Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: The Last Run of Surf
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/27/2019 01:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/27/2019 01:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SurferSince1965

Joined Forum: 05/29/2015

This may have been the last of the great surf in Satellite Beach. We all know what happens when the ACOE does dune renourishment and how it effected the breaks, just wait till they pour all that sand on the Reef, no more surf breaks. I lay the blame at our City, County, and the Army Corp. of Engineers officials who don't give a damn about our surf. Sad to watch really. Save the Lagoon and Kill the Reef, yea that makes sense.

-------------------------

JMA

11/27/2019 06:21 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach sand project to begin in December
Jim Waymer, Florida TodayPublished 2:26 p.m. ET Nov. 26, 2019 | Updated 8:22 a.m. ET Nov. 27, 2019

A California dredging contractor began stockpiling sand this week between the Spessard Holland north and south parks, for a $31.1 million project to widen shorelines from there to Satellite Beach, with more than a third of the cost going to a man-made reef.

This work marks a major milestone for property owners within the so-called Mid Reach, which spans 7.8 miles, from Pineda Causeway south to Flug Avenue in Indialantic.

But even more sand is on the way in 2020. Including the Mid Reach, the Space Coast will see a combined $53.6 million in projects to bulk up beaches by early May.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is constructing three project areas, as a single construction contract. These include the South Reach and Mid Reach, with Brevard County as the local sponsor; and Patrick Air Force Base on behalf of the U.S. Air Force. And a fourth county project will fatten up dunes for better storm protection in the South Beaches.

Although costly, the new sands bring long-awaited buffers from storm-driven seas to many, county officials assure. They cite studies that show each dollar spent on beach renourishment results in triple or more in the value in property protections, not to mention how healthy beaches bolster the $1 billion in yearly economic impact beaches bring to Brevard.

The new sand is especially significant for Satellite Beach and Indian Harbour Beach. Those two beaches were left out of the larger federal sand-pumping projects from Cape Canaveral to Melbourne Beach over the past two decades, because the federal government protects the offshore coquina rock outcroppings there. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration designates the rocks as essential fish habitat. The rocks provide shelter for fish and substrate for Sabellariid, a somewhat rare marine worm.

But after years of studies and permitting, the federal government allowed a dredging project, which offsets the 3 acres of the offshore coquina rock that the project will bury with a $10.6 million, 4.8-acre man-made reef.

"It is unique," Mike McGarry, Brevard's beach renourishment coordinator, said of the stockpiling of dredged-up sand to replenish the Mid Reach.

"They expect to begin moving this sand by truck along (State Road) A1A, to the Mid Reach in mid-December," McGarry said. "Work will generally start at the south end of the Mid Reach and work northward, to be completed by early May."

In a $20.5 million project, Dutra Dredging is dredging sand from Canaveral Shoals - an area about five miles off of Cape Canaveral - and stockpiling it on the beach between Spessard Holland North and South parks. The 350,000 cubic yards of sand will be hauled by truck north on State Road A1A to be placed in the Mid Reach. They're hauling sand by truck to minimize burial of nearshore rock reefs.

But the local chapter of Surfrider Foundation,a surfing and conservation group, still has opposed the plan because of the natural reef it will bury.

The mitigation reef was successfully completed in the summer of 2019.

"Initial observations show it is functioning well," McGarry said of the $10.6 million artificial reef, made of articulated concrete mats, with embedded coquina rock.

The local cost share (about 22%) for the Mid Reach is provided by the county's 5% Tourism Development Tax on hotel rooms and other short-term rentals, McGarry said.

Beyond the Mid Reach, the following sand placement is expected to be finished by May 7, 2020:

South Reach ($10.5 million) - 500,000 cubic yards of dredged up sand on 3.8 miles from Flug Avenue south through Spessard Holland Park, Indialantic and Melbourne Beach. The construction is being fully funded by the federal government in response to Hurricane Irma.
Patrick Air Force Base ($7.5 million) - 375,000 cubic yard of sand on 3.7 miles of base shoreline. This work is funded by the Air Force.
South Beaches ($4.5 million) - 98,500 cubic yards of sand sand along the eroded dune face to repair erosion caused by Hurricane Dorian, between Spessard Holland Park and Sebastian Inlet State Park. This Brevard County emergency dune project does not involve the Corps of Engineers. Funding provided by the Tourism Development Tax on short-term rentals, and partial reimbursement will be sought from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Some beach access points may be temporarily closed when work is taking place in the immediate area, county officials say, but they vow to keep beach closures to a minimum.

