choke on his plate lunch, He died laughing. How well does Cole's rule list work in PR? Hawaii? Maybe Costa cuz its been over run by Floridians searching for another beach break. Never see em at Salsa, where that list doesn't fly either. Only a Floridian would have a problem with me in the line up, to lazy to paddle, to lazy to surf the bar 75 yards away. I am going to continue just the way I have for all these years. You don't have to like it, thats the beauty. Just over a bunch of guys who have been no where stating how SUP er's, long boarders, boogies, anyone but themselves suck, and are greedy, and should not be considered surfers. Oh and for the "riddler" please come surf with me bra. Live behind the Crown surfing by myself. I'm sure your one of those 200 jokers that are surfing in a pack 100 yards away because there is a shower and parking lot.. Love to meet ya.
Best times ever at Salsa! And so true, we were the only Floridians there on 2 separate trips. Yea we would see them for one day or even session then no sign of them the next day lol Something about hucking yourself over the ledge of 8 foot Salsa barrel they werent too fond of..... Hairball junction....Stayed with Capt Zero Patrick, what a friggin trip that was! Classic times brotha and you never dropped in on me or vice versa (unless it was a party wave of course) If you had the balls you could sit deeper than the locals but not many did...
 02/26/2019 04:20 PM

Cole

I wasn't referring to SUP people. They seem to make their own rules.

I was right.
FORUMS : Surfing : Riding Different Types Of Wave Craft

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .