Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: WTF ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/25/2020 02:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/25/2020 02:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JOESTRUMMER

Joined Forum: 03/24/2012

On the bottom left , right under the logo of 2nd light.com : it says latest forum news : The bible of the sport 1962 -2020 ( Obviously a reference to the demise of Surfer magazine ) When I clicked on that , I got a rambling message ? I could not find a corresponding topic in any of the forum threads ? What am I missing ? Is that a member or the admin ?
 10/25/2020 03:25 AM

GreenLantern

Joined Forum: 10/02/2007

its a blog of different date topics
the latest topic is at the top

The Bible of the Sport, 1962-2020 - 10/03/2020 09:07 AM
The caption reads: "Keep politics out of surfing" is a common refrain on social media these days, but the fact is the decisions made in the political realm have tremendous influence over our surfing lives and the health of our coasts. And as our window to prevent the worst outcomes from climate change closes, its more important now than ever to vote like the future of surfing depends on it. That's why, for the first time in Surfer's 60-year history, we're endorsing a presidential ticket.' Today, it has been reported that Surfer's entire staff was furloughed by its parent company, American Media, and that the magazine has been temporarily shut down. As in, Surfer Magazine, the "Bible of our sport", is no more, for now. Some backstory. About a year and a half ago, we reported that Surfer Magazine had cut half of its staff in anticipation of a corporate takeover. The original parent company (The Enthusiast Network) was selling all of its various media entities to American Media, and part of that deal included trimming the staff that worked in their Carlsbad HQ. So who is American Media? Well, as of August 2020, they're now called A360Media - sister company of Accelerate 360, a distribution giant that deals in just about everything, but specializes these days in products like face masks and hand sanitizers. According to the 'About me' tab on AMI's (aka A360Media's) prehistoric landing page: "(AMI) owns and operates the leading celebrity and health & fitness media brands in the country. Our magazines have a combined total circulation of 2.3+ million and reach 47+ million men and women each month. Our digital properties reach a total of 60+ million unique visitors and 762+ million page views monthly." Some of AMI's major titles include Men's Journal, Us Weekly, In Touch, plus action sports labels Bike, Powder, Snowboarder, TW Skate, and of course, Surfer. Up until April 2019, AMI owned the National Enquirer. Interestingly, AMI's recently departed CEO, David Pecker, was the one who helped Trump funnel hush-money to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal in order to "kill" their stories about his sexual infidelity. While Pecker has stepped down as the CEO of A360Media, according to an inside source, he is reportedly still pulling strings under the title "executive adviser". Back to Surfer. We know that the August issue of their quarterly magazine was clipped as far back as a month ago, which was perhaps indicative of end times. However, people inside the staff might have assumed the title would go completely digital rather than being shut down. This would imply that yesterday's political post involved a great level of risk for the entire staff, and perhaps influenced AMI's decision to kill the brand. Another possibility is that Editor in Chief Todd Prodanovich knew AMI was going to shut down Surfer and used the Instagram post as a pre-mortem mic drop. Like, "If Surfer is going to die, it's going out with a bang." In fairness to Todd and crew, yesterday's endorsement was more a public crystallization of their long-standing brand values than it was a groundbreaking political statement. Anybody who's read Surfer's site/mag for the past five years knew exactly what they stood for, and it certainly wasn't Trump. Regardless of what the Surfer staff did or didn't know regarding their termination (and how that related to their publishing of an official Presidential endorsement), we've heard from an inside source that the Surfer brand was slated to be extinguished no matter what, and that it was purely by chance that this culling coincided with yesterday's post....however unlikely that may seem. It's also rumored that another wave of AMI layoffs and brand terminations will occur in late November. Titles such as Powder, TW Skate, Snowboarder etc. could be on the chopping block. Less speculative info will filter in over the coming days, but "American Media don't play," a source tells Stab. In the meantime, we'd just like to say RIP to Surfer Magazine, and to thank them for everything the storied mag cataloged. The Bible of the Sport, 1962-2020.
 10/25/2020 08:44 AM

JOESTRUMMER

I ALMOST kind of figured that out last night , ( or should I say this morning,as I posted that in the wee hours while still intoxicated ---- which probably explains why I could not find the corresponding topic , now I remember it had been moved to NSR) I was profoundly confused (in my state) by the long ramble ? And I thought I was the KING of poor sentence structure ! ( Kids: Dont drink and post on Social Media ! )

Edited: 10/25/2020 at 08:46 AM by JOESTRUMMER
 10/28/2020 04:44 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

I grew up with Surfer Magazine. In fact, I worked for them for 6 years (1985-1990).

I also ran the ESA-CFL district for 4 years. The first year with with Ke11y's dad, Steve.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand how this thread equates Donald J Trump with the death of Surfer Mag.

Please enlighten me.
 10/29/2020 07:48 AM

JOESTRUMMER

Randy : That particular post is part of a 5 page thread titled : SURFER magazine just published its last issue . Originally started innocently enough here in the surfing forum by Central Floridadave , it was subsequently hijacked and politicized to such an extent that the Admin moved the entire thread to the NSR forum -------where it is now buried on page 14 or 15 . If you have never been to the NSR forum , it is EXTREMELY whacked out and very entertaining to say the least . It is also the most active on 2nd Light.

Edited: 10/30/2020 at 07:53 AM by JOESTRUMMER
 10/30/2020 06:28 AM

worksuxgetsponsered

Joined Forum: 01/19/2005

EXTREMELY whacked out and very entertaining to say the least

The train wreck of second light....

-------------------------
Specializing in sarcasm and condescending rhetoric since 1971.
 10/30/2020 07:58 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

Originally posted by: worksuxgetsponsered

The train wreck of second light....

Do any of them work? Where do they find the time to post XXXXXXX times a day. It's a bit creepy. I think to myself "I bought a surfboard off this guy?"
 10/30/2020 03:57 PM

Plan B

Joined Forum: 03/08/2004

Originally posted by: rc I grew up with Surfer Magazine. In fact, I worked for them for 6 years (1985-1990). .
That's pretty cool.... the 1st issue of my 1st subscription was Feb. 1988 What did you do for them? More recently, have had friends the editors and photo editors of Transworld, then Surfing... then went of to be "field editor / writer" for Surfer.... it's a shame what's happenning to the print industry. Everyone wants to stare at their RGB glowing screens, but it's not the same as holding the pages in your hand.

Edited: 10/30/2020 at 03:58 PM by Plan B
 10/30/2020 04:23 PM

JOESTRUMMER

As I recall at the time ,they had a Great and unprecedented supplemental East Coast insert in the VERY center of the Magazine , and I believe Randy was the Central Florida correspondent / editor? Randy ????

Edited: 10/30/2020 at 09:00 PM by JOESTRUMMER
 11/01/2020 07:45 AM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I like Surfer more than Surfing mag because of the weird pic they'd post on the last page. I quit getting both when the ads out numbered the articles.
 11/02/2020 01:07 PM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Ok, to ask again in a more civil arena.....

I'm trying to tap the minds of Surfer Mag (SM) readers.....in the early/mid 70's SM had an article/fictional story that is set in 1st person. I believe the guy's brother had died but before his death the brother had invented a pill that let you see the natural power in the wave via different colors. I remember one line that went something like this "I saw a bright green flow on the face of the wave and when I got to it my board shot out from underneath me, this was the speed line". The guy goes on to tell of future waves and how he finally learned to read all the different colors but alas, his brother was dead so that there were no more pills available.....Trippy, I know.

Anybody remember this story? Or maybe I was the one taking the pills......

Edited: 11/02/2020 at 01:08 PM by RocketSurf
 11/03/2020 04:55 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Rocket, I was going to ask the same type of question about Walt Novak, the chronic writer in the Surf Post section. He was one of the most creative and hilarious pen men I have had the privilege to read. The Haole Substitute is out there, but I'd love to see a collection of his Surf Post stuff.

-------------------------
I was right.
 11/03/2020 05:25 AM

SurferMic

Joined Forum: 06/30/2012

Walt Novak!...forgot about him...I remember his post about how all the pros were using the drug "eeffoc" and that they were all addicts who needed their eeffoc hit in the AM...creative guy
 11/05/2020 09:54 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

Originally posted by: TATTOO74
Originally posted by: worksuxgetsponsered
The train wreck of second light....[IMG][/IMG]
Do any of them work? Where do they find the time to post XXXXXXX times a day. It's a bit creepy. I think to myself "I bought a surfboard off this guy?"
No they do not have jobs
FORUMS : Surfing : WTF ?

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .