Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How soon back to surfing after skin doc
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/09/2020 09:59 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/09/2020 09:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

So I go to the skin doc tomorrow to have some flesh cut off. I'm new to this and last month was the first time they removed a mole on my back to biopsy it. Came back questionable so they are going back in tomorrow and cut a little wider around the border of where they cut last month to make sure they got it all.

Nurse told me there would be a 2"-3" incision stitched up when they are done and said I should take it easy for 2 weeks so as not to rip out the stitches. (Plus they recommend no water time to avoid infection). Welllll, it's going to be hard to stay outta the water with the forecast coming early next week, so my question for others that have been through this is...how likely is it that I rip out the stitches if I go back in the water after a few days? Incision will be just inside my shoulder blade on my back.
 09/09/2020 10:12 AM

mp2115

Joined Forum: 05/29/2009

Its halftime for the hurricane season. Rest up and be ready for the 2nd half kickoff.
 09/09/2020 10:17 AM

johnnyboy

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Do not attempt to waterproof stitches. Take a breather while those do their job.

-------------------------

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/09/2020 10:18 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Not worth risking anything. "Ripping" stitches is one thing BUT, , , , the wound will generally be pretty deep and the risk of infection is just too much for our local water quality. I have over 12 inches of skin cancer stitching scars on me.

This one alone was 5+ inches, , , , Melanoma, June, 2010!!!

Dora Hates You

Edited: 09/09/2020 at 10:19 AM by dingpatch
 09/09/2020 10:28 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

happened to me a few yrs ago. Missed a week long hurricane swell. found out later, the biopsy was benign.

you get a staff infection, you are fuct! stay dry til then. sorry
 09/09/2020 11:31 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

I've had plenty of basal cells removed. They dig DEEP to get it all out. I've torn a few stitches from reaching for things around the house and it's not fun. I'd never paddle out with an open wound in the ocean anymore and that infection would hurt like hell. Also Pro Tip keep the stitches loaded up with Aquaphor once you get the compression bandage off. I swear that stuff works miracles in the healing process and cuts down on the scarring.

Edited: 09/09/2020 at 11:33 AM by TATTOO74
 09/09/2020 11:34 AM

dingpatch

Yes, Stay Away from Staph! My first "go" was a "spot" on my back below my left shoulder blade. I was erroneously not worried about it, , , , , Until!

In 2006 we flew to Hawaii for 2 1/2 weeks. Stayed on Kauai in Princeville for 6 nights. Surfed Hanalei a couple days. Anyway, after about 3 days I wake up and my upper left back is "stuck" to the sheet!!! The septic from the Hanalei River had set the "spot" off Big Time! Got home and went straight to the Dermatologist. Yep, Squamous. Big "cut out" and 4 inches of stitches! AND THEN, , , , it caught a "touch" of Staph!!

Dora Hates You
 09/09/2020 12:47 PM

johnnyboy

Staph? Bad. MRSA way worse.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

09/09/2020 02:03 PM

dingpatch

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Dora Hates You
 09/09/2020 02:24 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

6 so far cut outta me, Squamous and Basal. One was right under my nose. Fkkk, did that needle hurt. It sounds like they are going to do a MOHS procedure where they cut a small border around the offending object and check the edges to ensure they have gotten it all. If a cell looks wonky, they cut a little more.......anyways I always gave it the full 10 days to cure......You could paddle with one arm.....or, just stay outta the water

PS, do not google it......damn pics are fuked

Edited: 09/09/2020 at 03:16 PM by RocketSurf
 09/09/2020 05:02 PM

Flow

Joined Forum: 11/18/2016

I'm get my eleventh skin cancer procedure next Tuesday. It is the cost most of us eventually need to pay. For me the antibiotics they give you after the procedure are the worst thing. If you are fidgety and aggressive on the board take a week or two off. Keep the wound clean. Obviously a long board is better than a short board.

Josh Rubin
 09/09/2020 06:19 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

The back has the thickest Dermis layer of them all, so if they put nylon sutures in there , you have a chance they will hold. Under no circumstances would I go in the water until the wound has sealed , about 2 weeks. after that , you have to make some choices . It would have to be an epic swell 2 weeks down the line to be willing to risk a nasty infection and even more money and time lost om this wound .
 09/09/2020 08:34 PM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Don't forget, you can also get vibrio fulnificus in the ocean. Nasty stuff. Typically enters through an open wound.

Two more basal cell removals in my logbook last month... All healed from those, but other more recent incisions will keep me out of the water during this swell.
 09/10/2020 05:06 AM

dropsolo

Along with the great advice given in the threads above this.

Ultimately that is a great question for your doctor.

I type on fone 99% of time. Let the typos slyde. Thanks
 09/10/2020 05:23 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

growing up we thought the salt water cleaned all the road rashes we got from Street skating, burned real good but we "thought" it was deep cleaning, surprised my arms and legs did not fall off...wouldn't do that now

Edited: 09/10/2020 at 06:35 AM by SurferMic
 09/10/2020 05:32 AM

sw

Joined Forum: 10/13/2005

Thanks for all the input everyone.

It's funny because ever since I was a kid all these years I've always thought of the ocean as therapeutic to cuts and scrapes. I can't count the number of times I've gotten lacerations or puncture wounds from stepping on a broken shell or bottle in the shorepound or some sharp piece of metal on the crossover. Always right back out in the water to "clean everything out". In all these years I've never had a problem...always felt like it truly helped things, in fact. Only thing that seems kinda funky is when I get reef rash from scrapes on the coquina...those always seems to get irritated and take longer to heal but I always just thought that was some organism in the reef rock.

Has the ocean really gotten worse in the past 30 years? Has anyone here actually gotten an infection in an open cut from the ocean? (knowing for certain it wasn't from another source like pool or river?)
 09/10/2020 05:33 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Preventive antibiotic and a tegaderm properly applied would keep you safe and the wound dry. However, yeah consult your doctor and only if the waves are worth it to you.
 09/10/2020 06:00 AM

ofdphildo

Joined Forum: 09/17/2005

Seems like some pretty prudent advice from guys with first hand experience. I think I would heed their words and let things heal. Risk it and you may be out three times as long!

Edited: 09/10/2020 at 06:01 AM by ofdphildo
 09/10/2020 06:14 AM

Central Floridave

What a perfect forum for skin cancer experiences! Back in the 70s/80s/90s, I never wore sunscreen or cared. All day surf and surf fishing. Paying for it now!

i've had basil and squamous cell cut out, multiple times. Agreed, keep it dry. Another tip, don't let any sun exposure on the scar while it is healing.
It can make it discolor forever.

But, the good newz iz, Chix luvs scars!

09/10/2020 06:37 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: RocketSurf

6 so far cut outta me, Squamous and Basal. One was right under my nose. Fkkk, did that needle hurt. It sounds like they are going to do a MOHS procedure where they cut a small border around the offending object and check the edges to ensure they have gotten it all. If a cell looks wonky, they cut a little more.......anyways I always gave it the full 10 days to cure......You could paddle with one arm.....or, just stay outta the water

PS, do not google it......damn pics are fuked

I had MOHS on my lower lip for Squamous cell. Literally the most painful life experience to date. Dr. says it usually takes two to three layers to get it all out. Mine took FIVE layers and ended up removing a third of my lower lip, you could fit more than the tip of your pinky finger in the hole. Worst part is the wait time in between each cut is an hour wait to determine if they got it all. They cauterize after each slice as well.. Then buy time they come back the lidocaine has worn off and it's like starting over again each time. Needles directly in the lip is no fun. Thank GOD I took care of it and followed all directions from the Dr. for healing and you wouldn't even know I had it done now. I do not have any pics as they were extremely nasty and I didn't want to see them again. Google MOHS surgery lip and get ready to see some F'd up sh*t. My surf sessions are more like 20 minute heats these days and get out of the sun. Wear your sunblock people!

Edited: 09/10/2020 at 06:40 AM by TATTOO74
FORUMS : Surfing : How soon back to surfing after skin doc

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .