Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Nica UPdate
Topic Summary: no go
Created On: 02/04/2021 12:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/04/2021 12:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jdbman

Joined Forum: 07/28/2003

Nicaragua Travel Advisory: Level 3: Reconsider travel, February 04, 2021

Reconsider travel to Nicaragua due to COVID-19, limited healthcare availability, and arbitrary enforcement of laws. Exercise increased caution in Nicaragua due to crime.

Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 4 Travel Health Notice for Nicaragua due to COVID-19. Travelers should expect delays returning to the U.S. and there is reduced availability of flights. Visit the Embassy's COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Nicaragua.

The government of Nicaragua arbitrarily enforces laws for political purposes. Throughout Nicaragua, government officials and law enforcement continue to target those opposed to the rule of President Ortega. The government and its affiliated groups have been reported to:
. Systematically target opposition figures (regardless of nationality), including former allies, political activists, business representatives, clergy, human rights advocates, and members of the press.
. Arbitrarily detain pro-democracy advocates.
. Prevent certain individuals from departing Nicaragua by air or land for political reasons.
. Arbitrarily seize and/or search private property including personal phones and computers for anti-government content.
. Arbitrarily detain individuals with unfounded charges of terrorism, money laundering, and organized crime for political motives.
Travelers should exercise increased caution and be alert to the risks of crime, including violent crimes such as sexual assault and armed robbery.

Poor infrastructure in parts of the country limits the Embassy's ability to assist U.S. citizens in emergencies. U.S. government personnel may be subject to restrictions on their movements at any time.

Read the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Nicaragua:
. See the U.S. Embassy's web page regarding COVID-19.
. Visit the CDC's webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
. Consider arrangements to depart the country quickly.
. Ensure your U.S. passport is valid and available for a quick departure from the country, if needed.
. Avoid demonstrations and restrict unnecessary travel.
. Do not attempt to drive through crowds, barricades, or roadblocks.
. Maintain adequate supplies of food, cash, potable water, and fuel in case you need to shelter in place.
. Use caution when walking or driving at night.
. Keep a low profile.
. Do not display signs of wealth such as expensive watches or jewelry.
. Be aware of your surroundings.
. Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
. Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
. Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
. Review the Crime and Safety Report for Nicaragua.
. U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations, and review the Traveler's Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to Civil Unrest and Crime

-------------------------
So if you are a surfer I wish you the prosperity that allows you more time to pursue the salt water dream, and the true happiness that comes from warm water, clean waves and the companionship of your fellow surfers. If you are an internet troll just spewing bs then f off.
 02/04/2021 05:23 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Travel in general is looking iffy. It may be late summer until vaccination is nearing completion in the most affluent countries. Middle income countries like Mexico, CR, Panama, Peru, Brazil, Argentina and Chile may have difficulties finding and paying for vaccines, and with distribution.
    Right now, the virus is so widespread in the US that I think people who have done a good job of hiding from it until now are falling victim. There seems to be a real threat of the virus outspreading the vaccines, at least for a few months. Predictions for the end of May in the US run from things being under control, to being like now, with the IHME (University of Washington) being really pessimistic about Florida. They believe masks (and social distancing) are extremely important and have a "mask" curve that looks a whole lot better.
    i'm hoping to visit Maui in late March, Yellowstone National Park in mid May. Both cheap tickets. Yellowstone was already heavily booked. I used to live in the first town east of Yellowstone, so it's a homecoming.
    Maui, I'll likely be recovering from a planned surgical procedure in late Feb. and might be strictly doing tourist stuff. Still, got to at least look at the beaches.

Edited: 02/04/2021 at 05:57 PM by ww
 02/04/2021 07:39 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

ww, at this rate I am worried about my hiking trip in the smokies next christmas.
 02/04/2021 08:55 PM

ww

RiddleMe, my niece is having a fine time living and hiking the Asheville area this winter. There's a reasonable chance that the epidemic will be crushed by July. While I'm really bothered by travel right now, if death and hospitalization rates keep dropping, a spring trip for the trilliums should be OK. Beautiful region. I envy someone I knew in college and ended up a prof at Appalachian State U., Dr. Howard S. Neufeld.
 02/05/2021 02:45 AM

StirfryMcflurry

Joined Forum: 08/17/2016

Originally posted by: ww There's a reasonable chance that the epidemic will be crushed by July. .
Source?
 02/05/2021 05:35 PM

ww

Guesses about when things will return to normal are all over the place. One important piece of research indicates that transmission of the virus is largely by people aged 20-49, so vaccinating school kids or the elderly doesn't do much to slow the epidemic. Science, Feb. 2
The IHME at the University of Washington has gotten gloomy about Florida, a bit more optimistic about the rest of the US. Maximum daily deaths in May. Their projections have been changing fairly fast lately. Recent ones are attempting to account for the English and South African variant viruses causing extra infections--almost a separate epidemic within the larger epidemic. Florida projection
FORUMS : Surfing : Nica UPdate

Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
146499 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .