Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf trip to Bali this June
Topic Summary: Looking for tips/insiders/advice
Created On: 04/14/2019 01:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/14/2019 01:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Julianuribe23

Joined Forum: 05/21/2012

I'm thinking of going there for 2 weeks in mid/late June. I'm living in HI the entire summer, so tickets from there are cheap compared to flights from Fl and I can't pass it up. Any recommendations on which hostels to stay at, scooter rentals, and where to buy a board at? Any other bits of info about other things are also more than welcome!
 04/15/2019 05:18 AM

vwsurf

Joined Forum: 06/15/2004

I have bought boards from a shop called Hot Banana Surf Shop, very small in Kuta beach. I pay $200 for new epoxy boards, He has lots of FCS fins but priced about the same in the USA (take your own fins/leash) his whatsapp# is +62 081 236783797. His email is hotbanana_2001@yahoo.com. I think his name is Poha. There are a couple of shops on the same street. If you want to keep the boards, they custom make board bags, I got a 6'6 double bag for $90. Make sure your phone is unlocked and pick-up a sim card outside of the airport much cheaper. The driver I use is Panca his whatsapp is +62 878 62167383. PM me I can give u some more info. I find cheap tickets using Cebu Pacific from Manila to Bali. I'm in Guam.

-------------------------
Surf all day, polka all night, everything is alright.
 04/15/2019 05:31 AM

coolchange

Joined Forum: 08/28/2011

I stayed there way way back- so not sure it all applies......but I stayed tight in Kuta at The La Walon Bungalows . in 1993. They were super cheap back then - like $15 a night- full AC and Pool bar......it's right in the maze of alleyways but a two second walk to Kuta Beach and some of the reefs near the airport. This is definitely the urban way to go.....but all the night life is right there if you like to go out. Other than that, I would look towards staying up toward Uluwatu or Padang Padang . about 2-25 minute scooter ride. When I was there , there were just a couple of super cool places on the cliff.....now it's downright a super high rise from what I had seen. For a cool side trip-take an overnight or two to Nusa Lembongan. There are a couple nice breaks there, and it's like a throw back island or of course at least it used to be. I understand there are also now like 4 day trips to Grajagan. Back then it was overnight drive ferry then dive and ferry again- and a must stay of one week with no chance to leave if you got hurt unless a complete emergency. So that is very user friendly for travel, but I'm sure the wave is still full throttle as always. To drive there you will need an international drivers license. I suggest you definitely get one. I was shaken down a number of times by the police....they just want 10 bucks and then be on your way with a verbal.....but that was all back then. See if you can make a trip up to Ubud to visit the temple ceremonies that they do up there most weekend evenings- a real experience- and the art work in that area will simply amaze you at how talented these folks are and how reasonable the carvings and artwork are- not surf oriented- but you'll really be glad you did it. The people there have hopefully not changed- they are hindu and believe in Karma , they are simply the most open and wonderful people you may ever meet. Try not to approach by taking video or pics- or really any time for that matter. You will get back what you give if you go there with a good heart and a smile......I hope that has not and will not ever change there- take it all in and enjoy yourself out there. I spent about 4 months in 93- and to this day it's probably the best thing I have done travel wise in my life...magical place
 04/15/2019 06:26 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

What Coolchange says!

Spend a chunk of time at G Land.
Plenty of cheap places in Kuta.
Scooters are way more of a deadly risk than any of the waves. Hire a driver to drop you at Ulu or or one of the breaks for the day.
Post up at one of the Warungs for the day. They will watch your stuff, feed you as much food and beverages as you want.. get a massage between sessions.. Catch an epic sunset.. all for about $20 or so. Then get a ride back to your hotel. Surf utopia!
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .