Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surf sunglasses
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/03/2020 03:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/03/2020 03:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

FATLIPP

Joined Forum: 03/07/2006

I know I have seen Wavecaster wearing some in the water. Any good reports on surfing sunglasses. Old eyes don't hold up like they used to.
Thanks
 04/03/2020 04:38 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Good question.... I've wondered the same. Got a pterygium (however you spell it?) in my left eye.... Have seen the goofy "sea specs", but how well do they work, and when you surf is it like driving in the rain without wipers?
 04/03/2020 05:38 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I'd say shades that, when you lose them, you don't cry. I had some $200 Revos I got in exchange for A/C repairs at a local surf shop. I just finished a session at Tulin in CR. It was super low tide and there was a little sandbar 10 yards off shore. I took the li'l wifey out so she could frolic in the water after sitting in the sun for a couple hours. A wave came over the bar, up the sloping beach, came back and met with another wave right under my face. The combo blew my Revos to D J's locker. I had them about a year which was 12 times longer than I thought I'd have them.
 04/04/2020 08:08 AM

jloryfsu1

Joined Forum: 08/12/2011

I used to use Kurtis sunglasses but last time I used them one of my lenses cracked when I got hit by a wave. Should have been warrantied but sent numerous emails,tried calling and I am wondering if they are out of business. Glasses cost $160 so not cheap. I now wear spex amphibians. They are quite big so I look like a look but they are awesome other than how I look. No fogging, really good coverage, float and stay secure w safety strap. Have worn in Costa Rica on at least ten trips w zero issues. Not expensive either. https://spexusa.com/

-------------------------
 04/05/2020 10:22 AM

Tiptime

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

FATLIPP---SeaSpecs are the best!!! 15years now, I do not surf without them.
Started wearing them because of Pterygium issues, the Pterygium have gone away.

The Wavecaster
 04/05/2020 10:34 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: TiptimeStarted wearing them because of Pterygium issues, the Pterygium have gone away.
REALLY?!? that's great! I thought they were there unless they were zapped off? I have a pretty solid one in my left eye (as do a few of my friends) How is seeing out of those seaspecs when they're wet?

Edited: 04/05/2020 at 10:35 AM by Plan B
 04/05/2020 11:50 AM

Tiptime

Originally posted by: Plan B

Originally posted by: TiptimeStarted wearing them because of Pterygium issues, the Pterygium have gone away.

REALLY?!? that's great! I thought they were there unless they were zapped off? I have a pretty solid one in my left eye (as do a few of my friends) How is seeing out of those seaspecs when they're wet?

Eye operation or getting use to them? the key to avoid water droplets is keeping sunscreen off the lens.

The Wavecaster
 04/05/2020 01:10 PM

RegularJoe

Joined Forum: 11/20/2011

For general education, it's worth googling "pinguecula vs. pterygium"
 04/05/2020 01:45 PM

Tiptime

Originally posted by: RegularJoe

For general education, it's worth googling "pinguecula vs. pterygium"

To the barbie and Ken couple that made fun me for wearing SeaSpec at Sebastian Inlet two days before it got shutdown, read up children!!

The Wavecaster

Edited: 04/05/2020 at 01:52 PM by Tiptime
 04/05/2020 02:01 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I need to try some of these. My eyes are taking a beating between allergies, the ocean and the sun.

...and computers.

I was right.
 04/05/2020 02:09 PM

FATLIPP

Joined Forum: 03/07/2006

Thanks a ton Tip. I needed real world knowledge. Ordering them shortly.
 04/06/2020 08:23 AM

IamSAW2

Joined Forum: 01/10/2014

I had a pair of Silverfish for awhile until a wave to the face popped a lens out. Sunscreen is your enemy (for clear vision). Wearing them farther down on the bridge of the nose helped keep them from fogging. Used rainex after every session and kept the lenses spotless. For the most part I only wore them on very clear summer sun blazing days. Lately just buying walmart polarized fishing glasses with the reader lens for < $20 and a croakies strap works just as good, plus I can read the fine print at the bottom of the wave too. Your mileage may vary.
 04/06/2020 09:37 AM

sharkfood

Joined Forum: 07/03/2009

My recommendation is go cheap and pair up with a bucket hat. Helps to keep the glare off the water droplets, protects your face from getting raccoon eyes, and you can use your hat to wipe off the smudged lenses. Works for me.

04/07/2020 04:31 PM

SurfDoggyDog

Joined Forum: 08/07/2004

Kurtis surf goggles. Find them at kurtisUSA.com I have used all the other aforementioned...none even come close. You get a proper tether with them as well. The best! Check 'Em!

Give a smile, get a smile
 04/08/2020 10:46 AM

Quadro

Joined Forum: 11/14/2017

FCS makes the best bucket hat I've tried so far. 10 years in with my current one with lots of use. Kooky looking but effective.
 04/08/2020 11:08 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

Originally posted by: Quadro

FCS makes the best bucket hat I've tried so far. 10 years in with my current one with lots of use. Kooky looking but effective.

I've had my FCS hat for years. I use if for work, surfing, fishing....everything. I almost lost it in a wave one day and spent over an hour searching for it before a little grommet ran it over to me.

Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 04/08/2020 11:21 AM

HAPDigital

Joined Forum: 11/29/2004

Originally posted by: SurfDoggyDog

Kurtis surf goggles. Find them at kurtisUSA.com I have used all the other aforementioned...none even come close. You get a proper tether with them as well. The best! Check 'Em!

These look interesting. It appears they stay off your face more for a natural water flow. But how does the water inside do? I hate water beads and blurry vision.,
 04/08/2020 01:00 PM

tpapablo

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

I used to use the Oakley water jackets, which were great. Since I busted them and Oakley stopped making them, I have tried several types and now have the Kurtis. Like them a lot, though not as good as the water jackets. They have a solution they give you that keeps the glasses pretty much water free. Can see well with them.

I :heart; Q
 04/09/2020 01:16 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

Originally posted by: tpapablo

I used to use the Oakley water jackets, which were great. Since I busted them and Oakley stopped making them, I have tried several types and now have the Kurtis. Like them a lot, though not as good as the water jackets. They have a solution they give you that keeps the glasses pretty much water free. Can see well with them.

A little spittle will keep them from fogging.
 04/09/2020 04:55 PM

SurfDoggyDog

Joined Forum: 08/07/2004

No water droplets inside or out! They also have a natural based rain-x type of spray on/wipe off coating to keep them crystal clear once they age some I have surfed them around the world. They are the shit! Get 'em and be happy!

Give a smile, get a smile
FORUMS : Surfing : Surf sunglasses

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .