Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Speed limit on A1A will drop from 55 to 35 this Friday, May 1st
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/28/2020 04:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/01/2020 01:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I never go over 45 anyway. I'm sure many of you recall the Satty Beach cops back in the day. Those mofos still have me spooked.

Actually, now that I think about, it's nearly impossible to go over 45 considering your stupid ass red lights won't let me. I drive all over hell and back and the lights from Pineda to Boardwalk are the absolute worst. Nothing like a four minute wait at a small side street for cars that aren't there, then another four minute wait for more non cars at the next light. If you guys didn't have better waves, a soccer game i like to play and weren't the easy way to get to Inlet, I'd skip the stupid place all together.

-------------------------
I was right.
 05/01/2020 09:26 PM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Found a graphic mockup of the new A1A improvements for later this year (14 flashing crosswalks not shown) :

When America was "great"

Edited: 05/01/2020 at 09:28 PM by fishkller
 05/02/2020 11:56 AM

wavearzt

Joined Forum: 07/16/2010

Driving down A1A today, they have created a much more dangerous situation than we previously had without all the signs. With the addition of the vertical markers in the middle of the road and on the sides it has gotten ridiculous. I have seen multiple near accidents in the last 24hours. Pedestrians are also now just relying on the signs and walking out into oncoming traffic expecting the vehicles to just stop, even without activating the blinking lights. Lots of distracted drivers out there. With the addition of all these markers it will eventually produce sign fatigue causing a much more perilous situation. Common sense did not prevail on this project. It has become downright dangerous to navigate A1A.
 05/02/2020 12:00 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: wavearzt Common sense did not prevail on this project. .
Did someone expect it to? & its goin on everywhere.
 05/02/2020 12:50 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Doing 54 mph on A1A was too fast south of Hightower anyway. Now people can do 44 if they want to push it. Much better IMO.

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

05/02/2020 03:02 PM

scostuart

Joined Forum: 12/28/2007

Total Charlie Foxtrot

Waiting for waves is ok......most people spend their lives waiting for nothing.

05/03/2020 10:09 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: wavearzt

Driving down A1A today, they have created a much more dangerous situation than we previously had without all the signs. With the addition of the vertical markers in the middle of the road and on the sides it has gotten ridiculous. I have seen multiple near accidents in the last 24hours.

Pedestrians are also now just relying on the signs and walking out into oncoming traffic expecting the vehicles to just stop, even without activating the blinking lights. Lots of distracted drivers out there.

With the addition of all these markers it will eventually produce sign fatigue causing a much more perilous situation.

Common sense did not prevail on this project. It has become downright dangerous to navigate A1A.

Yea, this is nuts. There were cars almost coming to a complete stop when they were passing though the crosswalks and there was no one crossing. I drove the full distance from Melbourne to Cocoa beach and there wasn't a single crossing that didn't have damage to at least one pylon and the things hadn't even been up for 36 hours. This is not going to end well.

I was right.
 05/04/2020 06:23 AM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

Originally posted by: dab FDOT - Our Mission The department will provide a safe transportation system that ensures the mobility of people and goods, enhances economic prosperity, and preserves the quality of our environment and communities. The primary mission objective is in bold. It is not currently about moving vehicles. That appears to be the paradigm of transportation engineering firms too.
Are you affiliated with the FDOT? My hope for Desantis was that he would dismantle this failed organization from the top down. Fire every single person and start over because this is the most pathetic state agency we have and they keep moving farther and farther in the WRONG direction. It is not possible to pull a legal sized trailer between their stupid middle of the lane, erratically spaced signs. I wacked at least 60-75% of them. When I have a blowout or damage my trailer I will be documenting and sending them the bill. Horrible situation for people that drag trailers up/down A1A. Its absolutely pathetic.
 05/04/2020 06:31 AM

sfds

Joined Forum: 06/25/2007

Originally posted by: Cole I never go over 45 anyway. I'm sure many of you recall the Satty Beach cops back in the day. Those mofos still have me spooked. Actually, now that I think about, it's nearly impossible to go over 45 considering your stupid ass red lights won't let me. I drive all over hell and back and the lights from Pineda to Boardwalk are the absolute worst. Nothing like a four minute wait at a small side street for cars that aren't there, then another four minute wait for more non cars at the next light. If you guys didn't have better waves, a soccer game i like to play and weren't the easy way to get to Inlet, I'd skip the stupid place all together.
How the hell do you get paragraphs to show up on this format? Some time back, I called the chief and talked to him about how they lost the "gauntlet" status. And now not only was it speeding, but people blatantly running the crosswalks because their self serving assholes. He explained that they have less # of police than that era and, of course, there's more traffic. They had a number of long term officers with maxed out salaries just retire and they hired a more officers at lower salaries. I dont know if it was lip service, but he said expect that reputation of old you are talking about to make it back over the course of the summer. This was all pre covid so who knows, but that is what he told me.
 05/04/2020 06:42 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: sfds

Originally posted by: Cole

I never go over 45 anyway. I'm sure many of you recall the Satty Beach cops back in the day. Those mofos still have me spooked.

Actually, now that I think about, it's nearly impossible to go over 45 considering your stupid ass red lights won't let me. I drive all over hell and back and the lights from Pineda to Boardwalk are the absolute worst. Nothing like a four minute wait at a small side street for cars that aren't there, then another four minute wait for more non cars at the next light. If you guys didn't have better waves, a soccer game i like to play and weren't the easy way to get to Inlet, I'd skip the stupid place all together.

How the hell do you get paragraphs to show up on this format?

Some time back, I called the chief and talked to him about how they lost the "gauntlet" status. And now not only was it speeding, but people blatantly running the crosswalks because their self serving assholes. He explained that they have less # of police than that era and, of course, there's more traffic. They had a number of long term officers with maxed out salaries just retire and they hired a more officers at lower salaries. I dont know if it was lip service, but he said expect that reputation of old you are talking about to make it back over the course of the summer. This was all pre covid so who knows, but that is what he told me.

This forum has line break issues depending on what you are using. I have the newest version of Firefox and the breaks work for me. There used to be a thread on this issue, but I can't recall where.

The Satty cops don't have to step up enforcement because it is now impossible to go more than 35 through the bowling alley. The pylons will be smashed out of existence within two weeks and I fear what they will come up with next.

I was right.
 05/04/2020 06:55 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: Cole This forum has line break issues depending on what you are using. I have the newest version of Firefox and the breaks work for me. There used to be a thread on this issue, but I can't recall where.
Meanwhile i am on the latest version of firefox and the line breaks dont work for me. Line Break. Line Break. See
 05/04/2020 08:10 AM

bluestreak

Joined Forum: 03/30/2009

Originally posted by: sfds Regurgitating what you've heard stated about other topics with no applicability here. A1A was built BECAUSE there are people here. As someone that drives A1A daily the fact is - people are nothing but just a bunch of rude a$$holes these days who are in a big ass hurry to get everywhere. Its punch the gas if there's a yellow light, punch the gas if you might get stopped by a crosswalk. Ride the ass of the car in front of you that is going the speed limit or maybe even slightly over. There is no speed that is fast enough for most. Their objective while driving is to get in front of the car in front of them. Zig and zag thru the traffic because everyone but you is a bunch of idiots. This is what I see everyday as a 46 year old speed limit, paying attention, not on my phone driver. The people I described are the people you can thank for this. And you can thank their parents for raising a bunch of un-polilte, mannerless, self serving shitheads.............. I dont want to be driving 35 either, but with as bad as things have gotten, I will take it. The funny thing is, to go from Pineda to 192 on A1A and driving as I described, vs just chilling and driving the speed limit might gain you 2 minutes in time on average.
OMG, These are my thoughts EXACTLY, in fact I have been saying this for a couple years now. You can't even blame it on the actions of a few, it is WAY MORE than just a few. My latest peeve, that you did not mention. These f'rs try to time the pedestrians travel in the crosswalk so they never come to a complete stop, they just keep moving/turning, trying to get as close as they can to the last ped, without hitting them, as they go by. You can't wait for the ped to get to the sidewalk?
 05/04/2020 11:09 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Breaker breaker line break. Me neither. Noticed the pinball bumpers in the crosswalks are looking worse for wear after only one weekend. Followed a truck pulling a backhoe on a pretty wide trailer yesterday, he hit one at almost every crosswalk from 192 to Eau Gallie. I expect them to last about another couple of weeks at best. Um, how much did we pay for those? ack. Oh, and I do the long commute on A1A too. Thirty Five? Ya, it a deserved payback. Get used to it.

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/04/2020 11:21 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

followed a cement mixer truck who hit every marker along Indi...They can take a hit a just flip right back up (as designed)...Will they last...I think so, they will be marked up real bad but they appear to be mounted correctly to be hit...NOW why can't a normal driver just cruise through them, why do so many people slow down or crawl through? Are the drivers that bad at going straight, is everyone impaired?...I drive a full sized pickup, no problem , no need to slow down just DRIVE THROUGH no need to brake...please lay on your horns when you see this...it's dangerous to have someone slow or stop when No-one is using the X-walk
 05/04/2020 11:53 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

They really shouldn't be in the middle of the road. The one that is needs to be removed.
 05/04/2020 11:57 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

Glad to have the new speed limit and the crosswalks operational. Although the middle thing may be a bit much.. I'll take it. Hopefully we have fewer pedestrian deaths.

Too many people in too small of a space.
 05/04/2020 09:04 PM

Cole

I don't know, there is so much going on at those crosswalks people are getting confused and freaking out. Personally, I think a game of Frogger across A1A is safer.

I was right.
 05/04/2020 09:05 PM

wavearzt

Joined Forum: 07/16/2010

We are going to end up with more accidents and more than likely increased auto vs pedestrian events with the crosswalks as they are currently setup. There continues to be a ton of people who don't activate the blinking lights but walk right out into oncoming traffic expecting the cars to just stop. Then, as others have mentioned, many cars are stopping at each one regardless of whether there are people crossing or not. This will end up in multiple rear end collisions. I am all for safety and as a parent with a few kids it was much safer just teaching them to cross A1A when there was no cars coming from either direction which is what I will continue to tell them. Many drivers on their phones who won't be paying attention to just wander out in front of, blinking lights or not. Epic fail by our elected officials.
 05/05/2020 03:53 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

"I am all for safety and as a parent with a few kids it was much safer just teaching them to cross A1A when there was no cars coming from either direction which is what I will continue to tell them." Absolutely! I am soooo glad to read someone with common sense.
 05/05/2020 01:37 PM

WG

Joined Forum: 03/10/2005

That too.

"The truth is incontrovertible.
malice may attack it,
ignorance may deride it,
but in the end,
there it is." -Sir Winston Churchill
FORUMS : Surfing : Speed limit on A1A will drop from 55 to 35 this Fr...

<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .