Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Rebirth of First Peak - Petition Started
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/30/2020 04:31 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2020 04:31 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TunnelVision

Joined Forum: 10/02/2003

I think it's time we take back the inlet. It's been 25 years of wreckage for first peak. I started a petition as such that will accommodate the fishermen as well. Part of this will be crowd funded by surfers, and part by the counties.

https://www.change.org/p/flori...-inlet-jetty-extension

Let's convince the counties that it's in the best interest for the local economy by convincing the WSL to bring back a WCT event to first peak every few years or so. The idea would be that one every 3 years, either Trestles or Hossegor will be substituted with a Sebastian Inlet slot.

This is something that would need to be a community effort, so please sign this petition, and spread the word. I'm certain that we can do this.

The inlet used to be the heart and soul of surfing in Brevard County.

Email the county commissioners and the WSL and let them know we are serious.

Edited: 12/30/2020 at 11:20 AM by TunnelVision
 12/30/2020 05:27 AM

TATTOO74

Joined Forum: 10/26/2005

I'd be down to have KOP back
 12/30/2020 05:44 AM

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

The jetty is for navigational safety, fishing is a byproduct.

-------------------------
I was right.

Edited: 12/30/2020 at 05:50 AM by Cole
 12/30/2020 05:55 AM

Cole

Are you an extension of this?

http://www.firstpeak.org/

I was right.
 12/30/2020 06:05 AM

AndreaCaloiaro

Joined Forum: 03/28/2014

I'm sure there are articles and experts who've covered this point, but I'm still baffled as to why the county would willingly just basically throw away so much revenue by not trying to redesign the peak. Remember how much revenue in entry, beachgoing, contests, and camping were due to the peak's draw? I cannot believe that's not an incentive to contract an engineering firm to bring FL's most famous wedge.
 12/30/2020 06:21 AM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

Piss up a rope. Shout at the wind.

Dora Hates You
 12/30/2020 07:42 AM

DaveFL76

Joined Forum: 08/16/2003

It's not the extension itself that dissipated the wave energy.

It's the slope of the new wall, which doesn't reflect waves like the old one did.

12/30/2020 09:22 AM

TunnelVision

never realized or heard anything about navigational safety. what were the issues before hand? currents, or is there a big light at end. If light needed, just put an light up? Were there a lot of accidents beforehand that were corrected? I personally wonder if that was just a ploy by fishermen. I personally don't buy that it fixed navigational safety, but perhaps I don't know the full story either. Do you have any links to any info on that? Would be interesting to do a comparison of accidents beforehand and afterwards to see if it really made any difference.

Edited: 12/30/2020 at 09:27 AM by TunnelVision
 12/30/2020 09:24 AM

TunnelVision

So, are you just saying a correcting needs to be made with slope? I think the whole thing causes issues. The jetty was short enough beforehand that the main "wedging" happened right before the sandbar. If you wedge too early, it just sends waves too far away from jetty, kinda like Ponce Inlet jetty, which pretty much doesn't work anything like Sebastian as far as waves (tho it has it's day for sure). To be guaranteed that same wave, gotta return the jetty to the way it was (as close as possible)

Edited: 12/30/2020 at 09:43 AM by TunnelVision
 12/30/2020 09:36 AM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: Cole

Are you an extension of this?

http://www.firstpeak.org/

Well, I didn't know about that, but how far has it gotten? Not suggesting it's not valid, just saying, we gotta really get a petition going so we can show the counties how much interest there is in this, and that surfers themselves would go a long ways to get the prior First Peak back. Gotta have a very specific plan. Determine funding needed. Determine how much counties will pay for. Get a crowdfund amount to accomplish, and if that portion is funded, county funding kicks in. Get volunteers to help with pier construction. I'm certain thousands of surfers would be willing to volunteer on that project, as well as donate. $500 for pass into demolition day party. 2000 allowed into party. That's a 1M right there. If we could keep destruction / construction costs under $2M, then that party alone could crowdfund half of the project. I believe quite strongly that 2000 people from the area would donate $500 or more to get into party. Maybe we can convince Kelly to come and hang, and get Jack Johnson to play. We'll fly him and in pay him something as well. You know, put out flyers all over the place at common beaches for petition to start with, as well as surf shops and surf web sites. Very easy to spread this in surfing community. You know, when you just donate to a project you don't know if it will happen, then your money may be gone with no action, but if county says OK *IFF* crowdfunding happens for 50% of the budget, else crowdfunding money is returned to donators if crowdfunding goal is not met, therefore, it's easier to make a commitment because you know if your money is taken, that means the deal is going through. We'll give Kelly first wave at revived first peak (tip of the hat to the true king of the peak). We can have surfboard manufacturers each provide a surfboard for giveaway which promotes them and incentives people to spend the 500. Other giveaways as well.

Edited: 12/30/2020 at 11:16 AM by TunnelVision
 12/30/2020 09:59 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Deja vu thread.
 12/30/2020 10:05 AM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: StirfryMcflurry

Deja vu thread.

Perhaps, but I'm motivated. It takes a lot to accomplish this, but only if you get people really truly psyched on it, and not just, "someone's trying to bring back first peak" - we literally all have to get involved. Talking to people at surfing beaches, shops, etc, etc. Even other counties.

Get the WSL involved. Get Surfline involved. Get Chuck to put up something on main page. Wavecaster too. Local surf shops - quiet flight, ron jon, catalyst, longboard house, etc. reach out to other counties. Get Red Dog involved. Get Surf Station involved. Have surfer magazine and surfing magazine write up articles about the project. They are always looking for good content.

Biggest point is it can not be a one man effort. It has to involve thousands to say, we've had it. We need this back. Let's push forward every day in some manner.

Could have an app where we coordinate on tasks. Little tasks. One at a time. No big thing, but a checklist and assignment. Such as reach out to 10 demolition companies to get estimates. Reach out to 10 pier construction companies to get estimate on partial construction (driving the pilings in) to be finished by community volunteers - sides of pier / walking planks, etc. Print up flyers, bring to local shops to ask to put on window. Lots of little tasks. Go out to local bars and talk to people about the project. If we get 50 people involved handling tasks, we can make some real progress.

Edited: 12/30/2020 at 10:42 AM by TunnelVision
 12/30/2020 10:43 AM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: dingpatch

Piss up a rope. Shout at the wind.

done (both)
 12/30/2020 11:03 AM

matt_t

Joined Forum: 10/21/2003

me also thinks there is too much sand in the general area since the started all the beach nourishments to the north.. about the same time they rebuilt the jetty.

12/30/2020 11:18 AM

TunnelVision

Originally posted by: matt_t

me also thinks there is too much sand in the general area since the started all the beach nourishments to the north.. about the same time they rebuilt the jetty.

Perhaps, but mostly just where the wedging off the jetty happens. Current jetty extension messes it all up. The short jetty wedged right before sandbar in such a perfect way

12/30/2020 12:29 PM

dingpatch

Joined Forum: 07/24/2003

We would have thought that this horse was sufficiently beaten in years past.

Sebastian Inlet State Park is controlled by the State of Florida; not so much by the associated counties.

The jetty is there for "Navigation", really nothing more. The walkway portions were enhanced for fishing, etc., but, were not put there for any specific purposes.

In the Big Scheme of Things, surfers and surfing there rank well below such things such as "tick removal".

Dora Hates You
 12/30/2020 12:33 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Very likely too much sand. It is of course a valuable resource to the south.
 12/30/2020 03:47 PM

Cole

The tip of the north jetty is an established habitat for Goliath Grouper and I'm pretty sure they are still considered a threatened species.

I was right.
 12/30/2020 03:49 PM

Cole

I was wrong, they are considered a Critically Endangered species. The tip of that jetty isn't going anywhere. I'd look into plan B.

Perhaps get with the First Peak people.

I was right.
 12/30/2020 05:42 PM

grdsurf

Joined Forum: 09/28/2004

matt_t hit the nail on the head. There is more to first peak than just the jetty configuration. Over the years , no make that decades sand has accumulated on both the north and south sides which has been detrimental to the surf on both sides. To much sand on the north side generally causes a "overwedge" condition for First Pieak (bad). Further aggravating the situation is the sand at Monster Hole has moved so far out that it causes the swell to refract at to steep of an angle into the jetty on the north side which again results in the dreaded "overwedge effect". In addition to the unfavorable refraction it also sucks swell energy away from the north side, and creates to some extent a "wave void". It's a bummer such a great wave is gone, little did we know when we were kids surfing there how lucky we were. Oh, Monster Hole was way better back then as well, it was "X" mark the spot take off on every set, and had more wave speed since deep water was feeding the shoulders. There was even a really good right off the tip of the south jetty that broke sometimes on a big north swell. I remember a article in Surfing Magazine titled something like "Florida in 250 words or less", I think GP might have penned it. It had some insane pics of the north side and Monster Hole. One of the best pictures was of Dick Catri on a large right at Monster Hole, just perfect, also a really good shot of Buzzy Fouyeh(last name spelling is wrong) on a classic first peak wedge. There was another pulled back shot take from the bridge that shows a insane thick single wedge with an empty lineup. It was really good early on even before they "capped" the jetty. This would have been about 1972 I think, (a little before my time there). There was another pictorial in one of the magazines of "Morning Side Drive" by Allen Margolis(RIP) with great pics of Greg Loehr, Jeff Crawford(switch foot) and Doug Wright(probably mid Seventies). I might be getting a little carried away here...but I remember the first time I surfed it at age 13 or so, my friends dad drove us down from Cocoa Beach and it was so different ....really deep breaking almost on the sand compared to CB. It must have been high tide went we got there...but I'll never forget the first "First Peak" wave I saw after the tide had dropped some (it wouldn't even break at all on high tide it was so deep). Seemingly out of no where this peak jacks up like nothing my crumb snatching eyes had ever seen before and Dennis Bub drops in back side cranks a hard bottom turn and then crushes the lip so fast that I was completely blow away....

Edited: 12/30/2020 at 05:58 PM by grdsurf
FORUMS : Surfing : Rebirth of First Peak - Petition Started

1 2 3 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .