Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Jelly Fish
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/10/2020 07:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/10/2020 07:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ReedBeach

Joined Forum: 09/28/2007

Got hit by a nasty jelly fish earlier this week around Patrick. Anyone else?
 09/10/2020 07:25 PM

palmtreeg

Joined Forum: 04/27/2010

http://www.brevardtimes.com/20...-florida-beaches/amp/

My 2 sons got wailed pretty good...not sure if they were these box jellies? I hit my toe on one and felt like I stuck it in an electric socket, definitely some potent plasma out there...considering putting on the fullsuit if these bastards linger

The bait pods and sharks are kinda thick as well, ''tis the season

-------------------------
Brevard Surf Report
 09/11/2020 06:08 AM

seaspray

Joined Forum: 05/10/2012

I got tagged in my arms and legs yesterday AM at PAFB. Felt a little stronger than the typically jelly. I used to bring a bottle of vinegar in my car during these times, may have to start doing that again
 09/11/2020 06:36 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I just started keeping a bottom of ammonia in mine. My son got hit twice and said it's the real deal.

Killer jellies on the eve of a swell. Florida rulz!

I was right.
 09/11/2020 06:51 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Way, way, back-in-the day, the lifeguards kept ammonia and/or meat tenderizer at their station. That, and lengths of rope to tie the "victims" up to keep from scratching the flesh off of their bodies!! Imagine a "don't know a thing" swimmer swimming up to a "very pretty" full size PMOW!?

Dora Hates You
 09/11/2020 06:51 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: palmtreeg .not sure if they were these box jellies? I hit my toe on one and felt like I stuck it in an electric socket,
man, about ten years ago, this happened to me on my inner thigh...... like a full tazer blast. Leg was in between terrible pain and paralysis.... and I get man-o-war stings bad, but this was next level. Not sure if I'm allergic, but I usually get it worse than any of my friends..... If theres a jellyfish or sealice within a mile, I'm pretty much the canary in a coal mine.

Edited: 09/11/2020 at 06:51 AM by Plan B
 09/11/2020 06:56 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

I had a buddy that was duckdiving thru a wave and a Man 'O War slipped between him and his board and went down the front of his baggies......We all thought he was getting nailed by a shark because of all the screaming.....

I had a few tentacle wrapped around a watch band once.....painful enough.
 09/11/2020 07:27 AM

dingpatch

Way back when, before "duck dives", I was out at Gulf Station and was pushing through the soup in the mid-break. Yep, sure enough, a "little" racquet ball sized PMOW went down the front of my farmer john. Absolutely tore up my chest and such. BUT, the very best part of it all was the fooking thing went all the way down and wrapped all around my goodies! Mother Fucker (and, stings don't normally do much to me, 15 minutes after a wasp sting I can't even tell where it hit me)! I was damn near out-of-my-mind but, luckily for me, when I got out of the water two of our "beach" girls were there and helped me get my wetsuit off and got my balls "untangled"!!!

Dora Hates You
 09/11/2020 09:30 AM

CurtisEflush

Joined Forum: 09/28/2012

Originally posted by: RocketSurf

I had a buddy that was duckdiving thru a wave and a Man 'O War slipped between him and his board and went down the front of his baggies......We all thought he was getting nailed by a shark because of all the screaming.....

Way back when Sports Illustrated did their first big article about Kelly Slater, some people were making fun of him because you could see an underwear waistband under his trunks in one of the photos.

Their typical comment: "What kind of surfer wears underwear under surf trunks?"
My answer: One who surfs in Florida. For exactly the reason above!!!
(Answer #2 is anyone who has lost a pair of trunks duckdiving Playa Hermosa.)

I accidentally picked up a pmow by the ankle at NSI just walking back up the beach in 6" of water. Had welts and peeling for a month.
 09/11/2020 09:45 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

I read somewhere that vinegar actually makes PMOW stings worse due to extra toxin release it causes and that warm salt water was actually better for the sting. Been tagged a couple of times myself by them and just kept surfing, nasty welts and all. Honestly that year with all the mauve stingers bothers me way way more, but that was probably due to quantity more than anything else. Boxes, no thanks. No desire to ever feel that, even the weaker ones the pop up here time to time.
 09/11/2020 09:46 AM

garcia

Joined Forum: 03/12/2007

I used to carry ammonia, too (windex) for stings. Now, I read to use vinegar. That seems backwards since ammonia is a base (which neutralizes acids) and vinegar is an acid (which neutralizes bases). I still use ammonia, though. In the early '70s, I was surfing O-Club and got a man-of-war. My girlfriend lived in North Wherry, so, I ran over there and her mom said, "I don't have any windex, but, I have some clorox". Being a dumb 16 year old , I let her pour that stuff all over me. BIGGGGGGG MISTAKE!!!! She burned the heck out of me, far worse than the man-of-war. (She must have either hated me or been a really stupid mother.) Live and learn.
 09/11/2020 10:42 AM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Rubbing Alcohol
 09/11/2020 10:54 AM

ReedBeach

Joined Forum: 09/28/2007

My sting was a little red the first day, then 24 hours - it turned into this.. .and itched. Text[IMG][/IMG]

Edited: 09/11/2020 at 11:01 AM by ReedBeach
 09/11/2020 12:48 PM

dingpatch

Reed,

Bad link

Dora Hates You
 09/11/2020 03:08 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

My father was in the navy and stationed at Pearl in the early 50's , at one point during his tour they were out patrolling somewhere ( I think it may have been the Philippines? ) and he fell overboard -------- into a virtual sea of Giant Man O ' Wars , their sails can get as big as a foot long and 1/2 a foot across , but the tentacles can grow an ASTOUNDING 165 feet ( Google it ) so the more he flailed , the more he was covered in tentacles . Some how they rescued his ass and got him aboard . His eyes , mouth and nose swelled shut , they managed to get a tube up his nose to give him oxygen ,but he wound up in a coma for 2 weeks and was in the Infirmary for another 3 months !

Edited: 09/11/2020 at 04:11 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 09/11/2020 03:34 PM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Double up, Plan B's Rubbing Alcohol and 1/2water 1/2 viniger...and if that does not work...you really don't want to know the final alternative.
 09/12/2020 07:20 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

"My father was in the navy and stationed at Pearl in the early 50's , at one point during his tour they were out patrolling somewhere ( I think it may have been the Philippines? ) and he fell overboard -------- into a virtual sea of Giant Man O ' Wars , their sails can get as big as a foot long and 1/2 a foot across , but the tentacles can grow an ASTOUNDING 165 feet ( Google it ) so the more he flailed , the more he was covered in tentacles . Some how they rescued his ass and got him aboard . His eyes , mouth and nose swelled shut , they managed to get a tube up his nose to give him oxygen ,but he wound up in a coma for 2 weeks and was in the Infirmary for another 3 months !"

Man, my Navy shower story pales in comparison to that........Well, I mean......
ummmm, never mind.

Edited: 09/12/2020 at 07:20 AM by RocketSurf
 09/13/2020 02:14 PM

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

Was that some sort of Homosexual reference ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KlJ2Uyu4U0
 09/13/2020 02:35 PM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Ammonia removes the sting instantly, but avoid using it on MOW, it's akin to putting ammonia on a burn. That's bad.

I was right.
FORUMS : Surfing : Jelly Fish

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .