Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Amelia, Hilton Head or Tybee Island?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/10/2020 05:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/10/2020 05:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

paddleout

Joined Forum: 07/31/2003

This summer, the family and I are heading up to Boone, NC for a bit. Have a house rented there.

This time we want to break the drive up and stay a night or two somewhere we haven't been- and stay somewhere fancy/posh.

I am looking at the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island- seems OK, but Amelia isn't even out of Florida- it's right at the state line with Georgia, so I'm thinking perhaps we should try somewhere a little further north to break up the drive to Boone better.

Wondering if anyone's been to Hilton Head or Tybee, or even Amelia and if you can give me any advice on this.. what are the best places to stay, is it nice or meh? etc

or perhaps a place I haven't thought of between here and Boone.

Thanks for any help!

Edited: 06/10/2020 at 05:41 PM by paddleout
 06/10/2020 05:46 PM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Hilton Head is owned by Disney and they do it right.

Warning: staying there is not surf related!

-------------------------
Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

Edited: 06/10/2020 at 05:49 PM by daner
 06/10/2020 06:09 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: daner Disney and they do it right.
amelia & fukk the mouse
 06/10/2020 06:47 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

It's not on the same route, but only adds 3 hours to your total road time between Melbourne and Boone if you go west a bit. Tallulah Falls / Gorge in north GA is worth a visit.
 06/11/2020 02:49 AM

harrietdubman

Joined Forum: 11/07/2015

Originally posted by: daner Hilton Head is owned by Disney and they do it right. Warning: staying there is not surf related! [IMG][/IMG]
this is wrong on both points. disney does not own hilton head, however they do have a resort located mid island. im from hilton head, i can outsurf 8/10 people in any florida lineup. the surf can actually get really good there but its only surfable around 2 hours before and after high tide (5-9 foot tide swings) unless its absolutely pumping. theres only 2 real spots, 1 real spot if you ask me. if you want to know more, pm me. hilton head is a wonderful town, has amazing food, and actually has zoning laws unlike florida. the tallest building is shorter than the tallest tree, no neon lights, no billboards, no unnatural painting, no overpasses...

sneedeker

Edited: 06/11/2020 at 02:53 AM by harrietdubman
 06/11/2020 04:10 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

^^^^ "i can outsurf 8/10 people in any florida lineup"... BOLD statement...I guess you are Byron...if so carry on..lol
 06/11/2020 05:08 AM

harrietdubman

Originally posted by: SurferMic ^^^^ "i can outsurf 8/10 people in any florida lineup"... BOLD statement...I guess you are Byron...if so carry on..lol
lol, thats the thing about us. we're too busy catching waves while the spoiled "flo grown" (bro) surfers are complaining about the conditions, standing on the boardwalk, or wasting time driving from spot to spot even when it's "good." never have i seen someone wearing a gucci t shirt in the lineup till i moved to florida...

sneedeker

Edited: 06/11/2020 at 05:17 AM by harrietdubman
 06/11/2020 05:17 AM

Central Floridave

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I've been to Hilton head and parent-n-laws live right next to Amelia Ritz. Amelia Island seems more like the Georgia savannahs, more than it does Florida. Little and Big Talbot islands are nature's paradise. Surf can be good. Hilton head to me was basically just a richy tourist trap. If you like golf and expensive stuff then go there. I think they have 30+ golf resorts on the island. I've played a couple of them. It is very pretty, but $$$$$. Amelia on the other hand is much cheaper. Ritz of course is $$$$$, the beach is real nice out front. Not a whole lot of stuff to do party-wise, unless you take a quick trip to Jax. Fernandina is an interesting look-see spot. But, it is very laid back former fishing/paper-mill town. Ft. Clinch is a MUST see. Good bike trails in Ft Clinch. The fort is really cool.

06/11/2020 06:49 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I have to Tallulah Gorge and to Fernandina Beach. Tallulah has a great sliding rock (the best I've ever been on in the Southeast, waaaaaay better than North Carolina's) but, it is a big hike down and an even bigger hike out. Do NOT go via the stairway. It is hard to get from their to the sliding rock and you WILL get poison ivy. Hike down the path. Fortunately, when you make it to the top (hot, sweaty and thighs burning) you can go right across the damn (which is US 441) and swim in the lake afterwards. You will need it. It is pretty steep, but, well worth it if you are somewhat in shape. Fernandina is way cool. Lots of cool little bars that you can walk to all night long, many, many Victorians converted to B&B's, good (and reasonable) seafood, etc. I love Fernandina and, as Dave says, Ft. Clinch is really cool. It's right on the St. Mary's River and if you are really lucky, you may see a Trident heading in or out. If so, that is worth a ton. They don't announce them, but, if you are at Ft. Clinch and you see a crowd on the beach, it is the crew's families. They know when to be there. The other places mentioned are not my style. Too many golfers and people putting on airs. Too much money on exhibit and too much money reqd. Amelia Island is "the real Florida" for people from Ohio.
 06/11/2020 06:50 AM

daner

Joined Forum: 04/20/2004

Originally posted by: harrietdubman

Originally posted by: daner

Hilton Head is owned by Disney and they do it right.