A weekly construction update can be heard at 321-637-5374 or found here http://www.brevardfl.gov/NaturalResources/Beaches

from: https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/environment/2019/11/26/satellite-beach-indian-harbour-beach-sand-project-begin-decembe/4305717002/

11/27/2019 07:27 AM

Cole

I'm amazed that anyone can get funding for beach front construction anywhere south of Patrick. The whole thing seems like a scam. One storm like that in the Bahamas and it's all in the water.

I was right.
 11/27/2019 08:12 AM

SurferSince1965

And then our local governments will let them rebuild after we put more sand on the beach, insane. I love how they tell us they are only going to bury 3 acres of reef, what a lie, they are going to bury 10 miles of reef which is all of it except for PAFB.

JMA

11/27/2019 10:43 AM

Cole

Mark Reality has never recovered from the last dump and here we go again.

I was right.
 11/28/2019 06:54 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

The new sand is especially significant for Satellite Beach and Indian Harbour Beach. Those two beaches were left out of the larger federal sand-pumping projects from Cape Canaveral to Melbourne Beach over the past two decades, because the federal government protects the offshore coquina rock outcroppings there. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration designates the rocks as essential fish habitat. The rocks provide shelter for fish and substrate for Sabellariid, a somewhat rare marine worm. But after years of studies and permitting, the federal government allowed a dredging project, which offsets the 3 acres of the offshore coquina rock that the project will bury with a $10.6 million, 4.8-acre man-made reef. " - TRANSLATION SOMEONE GOT PAAAAAID! Sorry to hear this guys...... Middles and Blowhole never fully recovered up here from a project like this... and we dont even have natural reef bottoms.
 11/28/2019 08:00 AM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

If this is any consolation, the sand they put in Sat Bch in winter 2018 is all gone. The coquina reef is a big conern as that is and always has been the common denominator to Sat Bch's, and one major spot in particular, preservation of a 3-4 A-frame peak lineup since the mid-1970s that I know of.

Speaking of that last swell, it was so damn good because of the 45 degree swell dire tion. Those lows that go off Georgia and the track it took could not have been better.

Looks like some mild fun coming Sunday as well.
 11/28/2019 08:26 AM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

One of the better Sat Bch breaks effecting bathymetry is way offshore. Nearshore/beach sand will not effect that mechanism. What it most likely will do is create backwash until it's washed away by subsequent major swell events. Near term shorebreak would be affected, long term the sand will erode and build back just like the natural sand has always done. Interestingly the last major N swell seemed to add sand to the dune line based on where it is on the stairs that go down to the sand. I guess you've got to protect your tax base at all cost. Huge condos almost on the dune line have to be the ugliest monstrosities imaginable. To bad the building codes/zoning aren't like Bradenton where I don't think there are any structures over two stories on the beach....could be wrong on that...but that's what I recall.

Edited: 11/29/2019 at 08:57 AM by grdsurf
 11/28/2019 06:19 PM

Cole

Satellite is like old school Jersey; anything for a buck.

I was right.
 11/29/2019 01:30 AM

SurferSince1965

Selling their souls to change "our sleepy little town" as one moron from NY said at a "sustainability board" meeting recently.

JMA

11/29/2019 05:43 PM

SurfAddict

Joined Forum: 09/17/2009

Originally posted by: rc If this is any consolation, the sand they put in Sat Bch in winter 2018 is all gone. The coquina reef is a big conern as that is and always has been the common denominator to Sat Bch's, and one major spot in particular, preservation of a 3-4 A-frame peak lineup since the mid-1970s that I know of. Speaking of that last swell, it was so damn good because of the 45 degree swell dire tion. Those lows that go off Georgia and the track it took could not have been better. Looks like some mild fun coming Sunday as well.
Unfortunately, the scope of this project is way more than the 2018 dune restoration project. This is a beach-widening project akin to the north reach area...aka Cocoa Beach. To make matters worse, this is a 50-year project where they will "re-nourish" every 2-years as needed. I'm not opposed to dune restoration, so long as it is with high-quality compatible sand, but I AM opposed to artificial beach widening and the burial/ repeated burial of our natural nearshore coquina reefs. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting insignificant detrimental impacts to our surf breaks, especially on less than epic swells, notwithstanding the offshore bathymetry that favors certain breaks.

Surfing is my passion...obsesssion... addiction! Can't imagine life without it!
 11/29/2019 05:59 PM

SurfAddict

Joined Forum: 09/17/2009

Originally posted by: SurferSince1965 And then our local governments will let them rebuild after we put more sand on the beach, insane. I love how they tell us they are only going to bury 3 acres of reef, what a lie, they are going to bury 10 miles of reef which is all of it except for PAFB.
SS1965, you absolutely correct...while the county contends that only 10% of the natural coquina reef will be buried, make no mistake that they will bury 100%. It is ludicrous to believe otherwise. The reefs in PAFB are not immune either, as they will also be buried in this fiasco...the only difference is the funding...PAFB will fund this project on "their" beaches. God help us...

Surfing is my passion...obsesssion... addiction! Can't imagine life without it!
 11/30/2019 06:02 AM

rc

SA, I hear you, this an attrocity. It appears all we can do is sit back and watch. There are those here who have attended numerous meetings to no avail. Check out Ordinance 1177: Notice of Change of Permitted Uses Section 30-903.

This meeting will take place Dec 4 at 7:00pm. In Sat Bch regarding Pelican Coast North Satellite Beach.

Among other things this proposes to change is removing the maximum stories a building can be, and changes to maximum building length.

Will they shoot for 20 stories like Daytona?

Our local and state governments are piling on bad after bad for our ocean resources.
 11/30/2019 06:14 AM

rc

Municode for Pelican Coast

They are wanting to amend sections 30-903 and 30-914

Edited: 11/30/2019 at 06:23 AM by rc
 11/30/2019 06:21 AM

rc

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I read in Fla Today where Mayor Frank Catino said that these are the bylaws set in place and he didn't like it any more than we do, but there's nothing any of us can do ... and now they are trying to change those by "REMOVING THE MAXIMUM STORIES A BUILDING CAN BE".

Am I missing something?

Edited: 11/30/2019 at 06:22 AM by rc
 11/30/2019 06:39 AM

stringbender

Joined Forum: 06/08/2012

I have watched beach renourishment in Martian (Martin) County for decades, been surfing there since the 60's. In offshore Hobe Sound in the area where they sucked up sand to pump onto the beach a grey material unlike beach sand was mixed in? It turned out it was Titanium. As you know that is a structural metal, but not in the pureness to extract otherwise they surely would have, the point is,,,,it makes a mess on the beach and when disturbed it coats everything living thing, creature that loves salt water. We are not known for "reef's in Martian county", we have rubble reef's, look on the deep sea fishing spots charts, its mostly all construction rubble. Why won't natural reefs grow here? Why is the water so ugly vs Jupiter to the south and Ft Pierce water to the north? Because we have a toilet that flushes into the "St. Lucie River and the Super Nova of Marine Biodiversity called "the Indian River" which starts in Stuart and stretches up to Mosquito inlet. The priorities of our law makers are controlled by the movers and shakers of the town's. Surfers are probably on the bottom of the list. The only advocate I ever found was Surfriders club....and honestly its probably ineffective in changing a broken system. If you find a worthy platform to prioritize "your local concerns of the surfing community", that is someone that can direct the concerns of Satellite Beach surfers into a complaint there are others in the state of Florida that share your concerns, some from Martian County, like me. I love the beaches and the town of Satellite Beach Florida. I would be glad to take the time to voice, letter writing campaign, to further your voice.
 12/03/2019 01:54 PM

SurferSince1965

rc, they have me confused and I bet they have a lot of us confused. They talk about the North side of Pelican Coast like it has different rules vs the South side. So I am never sure which rules apply to which side of PC? It would be great if someone asked the city attorney if any these changes need to go to the voters? If he lies then he is in jeopardy of losing his law license. Might have to get there early to sign in and ask myself. I am suspicious of the City of Satellite Beach government, I am not sure they are ethical.

JMA

12/03/2019 04:04 PM

rc

SS65, John Stone (chief building official for SB) told me 3 years ago that the Oceana Condo was giving 25 feet on the south side of the twin monsters only to find out it was a verbal committment. I know I keep repeating myself, but it speaks to honesty and it appears to be lacking.

A developer asks for no maximum height limit on a building and you look them in the eye and say no. WTH
 12/04/2019 03:54 AM

SurferSince1965

Sent the City Manager and every Council member an email this morning asking them directly if this had to go to the voters for approval. If not why not? Could not be more direct in my question. If I don't get a reply I will be there tonight to ask the same question. Do you realize the change they are requesting has NO height limit???

JMA

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .