Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Speed limit on A1A will drop from 55 to 35 this Friday, May 1st
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/28/2020 04:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/28/2020 04:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

From Indialantic to Pineda Causeway!

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 04/28/2020 04:26 AM

SunriseSurfer

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Speed limit on A1A will drop from 55 to 35 this Friday, May 1st

From Indialantic to Pineda Causeway!

That's why they dropped it....
.... everyone thought it was 55

A1A speed limit will drop from 45 to 35 mph May 1 from Pineda Causeway to Indialantic

Ticket paradise, gonna be some tickets given out.

Puerto Rico 11 - 24 - 2013
 04/28/2020 04:34 AM

dingpatch

"Ticket paradise, gonna be some tickets given out."

And, plenty of complimentary body cavity searches!

Dora Hates You

Edited: 04/28/2020 at 04:34 AM by dingpatch
 04/28/2020 09:54 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

This is garbage. A1A is a HIGHWAY. We all built our houses next to A1A, not the other way around. Learn (and teach your children) how to cross the road safely and this wouldn't be a problem. It's like people building their house next to an airport and complaining about the sound. Just another example of "I'm here now, time to change the rules because I'm important." I learned/was taught to cross A1A safely when it was 2 lane and backed up to the Cape every afternoon (and I was only 7).
 04/28/2020 10:13 AM

dab

Joined Forum: 08/08/2003

Speed Limit is not included in the definition of a Highway: The term highway includes roads, streets, and parkways and all their appurtenances (23 U.S.C. 101). By fhwa.

This speed limit reduction falls in line with the SCTPO adoption of VisionZero

Pedestrian survivability when hit by a motor vehicle is a order of magnitude higher at 45mph compared to 35mph.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Edited: 04/28/2020 at 11:11 AM by dab
 04/28/2020 10:59 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I did the math (using a web app, ha!) and it adds approximately 3.5 minutes to the commute over the 9 miles.

Edited: 04/28/2020 at 10:59 AM by Greensleeves
 04/28/2020 04:06 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

35 MPH? LOL good f'in luck. They will do about as great a job policing that as they did keeping people off the beach ..

05/01/2020 05:04 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

It's on, and it's a cluster. I saw 3 cops in IHB w/ cars pulled over on a short trip this morning.
 05/01/2020 05:15 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

seems like in my stretch of A1A, 45mph meant 50 - 55mph...so I am guessing 35 will equal 40-45 mph...Ah, I still remember the days of running 60mph all they way to the inlet after Mel Bch. Things changed when Billie ran over and killed Red on his scooter...I miss Red working the gate at SI.
 05/01/2020 05:18 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

WTF did they sneak out in the middle of the night and put those yellow posts up at the crosswalks to add to the madness? What a shit show....
 05/01/2020 05:19 AM

twinfin62

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

Police everywhere! I bailed and went OTB at Eau Gallie to US1. This change seems pretty extreme and over reactionary. They also put a post on the center line. An extra little bonus needle to thread on our commute......Why didn't they just change the yellow flashing lights to red and see how that would work?

Love God, Hate Sin...
 05/01/2020 05:32 AM

dingpatch

SurferMic, 48 years ago, when I went to Monster Hole every day (or a secret spot further south), , , , I'd hit the top of the inlet bridge doing 90.

twinfin62, No, not near as bad as it could be. They could have put 4-way stops at the intersections of every side street!!

Dora Hates You
 05/01/2020 06:06 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

S. A1A was designed for, and used to have, a speed limit of 65 mph. And, just wait, they will have those 4-way stops someday, just like Miami. That's what many are gunning for. (Of course, they will take their real estate/developer money and retire to Maggie Valley, as Carl Langford did after he brought The Mouse here.)
 05/01/2020 07:25 AM

cheaterfiveo

Joined Forum: 08/29/2013

Nanny state is here
 05/01/2020 08:29 AM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

Originally posted by: garcia This is garbage. A1A is a HIGHWAY. We all built our houses next to A1A, not the other way around. Learn (and teach your children) how to cross the road safely and this wouldn't be a problem. It's like people building their house next to an airport and complaining about the sound. Just another example of "I'm here now, time to change the rules because I'm important." I learned/was taught to cross A1A safely when it was 2 lane and backed up to the Cape every afternoon (and I was only 7).
Regurgitating what you've heard stated about other topics with no applicability here. A1A was built BECAUSE there are people here. As someone that drives A1A daily the fact is - people are nothing but just a bunch of rude a$$holes these days who are in a big ass hurry to get everywhere. Its punch the gas if there's a yellow light, punch the gas if you might get stopped by a crosswalk. Ride the ass of the car in front of you that is going the speed limit or maybe even slightly over. There is no speed that is fast enough for most. Their objective while driving is to get in front of the car in front of them. Zig and zag thru the traffic because everyone but you is a bunch of idiots. This is what I see everyday as a 46 year old speed limit, paying attention, not on my phone driver. The people I described are the people you can thank for this. And you can thank their parents for raising a bunch of un-polilte, mannerless, self serving shitheads.............. I dont want to be driving 35 either, but with as bad as things have gotten, I will take it. The funny thing is, to go from Pineda to 192 on A1A and driving as I described, vs just chilling and driving the speed limit might gain you 2 minutes in time on average.
 05/01/2020 09:08 AM

dab

Originally posted by: garcia

S. A1A was designed for, and used to have, a speed limit of 65 mph. And, just wait, they will have those 4-way stops someday, just like Miami. That's what many are gunning for. (Of course, they will take their real estate/developer money and retire to Maggie Valley, as Carl Langford did after he brought The Mouse here.)

Unless they have since 2009 or will adopt another metric 4 way stops are not supported by the MUTCD along the section in question.

Chapter 2B - MUTCD 2009 Edition - FHWA

Section 2B.07 Multi-Way Stop Applications
Support:
01 Multi-way stop control can be useful as a safety measure at intersections if certain traffic conditions exist. Safety concerns associated with multi-way stops include pedestrians, bicyclists, and all road users expecting other road users to stop. Multi-way stop control is used where the volume of traffic on the intersecting roads is approximately equal.
02 The restrictions on the use of STOP signs described in Section 2B.04 also apply to multi-way stop applications.
Guidance:
03 The decision to install multi-way stop control should be based on an engineering study.
04 The following criteria should be considered in the engineering study for a multi-way STOP sign installation:
Where traffic control signals are justified, the multi-way stop is an interim measure that can be installed quickly to control traffic while arrangements are being made for the installation of the traffic control signal.
Five or more reported crashes in a 12-month period that are susceptible to correction by a multi-way stop installation. Such crashes include right-turn and left-turn collisions as well as right-angle collisions.
Minimum volumes:
The vehicular volume entering the intersection from the major street approaches (total of both approaches) averages at least 300 vehicles per hour for any 8 hours of an average day; and
The combined vehicular, pedestrian, and bicycle volume entering the intersection from the minor street approaches (total of both approaches) averages at least 200 units per hour for the same 8 hours, with an average delay to minor-street vehicular traffic of at least 30 seconds per vehicle during the highest hour; but
If the 85th-percentile approach speed of the major-street traffic exceeds 40 mph, the minimum vehicular volume warrants are 70 percent of the values provided in Items 1 and 2.
Where no single criterion is satisfied, but where Criteria B, C.1, and C.2 are all satisfied to 80 percent of the minimum values. Criterion C.3 is excluded from this condition.
Option:
05 Other criteria that may be considered in an engineering study include:
The need to control left-turn conflicts;
The need to control vehicle/pedestrian conflicts near locations that generate high pedestrian volumes;
Locations where a road user, after stopping, cannot see conflicting traffic and is not able to negotiate the intersection unless conflicting cross traffic is also required to stop; and
An intersection of two residential neighborhood collector (through) streets of similar design and operating characteristics where multi-way stop control would improve traffic operational characteristics of the intersection.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

05/01/2020 09:12 AM

dab

Section 2B.04 Right-of-Way at Intersections
Support:
01 State or local laws written in accordance with the "Uniform Vehicle Code" (see Section 1A.11) establish the right-of-way rule at intersections having no regulatory traffic control signs such that the driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection must yield the right-of-way to any vehicle or pedestrian already in the intersection. When two vehicles approach an intersection from different streets or highways at approximately the same time, the right-of-way rule requires the driver of the vehicle on the left to yield the right-of-way to the vehicle on the right. The right-of-way can be modified at through streets or highways by placing YIELD (R1-2) signs (see Sections 2B.08 and 2B.09) or STOP (R1-1) signs (see Sections 2B.05 through 2B.07) on one or more approaches.
Guidance:
02 Engineering judgment should be used to establish intersection control. The following factors should be considered:
Vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic volumes on all approaches;
Number and angle of approaches;
Approach speeds;
Sight distance available on each approach; and
Reported crash experience.
03 YIELD or STOP signs should be used at an intersection if one or more of the following conditions exist:
An intersection of a less important road with a main road where application of the normal right-of-way rule would not be expected to provide reasonable compliance with the law;
A street entering a designated through highway or street; and/or
An unsignalized intersection in a signalized area.
04 In addition, the use of YIELD or STOP signs should be considered at the intersection of two minor streets or local roads where the intersection has more than three approaches and where one or more of the following conditions exist:
The combined vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian volume entering the intersection from all approaches averages more than 2,000 units per day;
The ability to see conflicting traffic on an approach is not sufficient to allow a road user to stop or yield in compliance with the normal right-of-way rule if such stopping or yielding is necessary; and/or
Crash records indicate that five or more crashes that involve the failure to yield the right-of-way at the intersection under the normal right-of-way rule have been reported within a 3-year period, or that three or more such crashes have been reported within a 2-year period.
05 YIELD or STOP signs should not be used for speed control.
Support:
06 Section 2B.07 contains provisions regarding the application of multi-way STOP control at an intersection.
Guidance:
07 Once the decision has been made to control an intersection, the decision regarding the appropriate roadway to control should be based on engineering judgment. In most cases, the roadway carrying the lowest volume of traffic should be controlled.
08 A YIELD or STOP sign should not be installed on the higher volume roadway unless justified by an engineering study.
Support:
09 The following are considerations that might influence the decision regarding the appropriate roadway upon which to install a YIELD or STOP sign where two roadways with relatively equal volumes and/or characteristics intersect:
Controlling the direction that conflicts the most with established pedestrian crossing activity or school walking routes;
Controlling the direction that has obscured vision, dips, or bumps that already require drivers to use lower operating speeds; and
Controlling the direction that has the best sight distance from a controlled position to observe conflicting traffic.

05/01/2020 09:21 AM

dab

FDOT - Our Mission

The department will provide a safe transportation system that ensures the mobility of people and goods, enhances economic prosperity, and preserves the quality of our environment and communities.

The primary mission objective is in bold. It is not currently about moving vehicles. That appears to be the paradigm of transportation engineering firms too.

05/01/2020 11:46 AM

hurl

Joined Forum: 10/06/2012

I for one am happy about it. I live on Ellwood where the little gal got dead. Can't tell you how many times I have had drivers speed up at me when I was crossing. I too come from the era when you could put your and between the racks and board going to Sebastian cause you were flat haul'n ass. Like ol Bobby Zimmerman said "the times they are a'changin"
 05/01/2020 01:31 PM

Pagerow

Joined Forum: 12/22/2005

Sooo....

A1A is 35 MPH with four lanes from Pineda down to 5th Ave. Indialantic.

THEN south of 5th Ave, it changes to only TWO lanes, but UP to 40 MPH?

GOP:

Gaslight
Obstruct
Project
FORUMS : Surfing : Speed limit on A1A will drop from 55 to 35 this Fr...

1 2 3 4 5 6 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .