Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Acute injuries in recreational and competitive surfers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/06/2021 05:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2021 05:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Interesting article on surfing injuries....take away quote

"The incidence proportion for surfers completing aerial maneuvers was calculated to be 0.48 (CI, 0.39-0.58) major injuries per year, this being the highest incidence proportion irrespective of competitive status."

Acute injuries in recreational and competitive surfers: incidence, severity, location, type, and mechanism

Edited: 07/06/2021 at 05:52 AM by RocketSurf
 07/06/2021 07:02 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

Joined Forum: 07/22/2003

I originally thought age should be factored in too, but with age comes common sense...most of the time. I no longer attempt to stick free-fall floaters or tuck into closed out barrels and being of the 'turn not launch generation' has saved me from joint destruction due to failed air reverses and whatnot. It turns out that boring surfing is safe.

Not being cool anymore might have it's effect too; old goobers have nothing to prove.

-------------------------
I was right.
 07/06/2021 07:37 AM

RocketSurf

Joined Forum: 03/20/2014

Nothing to prove....nothing to lose.
 07/06/2021 07:57 AM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Looking up that report led to this slightly older one. Looks like much the same. Hard boards hit surfers, leashes cause recoil, crowds are bad. Aerials, too. Epidemiology of Acute Injuries in Surfing: Type, Location, Mechanism, Severity, and Incidence: A Systematic Review

Edited: 07/06/2021 at 07:58 AM by ww
 07/06/2021 09:18 AM

Greensleeves

My pull up bar busted yesterday and I landed on my back on a tree stump and the bar hit my forehead. Does that count?
 07/07/2021 10:19 AM

johnnyboy

That counts. I cannot even do a pull up anymore without feeling like there is an ice pick in my shoulder. But, this is why I don't do aerials and huge airs. My lack of talent in this area has kept me safe. Its like my lack of money has shielded me from losing money I couldnt afford to invest in the stock market.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

07/07/2021 12:08 PM

SlimyBritches

Joined Forum: 01/08/2016

I've been stabbed by fins twice. The first time the "doctor" sewed up sand and sea monkeys up in the wound, got gangrene, had a muscle and artery removed from foot, was laid up for 3 months, and lost a good job. 2cnd time the doc asked a stupid question, my answer was for him to refer me to the doc that saved my foot from the 2nd docs twin.
 07/07/2021 12:19 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Tore my rotator the rest of the way requiring surgery sooner rather than later, broke my hand ending a trip a week early, pushed my incisors through my chin skin from getting smacked in the face by my board, got a concussion, a fin cut requiring stitches that I stitched up myself, and pressure sheared an anatomically odd artery in my sinuses combined with a rare medicine side effect of blood thinning that almost made me bleed out and landed me in Vivian Pellas hospital for 3 days in Nica. I survived, had fun, and am stoked and ready for my next trip as soon as this hand finishes healing. We all have our battle wounds.

Edited: 07/07/2021 at 12:20 PM by RiddleMe
 07/07/2021 12:21 PM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

I would hate to see how many more injuries I would have if I could actually do airs.
 07/07/2021 12:31 PM

ww

Joined Forum: 08/17/2007

Rotator cuff tendon repair (it broke) on Aug 19.
 07/07/2021 01:13 PM

johnnyboy

I had the classic skateboarder ding where you skate with your surfboard, it a pebble and drop the board upside down damaging the nose and tail. Basically the glass around the stringer was gone. I put epoxy on each side with no regard for the way the stringer stuck out. I later lost it on a turn and the board dotted me in my nose and punctured my nostril all the way through. I was stupid not to repair right, should have known and learned a hard lesson. I can by the way, do amazing airs. Just not with my board.

"One of the reasons why propaganda tries to get you to hate government is because it's the one existing institution in which people can participate to some extent and constrain tyrannical unaccountable power." Noam Chomsky.

07/08/2021 06:52 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Cole

I tried a fly away floater on a hard offshore day and sat on the tip of the board. Ever had a hole stabbed into your taint by a semi dull object?

I was right.
 07/08/2021 07:15 AM

long_flaco1

Joined Forum: 09/25/2003

I got bit by a shark on the north side of the cocoa beach pier about 6-7 years ago now (I figured its mouth was about 1 foot radius inside is what it felt like before it clamped down, so maybe like a 4 footer or something but never even saw the fucker!)(I did however come through with all 10 fingers and 10 toes so its all good yo!).. PUT ME OUT of Surf\Sk8 for 3 months to the day.. but been surfing my face off since then (when life allows it) and I still love this shit!

SK8 AND DESTROY

Edited: 07/08/2021 at 07:51 AM by long_flaco1
 07/08/2021 02:04 PM

SAsurfer

Joined Forum: 02/17/2013

Originally posted by: SlimyBritches I've been stabbed by fins twice. The first time the "doctor" sewed up sand and sea monkeys up in the wound, got gangrene, had a muscle and artery removed from foot, was laid up for 3 months, and lost a good job. 2cnd time the doc asked a stupid question, my answer was for him to refer me to the doc that saved my foot from the 2nd docs twin.
I feel your pain. I got my second fin cut ever about three weeks ago just above a knee, decided not to got to a doc, put some "New Skin" on it and continued swimming laps and surfing. Just a little bit of scab remains. But yesterday was sliced again, this one longer and deeper. I went to the ER this time and needed stitches - no time in water until they are out. I could't believe it - years and years without a fin cut and then two in about three weeks.
Statistics
146500 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .