Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Pro surfer beat up by Mexican local in Puerto Escondido
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/05/2021 02:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/05/2021 02:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

johnny tsunami

Joined Forum: 03/09/2005

Punched by Mexican local

Edited: 01/05/2021 at 02:08 PM by johnny tsunami
 01/05/2021 05:35 PM

pumphouse

Joined Forum: 07/23/2003

for such a short video, lot going on here

-------------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it." - George Bernard Shaw
 01/05/2021 07:49 PM

Greensleeves

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

Nothing too bad. Pride getting beat.
 01/06/2021 03:59 AM

fausteddie

Joined Forum: 08/10/2009

Pretty cool explanation in the article, he owned it. Here is the excerpt from Stab: "At the end of the day, locals have the right of way in terms of waves. That local said he didn't like other people on his waves and I get that. When locals are surfing their spot I think they're entitled to any wave they want even if somebody's already on it. I'm a strong believer in that. I f*ed up, took the punches, stood my ground and that was about it. Did you fight back at all when he started swinging on you? No. I apologized, told him it was my bad, just tried to be accountable for my actions and told him I wouldn't do it again. He told me to bail so I started going in and he actually met me on the inside and we squashed it, so I paddled back out and got to surf for longer."
 01/06/2021 05:16 AM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

2 inch wave hahaha Now that was comical
 01/06/2021 07:02 AM

Cole

I like funky little waves like that.

He got smacked with some humble pie and handled like a gentleman. That's nice.

I was right.
 01/06/2021 08:37 AM

oipaul

Joined Forum: 12/06/2004

Originally posted by: fausteddie

Pretty cool explanation in the article, he owned it. Here is the excerpt from Stab:
"At the end of the day, locals have the right of way in terms of waves. That local said he didn't like other people on his waves and I get that. When locals are surfing their spot I think they're entitled to any wave they want even if somebody's already on it. I'm a strong believer in that. I f*ed up, took the punches, stood my ground and that was about it.

So I can drop in on anybody anytime as long as I'm surfing my local? Sweet!
 01/07/2021 05:02 PM

Kimo63

Joined Forum: 04/22/2012

Used to see that punching happen at first peak in the late 70's often . By the time I moved to Oahu I knew how to handle myself and stay out of trouble .
 01/07/2021 05:41 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Originally posted by: oipaul
So I can drop in on anybody anytime as long as I'm surfing my local? Sweet!

Apparently. Game on tomorrow
 01/08/2021 12:08 PM

waterlizard25

Joined Forum: 07/18/2012

LMAO @kimo63

Edited: 01/08/2021 at 12:09 PM by waterlizard25
 01/08/2021 05:23 PM

rc

Joined Forum: 01/02/2006

So you're saying because I have surfed RCs since 1976 I can take any wave I want? Not many out there have surfed there longer.

Sorry, but that sounds lame.

It's a judgement call on each wave situation, but it's a give and take and a little is based on the talent level between 2 surfers and, all things being equal, I think sharing waves is better than the Neanderthal "my beach my wave".

Based on this rationale, I can drop in on someone like Sammy Barker because I have 15-20 years on him in the lineup?
 01/09/2021 02:18 PM

Cole

What would your opinion be if a guy paddled out at RC's and sat on your shoulder the whole time? Most stories have two sides and I imagine this one does too.

I've surfed 2nd Light for 30 some odd years now and got stuffed multiple times by guys from down south who were surfing my local spot because RC's sucked. Was I to just keep quiet and say nothing?

I was right.
 01/09/2021 06:41 PM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

are you Buddhist? I'm guessing not.
 01/09/2021 08:48 PM

kreidel

Joined Forum: 08/27/2009

Originally posted by: StirfryMcflurry

are you Buddhist? I'm guessing not.

Made me think of John C Reilly...

01/10/2021 12:52 PM

johnnyboy

So me and my buddy "toro" were surfing palm beach about three years ago. My buddy is huge. He's what they call in his triathletes call a Clydesdale. He's about 300lbs but he's super fit and still big. He rides a 6'2" that chris Birch made for him and he kills it. The wave actually whimpers when he lays on his rails. The wave was perfect. 6' to 8' with offshores and hollow sets coming in regularly. Bombing snd perfect. There were two pros out there with us. I won't mention names but there aren't many pros from palm beach so you can probably figure it out. The sets were far enough apart where the take off spot had us sharing for the most part. The one pro was putting on a show. Getting tubed twice on one that was a closeouts for 98% of the rest of the world. The pros were killing it and surfing awesome waves as good as they could be surfed. I got snaked by the guy I know. He dropped in on me and blew past me. This happen to some of the others out there too.

My buddy "toro" Dropped in on a perfect left and was two pumps down the line when the pro just dropped in. Or I should say tried to drop in. As he came down, toro came behind him and physically threw him him back and kept going. He rode the wave, his frontside, smacked the lip hard and killed it. As he was paddling back, I was over there by him to tell him that he had a bomb and he killed it. The pro paddled over and said "hey buddy, sorry about that last wave." Toro said "it's fine, but never let it happen again." I could see the pro was surprised. Toro then paddled over to me and was like "dude, that's (pro's name)." I laughed so hard. "Dude, I love the way you're touched by fame."

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

01/10/2021 02:41 PM

GREG

Joined Forum: 08/20/2003

Throwing blows over that wave is kind of overkill. The tourist may have been catching a bunch of waves though and not taking his turn.

http://www.crsurf.com ~ CR Surf Travel Company

http://www.vacationsbygreg.com
Instagram - @crsurf
Statistics
146495 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .