Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Surfer killed in shark attack in Northern California
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/10/2020 06:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/10/2020 06:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Surfer killed in shark attack in Northern California
Associated Press
May 9, 2020, 8:03 PM EDT

APTOS, Calif. (AP) - A surfer was killed in a shark attack off a Northern California beach, state park officials said Saturday.

The 26-year-old man was surfing off Manresa State Beach on the northern end of Monterey Bay around 1:30 p.m. when he was attacked by an unknown shark species, the California State Parks said in a statement.

The victim's name has not been released. Santa Cruz Sheriff's deputies notified the man's family.

The water one mile north and south of the attack will be closed for five days. Signs were posted warning beachgoers about the attack. The sign said the attack happened within 100 yards off shore.

"State Parks expresses its deepest sympathy to the family of the victim," the statement said.

The amount of surfing and swimming has been steady while local officials close the beach every day between 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. to deter a surge of visitors to the coastline during the coronavirus crisis.

Monterey Bay drone photographer Eric Mailander told KRON-TV has been observing dozens of great white sharks swimming near the shoreline in recent days. He said he counted 15 sharks while out on his boat Saturday morning.

None were showing signs of aggressive predatory behavior, Mailander told the TV station.

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 05/10/2020 06:38 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

"unknown shark species"

My guess is a Great White.
 05/10/2020 06:44 AM

Central Floridave

Surfer Id'd as Ben Kelly. Looks like he was a shaper. R.I.P.

https://www.facebook.com/benkellysurf/
 05/10/2020 07:26 AM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

california can keep their better waves for all i care. can you even begin to imagine how absolutely terrifying it would be to see one of those swimming under you or near you.

sneedeker

05/10/2020 07:57 AM

Cole

Originally posted by: harrietdubman

california can keep their better waves for all i care. can you even begin to imagine how absolutely terrifying it would be to see one of those swimming under you or near you.

I'm pretty sure I've seen them here. That, and we have every other chompy shark that swims; Bulls, Tigers, Hammerheads, Spinners, Black Tips, Lemons, Blacknose, as well as the monster Sand Tigers and Duskies, but they are nice, apparently. I swear I saw a Mako at 2nd Light years ago - shiny, gunmetal grey, but they are supposed to live offshore, so it might have been a small Dusky.

RIP to the poor attack victim. He was way too young.

I was right.
 05/10/2020 08:37 AM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

Originally posted by: Cole
Originally posted by: harrietdubman california can keep their better waves for all i care. can you even begin to imagine how absolutely terrifying it would be to see one of those swimming under you or near you.
I'm pretty sure I've seen them here. That, and we have every other chompy shark that swims; Bulls, Tigers, Hammerheads, Spinners, Black Tips, Lemons, Blacknose, as well as the monster Sand Tigers and Duskies, but they are nice, apparently. I swear I saw a Mako at 2nd Light years ago - shiny, gunmetal grey, but they are supposed to live offshore, so it might have been a small Dusky. RIP to the poor attack victim. He was way too young.
at least the waters not clear enough to spot them so easily lol. a few years back i was at o club on a peak to myself and whaddya know something breaks the surface right at my foot while paddling back out and grazes it, i swear i felt sandpaper against my skin... i let out a good "HOLY SH1T" and the rest of the lineup looks at me, a couple people paddle in, one dude gets to shore and points me towards the rest of the pack lol. i paddle towards the rest of the ppl hyperventilating, calm back down, catch some more waves...i bumped my knee into something solid when riding on my stomach back into shore at nsb once too...thousands of hours of water time but luckily nothing serious yet, thank goodness... i was also out all alone once at 2nd light at dawn with lots of bait popping and a freakin enormous tarpon jumps straight out of the water vertically like 6 feet away from me and after my heart sank and i realized it was a tarpon it was actually pretty amazing to see.

sneedeker

Edited: 05/10/2020 at 08:42 AM by harrietdubman
 05/10/2020 09:29 AM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

It's always been my belief that there are lots big fish swimming under us, during all conditions. It's just that this coast provides them plenty of food, and our behavior and movement when surfing does not resemble that of the prey they're conditioned to go after.

But there's still going to be the occasional mistake, whether caused by murky water, chummed, being around large schools and baitballs, mullet run, etc. I think you owe it to yourself to move away from those environments when you notice it.
 05/10/2020 10:53 AM

fishkller

Joined Forum: 11/13/2016

Originally posted by: harrietdubman

You don't need to imagine- watch this video.. that's at Old Man's / San Onofre- tons of people surf there.. you can see the nuke plant on the shoreline.

I would sh!t a brick..

05/10/2020 11:17 AM

tom

Joined Forum: 07/25/2003

Seeing those giant tarpon feeding is awesome, but I always wonder, what's eating the tarpon...

add a signature since I'm here in profile anyway
 05/10/2020 11:29 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Locals don't consider that NorCal. 500+ miles from Manresa to the Oregon border, but whatever. I've surfed that spot, and I've sat one out there. Spidey sense shark radar beeping off the charts. Condolences to his family and friends.
 05/10/2020 01:10 PM

Cole

We are some of the few people in the world that actually have to worry about the food chain. There is nothing quite like seeing a big fat cruiser when you are sitting alone 100 yards out.

I was right.
 05/11/2020 04:48 AM

equipeola

Joined Forum: 12/17/2009

Sincere condolences to young Ben Kelly's Family~~~ Ya- that zone of danger is really bad from Carmel to the Oregon line but surprisingly,, pretty minor reporting of sightings around SC proper. Thank gosh. -Manresa- damn, the sand from there all that way to Monterrey always gave me the creeps. I don't remember who suggested it or why we chose to hit it there but once, we (the 3 of us) walked down to a little peak breaking S of Moss, N of the language school by this abandoned factory that turned out to be about 8'. As we walked onto the beach all of a sudden like 3 or more big ass GW's busted into some kinda bait 20 yrds out in the whitewater right inside this great looking peak. That was that. This was Fall'72. Then, again, 'twice', like the dumbest ass on the planet, I'm out "solo" at Scott Creek, 6', N along the ledge and get the creeps, big ass swirl right next to my left thigh sit'n 'tween sets, glance down and see the f---'n gills and musta been another 12' of monster (missed ME -u--er!) Then AF---'NGAIN!, the next weekend, solo astupidgain, Waddell Creek, 3', big 'ol dorsal comes jammin right towards me (I knows he's com'in at me cuz I'm the Only stupid human there) from like 50-70yrds away, I just knew I was gonna get eat'n and started scratch'n across thankfully the super shallow kelpy slabbyness on the inside out there (guys familiar know what it is) and just sat there shak'n for it seems now 20 mins. I swear, just rethink'n these moments long ago has my chest tight short'o breath! hahAAhhA!! F---! I get it about the bad boys 'round here like, BULL's and TIGERS. They scare the shit outta me too but, I don't seem to worry much at all about all the Blacktips and Spinners for whatever reason. I apologize greatly for highjack'n the thread on my deal y'all- again to Ben's people, Very sorry for your loss of what we know now was, A Good Man. RIP

ola ~

Edited: 05/11/2020 at 04:50 AM by equipeola
 05/11/2020 06:49 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

RIP.

On another note, at least the juveniles only eat fish (like the one in the video above).
 05/14/2020 10:40 AM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

RIP Ben Kelly. Can't help but respond to equipeola post. I've surfed from Moss to Ocean Beach since I was a kid (during occasional visits) and the "Spidey Sense" CurtisEflush mentioned has gone off the charts from time to time. Party due to the setting/scenery and party due to just knowing what's out there. Surfed Waddell alone and it was spooky. One time I suited up walked right up to the waters edge at "Ross's Cove" and just couldn't make myself paddle out, foggy, with fog horn in the back ground, my buddy Mark (Stormsurf) paddled out and came in within 20 minutes due to the "vibe". Also surfed around Jalama/T's/Surf beach near Lompoc, there is a "vibe" there as well. I was talking to a guy that surfs the Lompoc area now and he said he uses one of those anti-shark devices. He said it seems like there are more of them around recently. I pretty sure Surf Beach(Vandenburg AFB) had fatalities in 2010 and 2012.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80ec3ce573ed3d19%3A0xd7ea9c09f025e90f!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNp-KoUjzyi6wgkBZKpz5li6ArWNyI9Dl4VB14y%3Dw298-h200-k-no!5svandenberg%20afb%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipM15fA5hBJ4Ugxsi84S2z1XZu6jJ8V0AZmYOf04&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju9_S69LPpAhVFiOAKHbuoBg4QoiowFnoECBcQBg

Edited: 05/14/2020 at 11:05 AM by grdsurf
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .