Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Ready for a Hawaiian vacation? Surf's up, but so are lots of COVID-19-related hassles
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/10/2020 02:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/10/2020 02:29 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rea...fs-lots-120029532.html

USA TODAY
Ready for a Hawaiian vacation? Surf's up, but so are lots of COVID-19-related hassles
Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY
Sat, October 10, 2020, 8:00 AM EDT

Hawaii is going to start providing an alternative to its mandatory quarantine rule next week, but don't pack your swimsuit without knowing the details.

Visiting the islands still won't be as carefree as it has been in the past, and there are still elements in the plan to be worked out.

Starting Thursday, the state begins allowing tourists to forego a 14-day quarantine if they get negative results to a COVID-19 test at least 72 hours before their departure from the mainland. The Safe Travels program was supposed to begin Sept. 1 but was postponed due to a coronavirus spike in the state.

Does Hawaii actually want tourists?

"I want people to come if they are fully prepared to test, know that they are healthy and are prepared to wear a mask," Lt. Gov. Josh Green, who has taken a leading role in developing the program, told USA TODAY. "If they do all those things, we are excited to resume our relationship with old friends."

But he added, "We are very mindful of risk, and we're just trying to begin the process of a healthy restoration of our economy. We are not pushing for any large numbers. We just want to begin to kind of shake off the rust."

You'll need to be tested to skip quarantine

All visitors ages five and up must be tested in order to participate in the program. And the tests must be conducted by through certain health care companies, including those who have linked up with airlines.

Travelers should check with their authorized tester to make that there are no age limits if they intend to bring children. Some won't test children age 12 or younger, Green said.

Hawaiian Airlines' at-home COVID-19 test kits can be used for people of any age. Vault Health, a telemedicine provider, says children can take its saliva-based test. Large airlines serving Hawaii have made arrangements to let customers take part in the test program at airports, clinics or at home depending on the carrier.

Some promise results faster than others. United Airlines will have a $250 rapid test available at San Francisco International Airport, in which results are delivered in minutes, not days, are available.

Besides the airlines and some health care providers, approved tests for Hawaii can also be had at drug store giants CVS and Walgreens, Green said.

You'll have to endure a long flight in a mask

With Hawaii about 2,500 miles from the mainland, airline passengers will have to decide whether they are willing to risk going through the whole travel process - the ride to the airport, the wait to get on the plane and the trip itself - without contracting the virus that they've already had to prove they don't have.

They will also have to be willing to sit on a plane for five hours while wearing a mask. Parents of young kids could face the daunting challenge of trying to keep a mask on a fidgety toddler. Most airlines that fly to Hawaii, including United, Hawaiian, Alaska and Southwest, require them for any child over 2.

"We're fortunate and appreciate that our guests understand their role to keep all of us safe by wearing a face mask or covering when traveling, including young children," said Hawaiian Airlines spokeswoman Tara Shimooka.

Some islands may not allow the pre-test

Among the uncertainties is whether individual islands will participate the testing program that allows visitors to skip a quarantine.

Hawaii Gov. David Ige said at a news conference last week that he continues to talk with the mayor of the big island of Hawaii, who has indicated he wants to opt out of the test program and continue requiring visitors to quarantine for 14 days.

On Monday, Ige denied a request from the island of Kauai that would have established its own post-arrival testing program.

"A single pre-arrival testing program alone does not provide the needed level of protection for our Kauai community," said Kauai Mayor Derek Kawakami in a statement. He said the island secured 15,000 rapid tests and will develop a plan to mitigate the virus' spread.

Green said that as of Friday, all the mayors are on board with the pre-test program for mainland visitors. However, anyone traveling between islands, whether residents or visitors, is still required to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

A surfer walks on a sparsely populated Waikiki Beach in Honolulu. Hawaii's governor says that starting Oct. 15, travelers arriving from out of state may bypass a 14-day quarantine requirement if they test negative for COVID-19.
A surfer walks on a sparsely populated Waikiki Beach in Honolulu. Hawaii's governor says that starting Oct. 15, travelers arriving from out of state may bypass a 14-day quarantine requirement if they test negative for COVID-19.
You may be asked to retest in Hawaii

The state says it may ask about 10% of travelers, including children, to take a second COVID-19 test four days after they arrive. The second test is optional, he said, intended to give the state another way to make sure its efforts are working. No one can be ordered to take it.

Why the second test? Because about 1 out of 1,000 passengers who were negative on the pre-test are expected to be positive after they arrive, Green said, a number considered manageable. A second "reference" test can help make sure those predictions are holding.

How many tourists are willing to go through all that?

Even after successfully completing the tests, visitors may not find the bustling dining-and-shopping paradise they expected. Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell said his city has some of the same conditions found in many mainland cities: bars closed, mask requirements in public places and many tourist attractions and activities on hiatus.

Masks will be required everywhere, even beaches if a family is near other people, Green said.

As a result, island officials aren't entirely sure how many tourists to expect once the testing program begins.

Green is expecting about 2,000 to 3,000 visitors a day to start with "significant increases" in travel next February and March.

The climb could be a long one, too. Because of the requirement to quarantine, tourism to Hawaii has fallen off a cliff. Hawaii's daily visitor count shows a drop of more than 90% most days so far this month compared to the same days last year.

State, airlines going out on a limb to restart tourism

The number of people infected with COVID-19 has fallen to low enough levels that Hawaii officials feel they can take the risk. The state has had more than 13,000 cases and 160 deaths, Johns Hopkins coronavirus tracker reports.

New cases are down, with only 92 on average per day over the past week, though there was a single-day spike being reported Friday to 155, and 106 people were in hospitals, Green said.

Gov. Ige said he is confident that Hawaii can protect residents. The federal government is providing 90,000 test kits in case of a surge.

"The goal is to "ensure we can bring transpacific travelers back to the islands in a safe way that does not put our community health at risk," Ige said. But "there are thousands of moving parts and things are continually changing every day."

And Green said the state has 300 contact tracers ready to go with another 300 in reserve.

With the new program, airlines are anticipating more passengers to Hawaii and are ready to boost service. Hawaiian Airlines is among them, gradually ramping up by adding Phoenix, Oakland and San Jose over the next month.

Can the plan succeed in successfully ramping up and reviving the state's economy while not letting the coronavirus run wild?

"I am the eternal optimist," he said.

This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Hawaii vacation? COVID-19 hassles abound amid tourist testing program

-------------------------
Dora Hates You
 10/11/2020 07:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Look what yellow fever did to the native Hawai'ian population.... While they depend on tourist $, they're taking this seriously, which they should..... that being said, looks like it may be another missed winter for me.

Edited: 10/11/2020 at 07:07 AM by Plan B
 10/12/2020 03:13 AM

Hosteldweller

Joined Forum: 01/20/2014

Leaving next week, got my test lined up and hopefully negative. Family following behind me a week later after some alone Dad time. These trips are what get me through the year and especially winters. Let you know how it went.
 10/16/2020 04:08 PM

all3

Joined Forum: 12/28/2011

so you will be the one to thank for all the swell we get next week!

"I remember South Africa in the late 70's, sleeping on the beach at J-bay, smoking ganja with the blacks. On weekends we'd go to the pub in East London to drink beer and fight with the Afrikaners. They liked to fight, I liked to fight. It was a good time"
 10/18/2020 05:10 AM

Plan B

LOL, I don't think he cares. Have fun.... early season = more N swells... some of my favorite breaks
 10/18/2020 05:14 AM

Plan B

10/18/2020 01:45 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

If anyone wants to plan a surf trip, send me a note and I can give you advice based on where I've surfed in Oahu, Maui, and Kauai.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
 10/23/2020 11:02 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Backlog in the state's manual COVID-19 test verification process sends thousands of Hawaii travelers to quarantine

https://www.staradvertiser.com...avelers-to-quarantine/

Dora Hates You
 11/10/2020 06:18 AM

Hosteldweller

Joined Forum: 01/20/2014

Just got back. I followed the protocol to a T, got my results in time and sailed right through the airport checkpoint. My family had a minor setback but it's all about getting the right test back in time and having it printed out for display. No one said anything to me for 2.5 weeks about Covid. We wore masks except for beach areas. The crowds may have been lighter but I didn't notice it because the locals are not in school or at work much. The streets were pretty empty and no noticeable Japanese tourists which is rare. My wife is one so no offence of course but they're usually packed at every tourist location spending $...not now though. The waves were very friendly for me on the NS, many days 4'-10'. Back in NJ, ready for 4/3 but planning February trip...
 11/11/2020 04:05 AM

Plan B

Nice... but 10' Hawai'ian is no joke..... was probably nice to cruise by Lanis without busloads of Japaneese tourists cloggin up the Kam.... (which I'm sure was breaking well this time of year)
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .