Hey Matt B ... How the hell o are you ??? :)

2nd Light Forums
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: nerve damage to shoulder
Topic Summary: nerve damage to shoulder
Created On: 07/06/2021 10:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2021 10:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

beachboyatwork

Joined Forum: 05/28/2015

Im kind of in the same boat as nsbkook was when he had herniated discs. I had to have a 3 layer fusion done to my neck after my hands and feet started going numb. I held it off for about 2 years doing home PT. I had 4 different doctors tell me I was lucky to have held it off as long as I did. So I went with Dr Masson - things didnt turn out well. 10 days after he surgery I suddenly couldnt raise my right arm above my shoulder and could not do a bicep curl at all. They dicked me around for a month before they did a second surgery to the back of my neck to remove some bone that had impinged on the nerves to my right arm. During that time between surgeries my bicep, delts , scapula and trap muscles basically disappeared - if I hadnt seen it I wouldn't believe something like that could happen. While they say they cleared the nerve impingement there was some permanent damage - I have heavy numbness in my right index finger and some in my left. I went to multiple surgeons including the mayo clinic and basically they all said that the damage was done - no fixes. So I spent most of 2020 trying to rebuild my arm strength with PT . I was unable to surf until about 2 months ago until I had strengthened my rotator cuff muscles so it would pop when I paddled. I was told that that would destroy it and lead to RC surgery. Long story short Im back in the water but now I have an unexpected issue. When I pop up about a third of the time I am unable to land my font foot (left) cleanly on the deck ...my toes usually catch and down I go. Ive tried to change the way I pop up but Ive been surfing for 55 years and my lizard brain just goes on autopilot when I start to drop in. I realize now I use the flick jump technique where I push with my arms .. and thighs .. and rotate my legs up under me. Im unable to overcome my lizard brain to change this so Im trying to make it work again Im doing pushups and practicing my popups on the floor but the improvement is coming very slowly. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this ? any other exercises to recommend ? thanks in advance PS stay away from Masson - I liked him because he was so sports oriented but it turned out to be the worst decision of my life go with Radsak or Herschel in orlando - or go to the mayo clinic

-------------------------
 07/06/2021 11:29 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Well that sucks. I went to Masson and he was nothing short of a miracle worker for me.
 07/08/2021 10:12 AM

beachboyatwork

Im currently doing PT with a sports oriented Physical Therapy company. Unfortunately they specialize in team sports. Has anyone had any experience with a Physical therapist who understands the mechanics involved in surfing ? Or can anyone recommend a PT person who has helped them through a surfing related injury? thanks

07/08/2021 10:36 AM

RiddleMe

Joined Forum: 07/21/2011

Space coast orthopedics and sports medicine has a PT that surfs, Nadine. She got me back to tip top shape after my rotator cuff surgery
 07/11/2021 07:26 AM

beachboyatwork

Thanks for the recommendation - Ill get in touch with tem

Statistics
146494 users are registered to the 2nd Light Forums forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in to the forum.

FuseTalk Basic Edition - © 1999-2024 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

First there was Air Jordan .