Warning: staying there is not surf related! [IMG][/IMG]

this is wrong on both points. disney does not own hilton head, however they do have a resort located mid island. im from hilton head, i can outsurf 8/10 people in any florida lineup. the surf can actually get really good there but its only surfable around 2 hours before and after high tide (5-9 foot tide swings) unless its absolutely pumping. theres only 2 real spots, 1 real spot if you ask me. if you want to know more, pm me. hilton head is a wonderful town, has amazing food, and actually has zoning laws unlike florida. the tallest building is shorter than the tallest tree, no neon lights, no billboards, no unnatural painting, no overpasses...

Yep my mistake about Disney owning HH the main one is Mariott. doh!

Replace turf grass with native plants that don't need irrigation and synthetic fertilizers or chemicals that can go into our waterways and ocean

06/11/2020 06:52 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

If you decide on Fernandina, make reservations. The first time we went, we did not and ended up having to stay in Amelia. As I said, not a place for long time Floridians (as I know you are; I knew your brother at Sea Park).
 06/11/2020 06:59 AM

harrietdubman

also tybee is the redneck riviera but it is a fun beach town and savannah is a 15 20 min drive. there's still some amazing tucked away, untouched by time places left in the lowcountry/coastal empire. some of the only areas on the east coast usa where you can still feel like youre surfing in a jungle. probably for another trip though.

sneedeker

Edited: 06/11/2020 at 07:01 AM by harrietdubman
 06/11/2020 08:08 AM

SurferSince1965

Joined Forum: 05/29/2015

Amelia Island is beautiful, not a tourist attraction and quiet in the summer, plus a great beach.

JMA

06/11/2020 09:03 AM

KP

Joined Forum: 07/28/2006

As Dave mentioned the Talbot Islands are beautiful!!

Never stayed at Amelia island only been thru it for shorebird research. It should meet the "Po$h" requirements. :-)

If you are looking for a cultural aspect to get the kids some history points and broaden horizons you can visit some Timucuan sites, American Beach or some Gullah sites on Hilton Head island.

Time and tide wait for no one.....

Edited: 06/11/2020 at 09:09 AM by KP
 06/11/2020 09:19 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

^^^To harrietdubman^^^^.....lol, I thought you were one of 2 Hilton Head locals who regularly park in front of my house here in Florida to surf... Anyways....I would choose Hilton Head and contact NativeSonAdventures and Off The Hook Fishing Charters, the Low Country inlets and cuts, rivers, etc. are really nice in that area and the two contacts above are the best guides in the area, both would be great family adventures. All the SE Coast beaches are basically the same THE REAL BEAUTY IS IN THE MARSH AND RIVERS of the Low Country..

Edited: 06/11/2020 at 12:14 PM by SurferMic
 06/11/2020 11:43 AM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Savannah and Charleston sick as well.
 06/11/2020 12:18 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: harrietdubman

Originally posted by: SurferMic

^^^^ "i can outsurf 8/10 people in any florida lineup"... BOLD statement...I guess you are Byron...if so carry on..lol

lol, thats the thing about us. we're too busy catching waves while the spoiled "flo grown" (bro) surfers are complaining about the conditions, standing on the boardwalk, or wasting time driving from spot to spot even when it's "good." never have i seen someone wearing a gucci t shirt in the lineup till i moved to florida...

Wait, lol. Are you Byron?
 06/11/2020 12:21 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: SurferMic
I would choose Hilton Head and contact NativeSonAdventures

This. Byron is a cool cat. Surfed with him for a couple of weeks in Santa Teresa

06/11/2020 12:45 PM

harrietdubman

im not but i know who youre talking about ^ .

sneedeker

06/11/2020 01:25 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

If you go to Amalia Island check out the Omni Resort , still very fancy and much cheaper than Ritz . We go there and Hilton Head ,both are nice , but Omni is more fun . If you go to Amalia , take the 105 off of I295 . The 105 wraps around the St Johns and takes you over some scenic spots . Stop by the Fort George Surf shop , the owner is an older cat. he is from the lost days of surfing and knows everbody from back in the day .
FORUMS : Surfing : Amelia, Hilton Head or Tybee Island?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .